Keys to AZ game

DON’T get a pick 6 to start the game. . That didn’t work well last year

1 Like

1 Like

I would play with a few different concepts. And yes, part of that gameplan would include being really conservative and make Murray make throw after throw after throw…like Austin used to do during the 2016 season. I would mix that in with some pressure packages. I definitely would not “bring the house” very often, if at all. I don’t want to create a situation where he can get some cheap scores, I want him to make him earn it.

One interesting note to remember is that if we flush him from the pocket, it allows us to put our hands on his receivers downfield because of NFL rules. I am most interested in seeing how he handles it when defenders get close. In college and in the preseason, he protected himself by jumping on the ground. That’s cute when you are rarely under pressure (college) or the game doesn’t matter (preseason), but what happens when you have someone in your face 10+ times a game?

Risdon: This is the easiest game on the Lions schedule. Arizona is led by rookie coach Kliff Kingsbury, who could not coax a winning record with future NFL MVP Patrick Mahomes at Texas Tech. It’s flyweight QB Kyler Murray’s debut, too. Both starting CBs are out, and the best player on the defense is likely 36-year-old newcomer Terrell Suggs. Their special teams don’t look much improved from last year’s dismal unit, too. The Cardinals have improved, but not enough to threaten the Lions unless the Lions help them out with dumb penalties and turnovers.

Schlitt : The Lions can’t afford to get out of the gate slowly this season. While Arizona’s combination of coach Kyle Kingsbury and quarterback Kyler Murray seems like the perfect marriage, it’s a lot to ask of them to have all the answers this early in their tenure. The Lions match up very well against the Cardinals and their defense should shine, but I’m expecting a Matthew Stafford to T.J. Hockenson connection to have people talking on Monday.

1 Like

Agree with everything said here. Also, didn’t know both their starting CBs are out…Oof

This is from Kyle Meinke over at MLive on this year’s 1st game vs last year’s in response to a question:

A: Huge difference. This time last year, that locker room was leaking like a sieve. Many players weren’t happy, about the practices, about the schedule, about Matt Patricia’s temperament, his dismissiveness, and I think the blame is shared on both sides. Players did need some toughening up after the Jim Caldwell years. Then again, Patricia made mistakes implementing his system too, and he’d be the first one to tell you about it.

People around Allen Park believe that played into the 31-point loss against the New York Jets. And can you blame them? How else do you lose by 31 points to Sam Darnold on his first night on the job?

But this year, the difference is stark. There was very little drama during camp. Patricia was still intense, still ran a tough program, but was cooler at the same time, more in control. I think Patricia has made meaningful changes to his style, and I think players also better understand what to expect from him. That helps too.

Last year there was a lot of grumbling and turmoil, not so this year. I do not expect the same divisiveness this year, everybody seems to be on the same page especially on defense. Might take awhile for the offense to click, I suspect they’ll have some problems against the better defenses. But even so, having those TEs and Amendola to get the ball to has to be a big help to Stafford.

3 Likes

Is Chandler Jones going to miss the game as well?

Good point.

I love that you knew exactly what I was referring to.

1 Like