Kelvin still high on Barnes

2 Likes

Not sure why so many are ready to give up on rookies after the first year?
The NFL is hard! Very few players just step in a take off. There’s a learning curve. It’s a faster game.

8 Likes

Offseason fluff articles are the best, every player is going to bust out and “turn the corner” :blush:

I think Barnes will clearly be better this year. That’s not saying much considering how lost he was as a rookie (understandably), but if you stay patient and develop these middle rounders over a couple years it can pay off. Wasn’t AO a 5th round pick as well? Barnes may not light the world on fire this season but if he keeps improving and learning, it’s possible he could be the next AO eventually

6 Likes

Shhhhh…you might wake Cap up.

3 Likes

1h

Shhhhh…you might wake Cap up.

My contention last year is that Barnes was being mis-handled. Mark DeLeone was fired and Sheppard stated Barnes needed someone to show confidence in him, need I say more. I have a bowl of crow for any takers. GO LIONS, I believe the Lions will make the playoffs this year, and Barnes will play a major part in their success.

3 Likes
2 Likes

I sure freaken hope you are right!!

3 Likes

Especially if you’re constantly changing positions in college and then again in the pros.

2 Likes

I posted awhile ago on a LB thread how Barnes production compared to his snap count was much better than Anzalone.

Anzalone 828 defensive snaps
Barnes 448

Anzalone 78 total tackles, 1 sack, 1 TFL
Barnes 67 total tackles, 2 sacks, 4 TFL

4 Likes

That is a good thought and probably close to the truth, or some of the issues with DeLeone.

That, or maybe he just scared the living hell out of everyone when he dressed up as a clown for Halloween

The Devils Rejects GIF by hero0fwar

1 Like

Personally I though Barnes showed more upside than Anzalone but I have to point out that Barnes was asked to play down hill more while Anzalone was asked to cover more space. That could easily skew the numbers in Barnes favor.

Personally I think that nearly our entire front 7 played like crap last year. That makes it hard to evaluate any player.

2 Likes

Heck… even look at per snap production for Roquan Smith in his rookie season. Barnes had 2 passes defensed…. so if he would have played double the snap to be on similar level as Roquan… that equals a pace of……

134 tackles, 4 sacks, 8 TFLs, and 4 PD.

1 Like

In regards to the original post, listening to that interview Kelvin sounded high on everyone, which he should be at this time of year

I mean can you see DeLeone saying that last gif when Barnes or anyone else asked a question during film reviews?

Barnes looks very good to me except when he blows his assignment. He is very fast, tackles well, sheds, and hit the hole. I think he sometimes miss-reads or miss-steps and now he is out of position.

Play recognition is his biggest growth area and the fact that he was able to cover Lazar in the endzone against GB and properly read the play speaks to his growth and abilities.

I’m bullish on his future this year.

3 Likes

He gets where he needs to go a lot, but it’s almost like he panics with his tackling. He sumo tackles a lot. Would like to see him deliver some pop more and drive through some thigh pads. You can hit and wrap up. More mentorship Chris!

1 Like

I think I was the high guy on Barnes leading up to the 2021 draft. Here’s what I know.

• He can tackle and has stopping power
  • He can rush the passer a bit
  • He can run with Most TEs, many RBs and some WRs

The question is whether he figures it out above the neck.

If so sky is the limit IMO. Talented kid.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 240 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.