Latest Mock, Happy?

If we have a true run threat we also help the defense. Time of possession creates less offensive plays for the opposing O.
Our current run game consists of a few explosive plays based on a great blocking scheme. We need a true runner that can consistently pick up 5-7 yards on missed block plays.
We both want the same thing, how we get there can be debated. But a great offense IS a good defense.

4 Likes

@WestCoastLionsFan

There is almost definitely not going to be a defensive player available at 7 that will make or break us having the 16th defense versus the 30th defense. At 3? I’ll listen to that argument, but not at 7.

Also just because we already have a top 5 offense doesn’t mean we can just stop using assets on it.

5 Likes

Well who you getting rid of, Jacobs or Okaduh as starters. Taking 2 corners with both 1st Rd picks is over kill , and neglecting other positions of need.

We definitely need another top corner but rather have the top RB sense AP that happens to fit what Campbell wants to do and fits our Oline strength. Campbell’s already talking about wanting to fix the Running game and how important it is.

Seems like there alot of knee jerk reactions to this last loss. These guys help put together a 5 game win streak after going 1-6 . It’s not a easy thing to do.

3 Likes

Exactly they have built a high power offense there not going to start ignoring it now, offense has been a priority sense this rebuild started.

2 Likes

Don’t want ringo and not high on Gonzalez, he is anemic to tackling….don’t think he fits the culture. Porter has stiff hips. I like him a lot but my number 1 is cam and then porter. But wtf do I know? If they take ringo then I’ll trust them and be excited.

2 Likes

I think tackling is real import to Dan and crew, Porter is a good fit but I also think I like Cam the best. But I think Branch might be the guy we need.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t disagree w that at all mouse, especially if Safety is such a need. Cam doesn’t get the ball thrown at all. Fluid hips etc.

1 Like

I was looking through the DBs that are coming out this year today and paid attention to the QB rating when targeted.

Porter 73.7
Ringo 67.7
Smith 61.0
Branch 87.7
Phillips 73.6
Gonzalez 79.3
Williams 100.0
Witherspoon 44.0
Forbes 61.9
Hodges-Tomlinson 48.1
Turner 62.1
Blu Kelly 93.9
Garner 84.2
Moss 75.4

Anyone familiar (@Thats2, @Air2theThrown, @HSVLion , @CuriousHusker ) with these ratings, I’d be interested in your take.

1 Like

He tries pretty hard, he’s just not very good at it. He’s too slight. But he really improved this year especially in one-on-one situations, he was pretty good at getting guys to the ground by whatever means necessary.

I prefer my CBs to be junkyard dogs and he’s not that, but I’m trying not to hold it against him. Asomogha, Revis, Bradberry, Champ Bailey, etc… there’s plenty of CBs who were silent assassins or more entertaining than mean and they were all excellent players.

5 Likes

I’m not sure what to make of it. It would seem the lower the better, but there’s a lot of context that goes into that number that we’re not privy to. Were they in zone or man? How accurate were the passes? That sort of thing.

Came here to say this. If he ends up becoming a stud I will gladly eat crow. I just don’t want to take the chance with him. Not in the first. But honestly just, no.

1 Like

Nope. Absolutely impossible.

The defense will be irreparably cursed if we don’t choose a defensive player with our first round pick. Value doesn’t matter. Position doesn’t even matter. Actually NOTHING ELSE MATTERS.

Even is we spend our entire cap signing defensive players and filling our defensive holes we should still just blindly pick defense.

Heck, even if bijan were to inexplicably drop to the third round and we have 1st round grade we shouldn’t take him. Just off of principle. Even if it’s not a scheme or culture fit… we should just pick defense. no matter what. Did I mention defense? DeFeNsE!

Joey porter brings me pause. I agree with the stiff hips. Not as bad as dingo but scares me. I know it might be the jersey color but he reminds me of AO sometimes. I feel like we NEED that cam smith type.

I don’t have game film on Gonzalez so can’t agree/disagree about his softness. But that would be disappointing because I like the rest of his game.

1 Like

That was just a passing comment. He is a very good cover…but I have heard he doesn’t like to tackle and that is something we depend on in this scheme….the corners helping the run game.

2 Likes

In the Michigan game they could have called PI on almost every play. He did nothing but grab/tug all the way throughout the route. I think he will get called early and often in his NFL career. If he gets away with it, he could be a good player.

He definitely wasn’t afraid of contact. He was all over the place.

1 Like

Drop The Mic GIF by In Real Life

4 Likes

Well it could be done… heres a mock that takes care of things

1 Like

I love the story Steve Smith tells about Champ Bailey. He talked about how strong he was, and that he could physically dominate alot of receivers before the other attributes would even be necessary. Then he talked about how Champ would cover the other teams best receiver NO MATTER WHERE HE WENT. Alot of “top” corners will stay on one side of the field or they will change coverage assignments depending on where the top receiver is lined up. But if you lined the top WR up at RB, Champ would line up at LB. Steve joked that if he went out to his car in the parking lot, Champ would be the parking attendant. He went everywhere no matter what.

I learned a valuable lesson with Revis. I didn’t appreciate how good he was because he made it look so easy and effortless. I was used to Deion Sanders and how he handled his business. I didn’t realize how effortless fast and brutally strong Revis was. When he ran a 4.38 forty I immediately thought “there’s no way he’s that fast.” What I failed to realize at that moment is that his natural speed was one of the reasons why he could make things look so effortless.

One thing I will say about the list of great CBs we have seen over the years is that nearly all of them were available for the right price. That’s the interesting part of top flight corners. If you want one, all you have to do is pay the asking price and you can usually have him. So I don’t like spending a premium pick on one. Just let another team do it, and if the kid works out you can trade for him or sign him in free agency.

4 Likes

If the Saints blow it up this offseason like they probably should, I wonder what the asking price on Marshon Lattimore would be?

5 Likes

Why do I have to get rid of anyone? I’m not advocating taking two corners in the first round. I would though if the alternative is taking a running back at 7. Let’s not pretend that jacobs and okudah are all pro’s. They can both be replaced by better talent. Or perhaps we draft one outside corner and one that’s great at nickel. Jacobs provides great depth or even possibly moves to safety. Who knows. The bottom line is that we clearly need more talent in our secondary.

1 Like