Lions #1 overall pick next year

We will be drafting again like in 2009 for the #1 overall pick , I don’t want to make the same mistake again picking a non dual threat and waste another decade . Non dual threat qb can give max like 5 wins for an average team . Dual threat qb can give like max 9 wins on an average team . May be the current Clemson qb or Malik Willis look good

Too funny because the only QB at this point that interests me is Howell. I personally didn’t care if a QB is a dual threat. Matt Stafford is plenty of athlete for my taste

1 Like

I don’t see how a team with a veteran Pro Bowl QB and a top 5ish o-line gets the top pick next year. Seems unlikely even with a bad defense.

6 Likes

Agreed. I expect to be in a similar spot 6-10ish

1 Like

No wonder Matt jones slides to the spot he belongs and trey lance got picked . These are the era of modern qbs like mahomes , trey lance , josh Allen and Murray . If any teams pick non dual threat qb they need to have a Luxry team around them

1 Like

Call me crazy if you want, but the Lions will win more games in 2021 than they did in 2020, calling it now.

11 Likes

Exactly- this isn’t a Jets/Jags type tank job. The Lions have a very competent QB, an impressive, motivated staff, and a top 3 OLine.

They just added an Ogden/Pace/Munoz-quality generational blue chip OT who, because we already have an excellent LT, will be plugged in and played at RT.

If healthy that group up front will road grade teams. Goff will regularly have an extra second or two or three to move through his progressions. Swift will run through gaping holes. Opposing corners will scramble to cover those extra counts. Everyone on that side of the ball suddenly gets better because of Sewell.

Yes, the Lions will lose a fair share of games because their defense is still poor and the wideouts are pedestrian. But let’s not get carried away with any nonsense about the Lions having a lock on 1OA. This isn’t that type of situation. https://youtu.be/yFbvl_JdKAI

3 Likes

Did the Texans disband and leave the NFL? The Jets are a powerhouse…or not. The Jags, Bears, and possibly an Erinless Packer team are all very beatable. There are other teams that are not world beaters, the Lions are not going to be as bad as many seem to think IMO. And we will have to see how it plays out, but I am confident that we will be pleased w/ Goff. But so many like to write him off b4 he even has taken one snap in a Lions jersey.

3 Likes

Amen… And I’ll also say qb won’t be a focal point… although we may pretend it is.

We can win with Goff. What we can really win with is a solid OL and DL

1 Like

The change in team culture rather than any specific player may be the greatest impact.

2 Likes

that QB who wins all those SB’s he sure is a duel threat or that guy P Manning sure was a duel threat or his brother.
What about that duel threat in GB or the Guy in steel town really a duel threat.
I guess i am missing something i mean baby says that the QB in san Fran is super good but Pats QB will suck how does he know?

Was the Lion QB in SB once an he is how old likely has more SB’s in him an he sure is a duel threat.

Lets all join hands with the KC QB an jump off the cliff to prove baby right

2 Likes

Arm talent is and always will be the most imported thing. Patrick mahomes and Josh Allen have elite arm talent. So if you are calling those two dual threats, then yes. I want a dual threat QB too lol.

My perception of a dual threat QB is different. Example, I wouldn’t take Lamar jackson if I could have him right now. I don’t believe that type of QB wins Super Bowls. I question Kyler murray too. Although I believe he has much more arm talent than jackson. But when Kyler was playing hurt last year and was unable to run, he sucked.

I’ll take a Baker mayfield, joe Burrow, over Kyler Murray all day everyday

3 Likes

Agreed my brother! The passion and excitement from that war room after we picked Sewell, that means so much to changing the losing culture of a team. And it means so much to us fans, we deserve leaders that actually care and have passion for football and winning like we do!

I think we are going to surprise a lot of people next year, the overall talent on the roster is clearly not playoff level yet, but we are going to be fighting, clawing and battling back in every game.

No reason we can’t battle for 2nd place, the Bears and Vikes sure don’t scare me. And if Rodgers somehow moves out of GB, look out Lions fans. ha ha :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Well… you saw the 3 teams who reunited the QB and WR’s they played with in College. We just took St. Brown. Ipso Fatso… the pick will be Kedon Slovis.

2 Likes

“That’s what Brady said”

2 Likes

I like the Archie Bunker tribute

1 Like

Goff hasn’t even played a snap and you already want to replace him and predict we will have the worst record in the NFL?

This might surprise you but the only QB to win more games than Goff since he entered the league is Tom Brady.

I think we will win more games than people think we will.

I don’t understand the infatuation some have for a dual threat QB. The same guys who wanted Stafford gone are already trying to replace Goff … why? … they gotta have the dual threat QB.

Someone please help me understand that infatuation? … The dual threat guys don’t win more games or more super bowls.

13 Likes

Goff is a two future first round pick downgrade from Stafford. Detroit let it’s #1 receiver walk in free agency. No other team took two hits like that in the off-season.

1 Like

If Goff is what a lot of people believe he is, then the lions will draft in the 12-15 range with their pick.

But if he’s not… and McVay is correct, lots of time and a solid running game won’t save the Leo’s from drafting high enough to be in the range of a:

Sam Howell
Kedon Slovis
Spencer Rattler
Desmond Ridder
Dustin Crumm

All of which, at this point, appears to be the top talent at the QB position next year.

We shall see how it plays how lions fans, just hold onto ur butts.

I don’t believe you can directly correlate the assets exchanged between 2 teams and apply that value to the skill of the players traded.

Well, I mean you can do whatever you want, but I believe there are a lot of different factors involved when trading a player.