Let's talk about WR Charlie Jones

Is this kid for real, or just a good college player? He is a super senior and only had 1 year of production. But whenever I watched Purdue this year he seemed to be the go to guy and Mr. Reliable. Thoughts?

2 Likes

Paging @CasanovaJack1

1 Like

He took it to Garrett Williams a few times. Not theceasiest thing to do. Trevor Seikema of PFF thinks he’s the best route runner in the draft and he’s a good enough athlete to have been Iowa’s KR.

1 Like

Ouija Board Horror GIF by Shudder

The biggest problem is he turns 25 during his rookie season. He could easily be a one contract player. Of course as a 3-5th rounder that’s not an awful ROI, but I doubt he goes any higher because of it.

He’s older than Tee Higgins, Ceedee Lamb, Jerry Jeudy and Justin Jefferson.

4 Likes

May have elements of Cooper Kupp in his game, e.g. intangibles, route running, hands, savvy, chemistry with his QB, work ethic, intelligence, etc. Biggest thing for him will likely be his numbers at the combine. Though Kupp wasn’t blazing there (4.62 40) some of his other numbers indicated he was a high-end athlete. Kupp’s RAS score was a middling 5.0. So the athletic testing numbers only tell a portion of the story when it comes to predicting success at the next level. Biggest difference between a guy like Jones and Cooper Kupp was the otherworldly production Kupp put down all four years at Eastern Washington. He won just about every award he could win in his four years with the Eagles, starting with the Jerry Rice Award as the top FCS freshman when he started all 15 games, making 93 catches for 1,691 yards and 21 touchdowns. As a sophomore, Kupp fought through an ankle injury but was still an All-American receiver (104-1,431, six TD), third-team punt returner (10-162, TD), and Academic All-American. He won all of those awards again in 2015, in addition to the Walter Payton Award as the FCS’s best player as he led the nation in all three major categories (114-1,642, 19 TD). Kupp again proved to be the best receiver in the FCS in 2016, leading all with 117 receptions, 1,700 receiving yards, and 17 receiving touchdowns in another consensus All-American season. So Jones put down one solid season statistically, is about 2 inches shorter and 15 lbs lighter, and is yet to test. Interesting late round look. Or is he just another Tom Kennedy…?

4 Likes

He probably falls into that tiny gap between Kupp and Tom Kennedy.

3 Likes

Charlie ■■■■■■■ Jones, had the worst passing QB in the B1G since the 60’s and left IOWA for a respectable QB. Purdue coaches admitted they had very little tape of him catching the ball but liked him for his return abilities. His contested catches aren’t really a contest, he catches them. He’s not going to disappoint whoever drafts him, I was on him from day 1 of this season because even with his limited chances at IOWA you could tell, I could anyway, this guy has the “it” factor. BTW, it’s why any team that needs a receiving TE should draft LaPorta this year as well, he got it done with the worst QB in the NCAA.

3 Likes

I do think LaPorta’s become pretty underrated.

2 Likes

Which is the very gap Holmes is paid the big bucks to deftly navigate. His mid/late-round hits on ARSB, Kerby Joseph, Alim, Rodrigo, and James Houston have inflated expectations for continuing jackpots outside of day 1. If he keeps it up, we may really have something cooking here.

3 Likes

He’s every bit as good as Hock,blocking isn’t much better but that SOB led IOWA in receiving 2 years in a row I believe. 3rd down, there was no question where the ball was going and yet. And he can be physical in the run after catch. 18 TE’s were drafted last season, average is like 11, he could really fall if teams aren’t looking this year.

1 Like

The quality of TE available on day 3 is going to be sometjing to behold.

3 Likes

:joy::rofl::rofl:

Yeah I think someone’s getting a really good player for great value. I don’t think it will be us, but who knows.

1 Like

2 Likes

I want TE Josh Whyle in the 6th. He needs to be the replacement for Cabinda. Gives us a starting FB who can catch the ball and depth for the TE group.

1 Like

Yep, he was only a 1 year wonder because IOWA was never going to take advantage of his skills. Last time I saw this was when “TE U” failed to use Kittle properly.

1 Like

I want that type of TE/FB for sure. He’s probably my favorite but I’d also be fine with Willis or Colletto. I have them all roughly graded out the same.

This is literally where I placed him. He’s a poor man’s Kupp or a rich man’s Kennedy. I’m not normally a fan of a guy with 1 year of production but sometimes that 1 year is so good it changes everything. This wasn’t a guy that had 40 catches and showed promise. This was a guy that delivered on 110 snags and looked damned impressive doing it. He was a legit problem for teams facing Purdue.

I love gambling because it puts me into the game, which puts things into a different perspective. For a few bucks you can buy what it is like to be a fan of a certain team or school. When I put a few dollars on Penn State playing Purdue I kept getting annoyed AF that they couldn’t stop this dude…Charlie Jones. He went 12 for 153. I had the same experience when I had money on Syracuse and Charlie went 11 for 188.

1 Like

Give him Cephus’ roster spot. What’s the worst that can happen?

1 Like