Let's review just how bad our 2019 draft class was

Hockenson - Gone, but we did get back a 2nd and a 3rd
Tavai - Gone, horrible reach
Harris - Somehow resigned, but many thought he’d be gone
Bryant - Gone
Oruwariye - Gone, had one good year and fell off a cliff
Fulgham - Gone, flashed in Philly and now I’m pretty sure he’s out of the league
Johnson - Gone, but did sign a second contract with the Jets today
Nauta - Gone, and was barely even here
Johnson - Did he even play a snap?

Good lord is this night and day from a Holmes draft class.

10 Likes

A shame that I thought drafts like those were normal. :man_facepalming:t5:

5 Likes

Yup, that’s just butt ass ugly. What a waste of a draft class. An entire year lost. It’s so nice to have competent people in the most important positions.

2 Likes

I’ll see your 2019 and raise you a 2017

|1|Jarrad Davis, 21
|2|Teez Tabor, 53
|3|Kenny Golladay, 96
|4|Jalen Reeves-Maybin, 124
|4|Michael Roberts, 127
|5|Jamal Agnew, 165
|6|Jeremiah Ledbetter, 205
|6|Brad Kaaya, 215
|7|Pat O’Connor, 250

1 Like

This is your punishment

I would take Jamal Agnew back in a heartbeat

2 Likes

Yeah, he had a couple Special Teams successes in 2017. Not the quality draft we needed.

No wonder this team has sucked for so long. Total incompetence, that’s very ugly too.

3 Likes

Golladay was good here at least, and he got us the comp pick that became Kerby Joseph, so that’s at least better than anything we have from 2019 right now.

9 Likes

Golladay was a very good WR for the Lions (better than No. 7 overall Corey Davis), and was a Pro Bowler in 2020.

JRM was a solid special teams player and spot starter.

Agnew was a First Team All Pro as a returner and a Pro Bowler in 2022 for the Jags.

O’Connor has managed to stick on the Bucs roster as a backup from 2017 to the present.

I’d venture to say that quality-wise, 2017 was better, but 2019 had a little better quantity.

3 Likes

I mean, you could say Hock was a two time pro bowler…but literally its him and KG in two drafts and a shit ton of horrific picks…way to go Bob Quinn…at least Matt Millen is a likable human being.

3 Likes

Yeah well a lot of these guys are still in the NFL in one capacity or the other. Hock and Agnew Pro Bowlers. These were the bad classes. His better ones still make up a not insignificant portion or our team that we love so much righ now. And this staff just brought back another Quinn draft pick in Glasgow. So 4/5ths of our “awesome” Oline, may just be completely due to Bob Quinn. Just sayin.

3 Likes

I never thought Quinn was bad at drafting

A lot of this can be blamed on Patricia and his coaches inability to develop guys.

5 Likes

Yep. You go back to that timeframe and Vrable was in the discussion, with links to the Pats/Quinn. He was the total Dan Campbell type pick. The leader of men over the X’s and O’s experience guy. You wonder what would have happened if that would have been his HC of choice as opposed to the Sith Lord.

1 Like

With the exception of transcendent guys like Calvin Johnson, the trajectory of players is dependent on the team they are drafted into. I feel pretty bad for talented guys who get drafted into bad situations. Same (moreso) in baseball.

Imagine Hockenson getting drafted into the MCDC staff instead of the shitshow he got.

2 Likes

Glasgow is from the 2016 draft class. Quinn’s class that year is one he can pound his chest over. He didn’t draft multiple hall of famers (like the 70s Steelers), but the number of players he drafted that were legit NFL players who had extended careers was rare.

I took a hiatus from following the Lions closely after that draft.

I hated every pick until AO… and still didn’t have much hope for him… plus I never really “expect” 5th round picks or later to have big roles.

1 Like

Thanks. My Christmas shopping is going to be a breeze this year.

2 Likes

Don’t forget to throw in one of these:

4 Likes

dear god no GIF

2 Likes