Lets Talk WRs in this 2022 Draft

Jaivon Heiligh*, WR, Coastal Carolina
Height: 6-0. Weight: 187.
Projected 40 Time: 4.45.

Rd 5 would be great pick up to add to Bell along with resign Reynolds… Brown… Cephus…would make a very solid corp

Kupp had a 4.62 40 time at the combine, which dropped his stock.

He is arguably the best WR in the league right now and never has a problem separating. He is also #1 at YAC and may be one of the best blocking WRs.

The one small downside is he can be caught from behind but that is almost never an issue.

Some scouts have called Burks a mix between Debo Samuel and DK Metcalf he is one of my favorite players in the draft.He is just a beast at every level of the field ot would be a homerun pick at the end of the 1st.

3 Likes

Those were the questions with him coming into the season, and the reason he vaulted up draft boards was because he answered them emphatically. For a guy his size, his separation, footwork and YAC were exceptional.

2 Likes

I think this was the guy Holmes banged the table for too and used advanced tech to measure how fast he was and threw away that timed 40.

In fact, here is what I am talking about (quick google): Brad Holmes shares story of Cooper Kupp’s emergence at Senior Bowl

GPS time

1 Like

Yeah St. Brown pretty much the same. In college he ran all the routes and understood how to get separation.

1 Like

Yes! Interesting way to put it. He can hit a home run on a quick screen, or get you a first down at 6’3" 230 plus you can throw him a 50/50 or back shoulder effectively.

Timed speed matters on deep routes, but for everything else how quickly you get in and out of your breaks is far more important.

3 Likes

Do you not like Olave in the top 5 because of his build? Maybe I value separation more than most, but when I see DaVonte Adams routinely give Rogers such a big window, it seems like such an advantage, esp. if you lack a QB with a rocket arm.

I do like Olave, right now I have him sixth. Personally he reminds me of a slightly faster Van Jefferson (great route runner, gets open easily, not much YAC, etc…) which is good, but I don’t think you’ll get anything more than a very good #2 out of him, and that high in the draft I’m looking for #1s.

1 Like

That’s interesting I hadn’t considered that comp, personally I think Olave is much more dynamic than Van Jefferson. He is a much better deep threat and he has significantly better hands and ball tracking - and much more productive. I can see where you make the comparison on the separation though. There is sort of a silky craftiness to both of their games with how they develop routes.

I will add this: I really like these top five or so WRs this year. Maybe moreso than even last years group. Chase would probably still be the top guy, but after that its up for grabs. Waddle is a weapon but I never liked him as much as some.

To me, Olave could easily be argued as the best WR in the class. I think probably not, but I can see a fair argument. People knock him for his catch point toughness, but when you are running seven yards open it doesn’t matter lol.

PS I can see an argument for 6th just as easily so…

1 Like

This is kind of a loaded question, so let me qualify a guy I’m going to be pounding the table for until he gets picked in the draft.

Campbell has not varied from Day one in saying he covets receivers that get separation, its pretty clear that Holmes values this as well. This doesn’t necessarily mean a blazing 40 time, it means quickness out of breaks, it means great route running, and having a natural instinct for finding those soft holes in zone coverage.

I think the days of contested catch, Kenny Golloday types aren’t returning anytime soon, so some prospects are going to be off the table that people are advocating for, and perhaps even think are self evident choices. I think the Lions are looking for a very specific type of receiver that checks all the aforementioned qualities as well as…

1. Team first chemistry energy.

2. A willing run blocker regardless of size.

3. A measurable and displayed desire to improve their craft.

When you have a QB like Goff, who seems to shy away from throwing contested catch balls, it makes sense to find a receiver that plays to his strengths.

There’s one receiver that has yet to be mentioned who has NOT been mentioned as yet, who is lightly regarded currently, but checks all the boxes.

Charleston Rambo.

Rambo is a guy I personally believe will be crashing the party moving up the boards, but we’ll see. However, given what he brings to the table and how it fits with what the organization has stated that they are looking for, I think his is a name we’ll hear often during mock draft season attached to the Lions.

3 Likes

Yeah Rambo is definitely a mid rounder I’ve had my eye on.

Just one? Lucky him. I have lots of separation issues…
Meagan Good Mommy Issues GIF by Prodigal Son

4 Likes

LoL. Niiice!

1 Like

W/O taking a WR in the first 2 rounds…

George Pickens
Justyn Ross
Wan’Dale Robinson
John Metchie III
Jerreth Sterns

The more I think of it the more I’m getting more interested in David Bell. He’s pretty good in just about every facet. Biggest con is that he doesn’t posses the greatest vertical speed even though I think he has plenty of speed personally. I hope he falls to 34 because he’s the type of receiver that really caters to Goff much like Aman-Ra. Bell on the outside and St. Brown in the slot.

2 Likes

Jalen Tolbert please

1 Like

I think we may end up getting two this year in the draft, especially if FA goes the way I think it will. Lots of Perriman types that don’t fit here. If they’re building a culture, it makes sense to get them from the start without the mileage.

Honest question (I think the answer is no, but I’m not up on the former Rams receivers except for Kupp) - has Goff ever had a receiver that routinely wins the contested catches…maybe that’s why we haven’t seen it? I think Cephus is the closest to that type this past year, and he got hurt early.

I’m with you in valuing separation, but I think there still may be a role for both types of receivers.