Justin Jackson a lock?

I’d cut Playstation and Jefferson and keep Jackson. I doubt the team brass will do that but that would be my approach. Neither Reynolds or Jefferson is getting rostered.

If you do that you can keep Alexander who I think has the potential to change a game or two. Now Alexander may have to go once Jamo is ready. At that point Jackson can return kicks. If alexander is proving to be an elite returner through the first quarter of the season then that’s a good problem to have.

I totally acknowledge this scenario is VERY unlikely but that’s what I’d do.

Cut Benson, Kennedy (cut him again just for the thrill of it), Iggy and Reynolds.

Brad should do the Oprah thing.

1 Like

Is there any chance we can cut Boyle twice? That’s the direction my instinct goes…

6 Likes

A re-lance? Not sure. I think that’s like double dipping the chip.

1 Like

Iggy is the Fullback until Cabinda comes off IR.
Given Cabinda’s lack of availability, the smart move may be to keep the guy that has been available.

Swifty
Williams
Reynolds
Jackson
Cabinda

5 Likes

I really like Jackson and his two kick returns yesterday were great. If those are our four running backs for the season then I’m happy.

Jefferson should easily make the practice squad. IGGY is a dime a dozen IMO. He’s just a decent kick returner with fumbling issues. If he was a dynamo at both punt and kick returns than he would stick

4 Likes

I see Reynolds as J Williams primary backup and Justin Jackson as Swift’s primary backup. I feel like they could each be rb#3 or 4 depending on the matchup. Justin Jackson definitely had more burst and big play ability. Reynolds is a better between the tackles runner who can bully you.

I’d like to see Jackson returning kicks so I think he may the rb#3 role over Reynolds. Ultimately I’m happy with both.

I think Jermar and Godwin gets cut. I also think we try to stash both of those guys on the practice squad.

3 Likes

YES

1 Like

Well this didn’t age well. I’m shocked. Thought he popped every time he touched the ball.

4 Likes

The eye test definitely favored him over Jefferson. Jackson looked like a good backup RB for when Swift gets injured again. Jefferson, well he looked like a what he was, a 7th round pick

4 Likes

The only cut that I don’t agree with and well, how could you? If they put him on the PS, well, fine I guess but he is the only legit RB to take over if Swift goes down.

3 Likes

I mentioned this a while back, but Jefferson was one of those he highlighted in camp as maturing as a pro. How he was doing it the right way. Always left me wondering. Who knows…maybe Jackson doesn’t have the right attitude. Maybe they really like what Jefferson was adding as a blocker on special teams. I will continue to trust these guys.

4 Likes

I didn’t think so. They used Jefferson in a lot of the short yardage and goal line situations. I felt that was a telling tail that Jefferson was viewed as the short yardage back.

1 Like

There probably is some truth to this. Jackson must not be a great team guy because he certainly has produced. Might not be worth the headache to be RB3…

Statically, he is a very good NFL backup RB.

Jackson has a injury history as well, may have been part of it.

He sure looked better than Jefferson though

3 Likes

Ah yea I don’t agree with this take. He is 5’ 10" , 212 lbs, not your typical short yardage back and he doesn’t run like one. I think DC was testing his ability, but did you honestly see him do anything in short yardage?
I’m going to trust DC on this one, the rest of the cuts and roster seemed reasonable and was in line with how he spoke of keeping the guys willing to make the plays.
This was the only one that somewhat baffled me. Jackson during the preseason games just looked far more decisive, followed his blockers better, and seemed to have more vision …IMHO

3 Likes

Better burst as well.

1 Like

Jeff Risdon

@JeffRisdon

Couple of Lions tidbits… Expect Justin Jackson back in Detroit Expect AJ Parker to be claimed on waivers

I’d think he’d be signed after week 1 so that his base isn’t guaranteed. Same with Malcolm Brown.

4 Likes

This feels FANTASTIC, especially the rate at which their perspective positions get injuries. It basically means we kept them, but had a pecking order as to who to keep.

That would be excellent!