Let's take a stroll through the top of the 2020 NFL Draft, shall we?

1. Cincinnati Bengals - Joe Burrow, QB. The Bengals have found their long-term solution at QB, so long as he comes back from his knee surgery OK, and most do these days.

2. Washington Football Team - Chase Young, DE.
Former Ohio State star Chase Young having a monster rookie season for Washington
“We see him as a leader on this team. We kind of feed off of his energy.” Ryan Kerrigan

4. NY Giants - Andrew Thomas, OT
Earlier in the season, the No. 4-overall pick out of Georgia was going through an alarming slump, as issues with new techniques he was being taught led to him frequently getting beat inside and becoming a liability on a long-maligned unit. But since the month of November began, Thomas has started to become the sort of player the Giants expected: Pro Football Focus noted that in a four game stretch in November, Thomas only allowed eight pressures (Compared to 36 beforehand) and saw his pass-blocking grade improve to 69.6. Link.

5. Miami Dolphins - Tua Tagovailoa, QB.
Dolphins Tua Tagovailoa nominated for NFL Rookie of the Week.
Tua Tagovailoa records his first 300-yard passing game for Dolphins

6. LA Chargers, Justin Herbert, QB.
Justin Herbert closing in on NFL rookie record for passing touchdowns

7. Carolina Panthers - Derrick Brown, DL.
Panthers DT Derrick Brown leads all NFL rookies in run stops

8. Arizona Cardinals - Isaiah Simmons, LB.
Isaiah Simmons beginning to make impact for Cardinals.

9. Jacksonville Jaguars - C.J. Henderson, CB.
Jacksonville Jaguars might’ve found their starting cornerback duo
(He did just go to I.R., though.)

10. Cleveland Browns - Jedrick Wills, OT.
Jedrick Wills Jr. Proving He Was The Right Draft Choice For Browns
Jedrick Wills continues to impress - Browns left tackle earns rookie of the week honor as his solid season rolls along.

11. NY Jets - Mekhi Becton, OT.
Jets’ Mekhi Becton still leads AFC tackles in Pro Bowl vote

Oh, I’m sorry; I missed the Lions pick.

How’s he doing? Similarly as impactful? He must be more impactful, being a 3rd overall pick, right?

Looks like the Lions just had another EDIT “Martin Mayhew dart-board draft.” You know, like the one in 2011, where EDIT Mayhew could have thrown a dart at a dart board with all of the next-best available players and hit on a good to very good to All Pro to future Hall of Famer. Instead it went like this:

13 Detroit Nick Fairley (DT) Auburn
14 St. Louis Robert Quinn (DE) UNC
15 Miami Mike Pouncey © Florida
16 Washington (T Ryan Kerrigan (DE) Purdue
17 New England Nate Solder (OT) Colorado
18 San Diego Corey Liuget (DT) Illinois
19 NY Giants Prince Amukamara (CB) Nebraska
1 Like

Will… not… defend… Matt… Millien…

Will… not… defend… Matt… Millien…

but…

I was pretty pumped when we got Fairley and was shocked he was so useless as a pro?

I remember there were some character questions about him, but he looked like a legit top 10 talent coming out of college. What a waste.

2 Likes

That was martin mayhew. Not millen.

Oh duh, of course I don’t know what my deal is.

I’m fine defending that pick for Mayhew. Except for the fact that it probably made him more comfortable picking Ebron in 2014 instead of Aaron Donald.

1 Like

My bad! I get my failed Detroit Lions drafters confused sometimes. Corrected.

For the record, Millen had a dart-board draft in 2005, when he drafted “Big” Mike Williams, WR 10th overall.

The next picks:

11. Dallas Cowboys - DeMarcus Ware, DE
Cowboys all-time sack leader, 9-time Pro Bowler, 4-time first-team All-Pro. NFL 2000s All-Decade Team.

12. SD Chargers - Shawne Merriman, LB
NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year, 3-time Pro-Bowler, 2-time first-team All-Pro.

13. N.O. Saints - Jammal Brown, OT.
Two-time Pro-Bowler, first-team All-Pro 2006. Played 7 seasons but had injury problems later.

14. Carolina Panthers - Thomas Davis, LB.
Three-time Pro-Bowler, first-team All-Pro 2015.

15. K.C. Chiefs - Derrick Johnson, LB.
Four-time Pro-Bowler, first team All-Pro 2011.

I hated that pick so much because of not getting Derrick Johnson. FFS.

Yeah that draft was literally a dartboard draft. Just don’t take the one guy it would be completely insane for you to take…

I wanted Jammal Brown with that pick, though I was sure we were going to take Derrick Johnson.

Inexcusable. Every Lions fan should be able to accurately know every draft pick by :heart: going back to Slip Watkins as an eleventh round draft pick out of LSU in the 1991 draft :thinking:. You should be able to accurately name the GM for all drafts even after drinking a case of Strohs and wandering through downtown Flint. Your performance has been noted and logged for future reference. You receive 0 points, and are in jeopardy of being banished to Hoboken, N.J. I hope your performance improves rapidly in the near future.

Fairley was “okay” when he was healthy, but he spent alot of time injured. Personally I wasn’t a huge fan of his coming out because I put too much stock in how someone speaks. I saw the segment he did with Gruden and the kid sounded like an idiot. I wanted DE Adrian Clayborne. He has been a solid contributor but definitely not the impact player I thought he was going to be.

I think the board’s favorite pick that year was Derrick Johnson. I remember Coyote kind of stood alone as being a huge Thomas Davis fanboy. He couldn’t stop talking about Thomas Davis and how good he was going to be. I remember some people tried to use revisionist history and say they were all about Ware and Merriman before the draft. I also remember some Prince Amukamara fans.

The sad thing is that Mayhew probably is the apex of GMs in Detroit.

Fairly was hurt his rookie yr, yet was a 2 time top 10 guy in pressure per snap, and went on to be a 2nd team all pro. Okudah will have to do a lot to be as good as Fairley was

1 Like

I was a Amukamara plugger.

Did anyone notice that the pick providing the least in the Top 11 in this year’s draft was ours?

We should rehire Bob Quinn just so we can fire him again.

4 Likes

He had the best Las Vegas wedding proposal.

Thomas Davis was a Safety in college and turned out to be a great LB. He showed everything in college for that switch, but his size held questions about his durability. While he had injury issues he played a long time.