Lions 2023 NFL draft prospect: O’Cyrus Torrence, OG, Florida

It’s about positional value. The Lions already have spent 3 1st round picks on the OL. They’ve spent another 3rd in Jonah who will need a raise after this season. The idea that they’re going to spend another 1st round pick on a player who can play ONLY guard is absurd. RG is not a high value position to begin with and then taking in the amount of resources already used on the OL when there are other, much more pressing needs into account. Then add in that he isn’t the best fit for what the Lions do and I’m putting his chances of being a Lion at about 1%.

1 Like

That was the whole point of posting it , this view is the opposite of what you guys been saying. Lol And how do you explain the love for Big V by this staff ? About the same type of player. Maybe you guys don’t know as much as you think. I rather spend a 1st Rd pic on a pro bowl G then take a chance on another Levi just for so called value.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t draft him in the first round but if he is still there with our second round pick he would probably be at the top of my list.

Big V and Glasgow only have one year on their contract and Torrence is a big mauler type of rg much like big V that I would prefer.

2 Likes

There’s a lot of guys like that for me.

FAU DE, Forbes CB, Campbell MLB, I can see how some have Ocyrus in here as well.

He’s the type of dude that you could trade up for end of round 1 or early Day 2.

I can see him going as high as Washington…while other have mentioned Jets as a possibility. So who knows… I defintiely want a stud RG next to Ragnow and Sewell.

That’s my mission for this draft. COMPLETE THE DOMINANCE on the right side

2 Likes

Wright is another guy I like and if he has position flexibility I like him even more. I heard some scouts say they would prefer him at guard and if he tore it up at the senior bowl thats a great sign.

He looked fantastic when lined up against Will Anderson.

In a couple years Sewell can slide to LT and Wright could slide to RT.

2 Likes

At this point I’m about ready to corner the Guard market and take Skoronski LG #6 and then Torrence RG #18

Could you imagine what would happen here LOL
@Cashmachine

He says multiple times that Torrence isn’t a great mover in space, which I agree with. But at the end of the article he says this:

“His power and straightforward athleticism fit what the Lions want from their guards in a gap-blocking scheme.”

This is where he loses me. It’s too simple to say we run a traditional gap-blocking scheme. It’s a combo scheme, gap with zone elements or vice versa, pure gap or pure zone. It’s actually quite brilliant, and within that scheme - whatever you want to call it - we want our guards to move. Torrence doesn’t do that.

You don’t want Big V to pull too often but you can generally rely on him to get to the second level and sustain his block. He has just enough athleticism for that. On tape, Torrence falls short of being able to do that. So I’m not in love with the Big V comp despite their similar sizes.

A better comp is Antoni Mafi who has similar size to both guys but much lighter feet. I’d say his feet are even lighter than Big V’s, there’s a reason we’re bringing him in for a visit.

3 Likes

I just want someone who can completely dominate whoever you put in front of him on 3rd and inches, and blow them up to kingdom come. If he’s that guy, take him, if not, pass. I want the opposition to have one game “injuries” that force them to miss playing us.

mortal kombat pointing GIF

3 Likes

Just know if Michael Mayer gets picked at 18 then I’m probably not going to be here much because of the amount of groaning(can’t really blame people for it) that’s going to result from it even with the trust we have in BH. Drafting that position early is a trigger here for obvious reasons.

He has Hank Fraley as a fan because of that very ability.

2 Likes

Well, that settles it.

4 Likes

I agree Torrence is just like Big V. He moves just like a 31 yr old 320 lb man with a bad back that just sat out an entire season.

1 Like

IuP

3000 snaps and touched his QB 1 time, ok Forrest. You sure your name isn’t BubbaGump ?

1 Like

Yeah… even worse i have him as my te5 and a rd 3 grade

Thats a pretty crazy stat. Ragnow had a similar stat coming out of college and is now one of the top 2 centers in the game.

2 Likes

Yeah people that say it because of his QBs is just reaching. Mobile QBs can help any lineman that’s true, but 4 years and 3000 snaps, big reach on that one. how many mobile QBs in collage Football , a lot right , now how many Gs have allowed there QB to be touched 1 time in 3000 snaps. This place can find a way to discredit anyone. But 3000 snaps speak for it self.

1 Like

Just because Anthony Richardson made Jalen Carter miss, doesn’t mean Torrence didn’t get beat. And he got beat quickly and easily here. The article says “pitched a shutout against Jalen Carter.” Bullshit.

3 Likes

Now go find 2999 more then you might have something. Witch one of Richardson other Olineman has 3000 snaps with 1 hit 0 sacks. As a matter of fact with all the mobile QBs out do any have a G with that kind of # ?

Here is a play where Jalen Carter bull rushes and Torrence is on roller skates and gets put into AR’s lap. AR has to bail the pocket due to Torrence getting manhandled, and Jalen Carter easily throws Torrence to the side and chases after AR.

3 Likes

Jalen is was the #1 player in the draft your picking a few play that a still shot shows him getting beat. It’s like saying a pitcher didn’t pitch a shut out because they hit a foul ball

"In 2019 as a freshman Wright saw action in 11 games and played a total of 360 snaps for the Volunteers. He allowed a solid 6 QB hurries, 3 QB hits, and 2 sacks while playing most of his snaps at right tackle.

As a sophomore in 2020 he played in 10 games and a total of 569 snaps. He conceded a solid 9 QB hurries, 5 QB hits, and 5 sacks while playing most of his snaps at right tackle."

This guy gets beat a hell of a lot more. Why is him getting beat allowed you ok. And this isn’t against Jalen Carter.

In 2021 as a junior Wright saw action in 13 games and totaled 922 snaps. He gave up 13 QB hurries, one QB hit, and 3 sacks while playing at left tackle.

In 2022 as a senior Wright saw action in 12 games and played a total of 829 snaps for the Volunteers. He allowed a solid 5 QB hurries, 2 QB hits, and no sacks while playing at right tackle.