Kerby Joseph ahead of the curve

5 Likes

I think this dude, as well as Mitchell, will surprise a lot of ppl. Really high ceiling…coached by guys that get the ceiling out of most players.

3 Likes

Barring injury he should earn third man in his group
He doesn’t seem the SS type so I’m not sure he was their first choice

2 Likes

I’m predicting Brad gets the DL right personnel-wise next offseason. They will be largely healed and largely talented, but still have a bit to go.

This year, guys are going to have to fight their way into the offensive backfield.
This year, our better players will be double teamed and schemed around.
This year, they will face more adversity, and get used to it.

…then…next year…We mix in our best defensive player at DT, and he requires double teams every play…then…
-Hutch’s life is easier
-McNeil’s life is easier
-Paschal’s life is easier (I think he becomes a starting DE by year’s end)
-Whoever ends up at the edge/rush positions (Harris? Okwara? Houston?)…they all do better with the new monster DT

Once this DL is established → the Safeties and Corners have an easy life.

When they come up in run support, it will be someone who is still focused on the route (most likely some sort of timing route/hot route) that is designed to get out quickly. That way, it’s not a guy with a full head of steam, wether it’s a RB cutting and/or fighting his way through the “wash,” or a TE/WR that is still focused on catching a pass and hasn’t turned up field yet. These are much easier tackles.

I think he was one of their top choices. If you look at our current safety group - Walker is a hybrid, Elliot a hybrid, but leaning more towards a nickel, and the rest of the guys are box safeties (Moore, Harris, Melifonwu if he switches). If you look at Walker’s highlight plays, more of them come in tackling/run support rather than center-fielder plays. We lacked a pure cover safety, and this guy fits the bill.

4 Likes

I’m not nearly as confident as you that DT will be a major priority next year. They invested in McNeil and Levi already, and I believe they see Paschal as an interior pass rusher on passing downs.

The way they talk about McNeil is that he will be that dominant force. I honestly could see us target another pass rusher next year. Someone with a little more speed on the edge. Hutchinson has great speed for his size, but it’s not game changing speed on the edge, IMO.

Romeo may very well be a cap casualty next year and Harris is not the answer, although he makes excellent depth. Paschal is more of a run stopper on early downs and interior pass rush threat. Just my two cents as of now.

2 Likes

I can see all of this playing out the way you say as well. I think with Brockers exiting, we get a DT.
Also–> you know me…a TON of that may be wishful thinking. LOL. I LOVE monster DTs, and what they do for a defense.
If it were me making the decision…even if McNeil was the best DT in the NFL, I’d be totally down for drafting the 2nd best DT in the NFL to sit next to him. LOL

Holy Shit did I ever love watching Jones/Fairley/Suh/Ansah.

1 Like

I definitely get it. I personally think having two excellent edge rushers has more value then two excellent DTs. Now if McNeil and Levi struggle this year then that changes everything for me.

I just feel like when you have two DTs it’s easier to double team them in the middle. Whereas on the edge, you can usually only double team one of them unless you have a TE stay in and block and a RB chip the other side which severely limits the options of an offense.

1 Like

You have lots of company here. It’s summer and that’s what we do, or at least I do: Airbrush the coming season just like I regularly do with my personal flaws… It’s a beautiful world!! :cowboy_hat_face: :cowboy_hat_face: :cowboy_hat_face: This year it may still be a beautiful world in January!!
lions GIF

3 Likes

Funny … :crazy_face:

1 Like

I think DT will be a need early next year — R1 or 2
Brockers … yup gone after this year
Unless they find a nice backup in FA

Long way until next year
Still need to determine if we will need a QB

2 Likes

I’m more Jackson Pollack if he was given a paintball gun and meth.

Gonna be a trade up for the DT equivalent of a J-Will type trade/impact. :wink:

Kerby hasn’t played much safety, he was a WR I believe. But, his 5 picks last year show he can hunt the football, and the Lions sure need playmakers in the secondary. Last year are starting safeties had 1 INT all season, and that was in game 17 vs Jordan Love and the Packers backups on the last play of the game. Harris and Walker were 1 play away from 0 combined INT’s.

1 Like

Wow. Yeah, some turnovers would be nice. Random tidbit: the 2014 Lions had 20 interceptions. Glover Quin had 7. He was probably our last really good cover safety, although somehow, despite his lack of production, I still have faith that Walker will turn it on. Sometimes interceptions are so random.

1 Like

Pass rush is the key I think!! Start smashing QB’s consistently and the INT’s will increase.

4 Likes

Agree…something that Walker has never had.

1 Like

Let’s go Kid!!!

Nfl Draft Football GIF by SportsManias

1 Like

Y E S!

Uh-oh. You can have the paintball gun and meth if it will help with Den content this summer. But don’t get behind a steering wheel…