Kenneth Walker III sitting out Peach Bowl

That is a real bummer for the quality of that game.

I totally understand this guy’s position and decision, though. I’d probably do the same.

3 Likes

Of course.

I think there was a rumor that the Pitt QB was thinking of sitting out as well.

That would be mistake the QB list is weak an to move up you need to show more than few games against good teams

One injury in that game could cost them millions.

Not playing is the only rational, logical decision. Pickett is a possible top 15 selection if he does nothing between now and draft day. Kenneth Walker is a first-rounder. Neither can do anything in a Bowl game to increase on their existing value.

12 Likes

This X 100!

1 Like

I agree. When will the first player on a College Football Playoff team not play not play in the game? I’m sure that would be a red flag for some teams, but essentially no different from skipping a lesser bowl.

1 Like

Players want to play for a chance at a championship. Winning a meaningless bowl game means nothing, hence so many players sitting them out.

2 Likes

Bc of the playoff all non playoff bowl games are pointless. This isn’t the rose bowl of the 80’s, 90’s and early 2000’s……it’s all playoff focused……needs to be more teams.

3 Likes

If this is true, then why don’t they start sitting out after they’re eliminated from contention earlier in the season? These are meaningless games by that measure.

I think it’s great to know which players are going to chase dollars over going to battle with their team. This behavior won’t change in the NFL.

Honestly I would question their judgement more if they didn’t sit out.

7 Likes

God this old gem of a hot take. Sorry, but you dont go to work for the love of your staff. You go to work to put food on the table and provide for yourself and or your family. These are humans that play the game. Any normal human in their situation, including yourself, is going to do what’s best for their career. Give me a break with the “oh this guy is so tough and awesome because he put his livelihood on the line for the love of the game.” There aren’t too many Ronny Lotts out there these days, the money is too high, the stakes are too high, and the length of the career is way too short. You seriously going to put your future career of 150 million dollars on the line for the Courtyard by Marriott Bowl TM, just so Joe football fan can raise his beer to the sky in honor of how tough and team oriented you are?

7 Likes

No interest in watching the game now unless I’m bored.

Tru dat.

If I could play against the Spartans DBs as my last game before the draft, I would. Especially without Walker playing.

Not worth the risk

2 Likes

OMG!!

Willis McGahee thinks this is a great decision.

2 Likes

Didn’t this happen in a game where they were actually playing for a championship?

I am of two minds on this. On one hand, I understand and even recommend that sure first rounders go ahead and skip the Charmin. com Tidy Bowls of the world. However, if your team is playing for a national championship and you decide that your draft stock is more important, that would give me pause as a GM.

Yes, it is a business decision. But football players already have to be partially insane to play a game that is most likely going to give you CTE later in life. Do I want to draft a guy that cares more about money than championships? A guy that is all about the business of the game, and not the love of hoisting a trophy with his brethren. I don’t know…

I never cared much for Brett Favre for obvious reasons, but something my father once said stuck with me. We were watching a commercial for Wrangler jeans and they had Favre outside with a bunch of people playing a game of pick up football. My dad said, “This is a believable commercial, because I could see Favre doing that. He loves the game that much.” That is the kind of player you want on your roster, and I don’t know that a person skipping a championship game for fear of a major injury that he has spent all year avoiding screams “passionate about the game” to me.

1 Like