Let the Games Begin for College Players - $$$

I’ve shared by limited knowledge. It has the potential to get dirty with boosters involved. We all know that.

3 Likes

Yea, I could see this getting very ugly, fast.

If you transfer to my school, Nike will give you a 5 mill NIL deal. If you stay at your current school, sorry no Nike deal for you. It’s going to lead to kids transferring all over the place to the highest bidder. Essentially free agency during your college years.

2 Likes

They used to not get paid. So why not equal pay. I mean free education sounds like a hell of a deal already. This is going to kill the college game

Don’t worry NCAA is top of this.

1 Like

For the reason I just said, players are not equal… They don’t have the same abilities, they don’t stand to lose the same future, they don’t contribute the same in the field, they shouldn’t be paid the same.

3 Likes

Then do it in a fair way. So if you have a 5 star qb making millions, but the 3 star SR qb who is starting doesn’t make that much, but guess who is sitting the bench, then he wants to transfer because he didnt start.

I think that’s basically what’s going to happen with these NIL deals. The top players are going to get huge NIL deals. The average players won’t get much. And the majority of the roster, backups and special teamers, won’t get any NIL deals but they will still get scholarships for free tuition.

2 Likes

I think they call it “NIL” so it doesn’t sound like much.
All of the top recruits will be at a handful of schools. NCAA has leaned that direction for awhile now anyway. Maybe this actually levels the playing field, as people from MI schools are smarter and better looking. Does that mean they make more money and pay recruits more? I dunno?

Up next, CMU becomes the sports Mecca of the universe!

2 Likes

Hahaha I don’t see that happening any time soon bud.

2 Likes

Things are definitely changing, and I have no idea how it will shake out. But let’s be real: college football didn’t change when they started paying players. It changed when colleges and conferences and the NCAA turned it into a multi-billion dollar business, where everybody EXCEPT the guys putting their bodies on the line were making bank. Players getting their fair slice of the cash they’re making for everybody else in the system is only a “problem” because everybody else got used to exploiting them.

3 Likes

I get but happens if player a makes a million player b makes nothing. But player doesn’t play but player b does. So now player wants the same amount as player a. Its going to be a wet mess.

1 Like

Hot and sweaty mess for sure! Also, it might force coaches to play players that are being paid more in NIL’s. Pressure from those companies on schools to play certain players.

Can coaches pay players? :thinking:

It’s not just how good a player you are, but what position you play, how you dress, how you act, if you have no personality, are ugly, and dress really poor, it won’t matter if you’re good at football because you’re not good at selling Nike.

1 Like

Sounds like poor coaching/recruiting, no plan… You do bring up an interesting point about keeping paid five star prospects happy, they’ll want to play earlier to maximize their monetary gain and boosters will want them to play earlier to justify their investments

1 Like

Sounds like TJ Hockenson :grimacing:

Yes…services contracts for the department or university to wash the money.

1 Like

Social media and being an Instagram star are going to be so important to this equation.

Word. Completely agree.

1 Like