Lions are 1 of 11 interested in Bobby Wagner

I could be a little low, but i doubt its that far off. Those guys were coming off very good seasons and were in the prime of their career. When those deals were signed the teams were betting on upside. Wagner is about to be 32, those guys are not paid top of the market deals very often, if ever. On top of that he isnt the player he was 3-5 years ago. He was among the best MLB in the NFL at that time. Now he is still top 10, but probably not top 5.

I’d be pretty surprised if he got more then 12-13mil AAV.

Blake and Joe are… and have always been… JAG types.

Timing is everything. Martinez was coming off a year where I believe he lead the league in tackles and had a fairly strong year overall. Schobert was getting better every year for the Browns and had a huge year right before he signed the extension. Not saying either if these guys are top notch players, but they performed at the right time to get paid. Would either of these guys make even half what they got if they were FA’s today? unlikely.

I really like Wagner, but not at the expensive deal he’ll most likely want(and deserve frankly).

Much rather us go after Alexander and draft a LB.

I think they both are good examples of LBs who make a lot of tackles…. 7 yards downfield.

Not great in coverage.
Not making many impact plays.
Just racking up stats… 7 yards downfield.

1 Like

Maybe he is interested in a linebacker coaching job? He fits with the staff

Just sign Foyesade Oluokun and call it a day. Sub 4.5 LB with coverage skills and Yale smarts works for me.

1 Like

Great point, man. We do need some vet leadership

1 Like

People talk about the lions like they are spending from their own bank account. Leave it to fans and we’ll have an entire roster on a 2 year incentive laden deals while we wait for the QB with not a single flaw.

4 Likes

Who says Alexander would be an incentive laden deal?

No offense, they have tried in the past. And gotten it wrong.

Okay you go sign an aging Future HOF and see what you get out of him. You ain’t getting the Bobby Wagner who was building his legacy……you are getting the Bobby Wagner who is living off that legacy at this point.

Ok and either one of those Bobby’s is better than out Bodies at LB. He probably won’t wanna be here but he’s be good to teach the young draftees. We need a solid vet in the middle. All of our guys can’t be young and cheap.

1 Like

Yeah, joe isn’t really popular around here these days………(Pittsburgh)

My dad can’t stand him. :joy::joy:

Still not worth the overpay. Still year 2 of a 3 year rebuild. There is a reason the contenders are all lining up for him.

Which is why I’d rather have Kwon Alexander(who’s a pretty damn good LB in his own right) who can do the same thing only he’s more affordable. Yeah I would love to have Bobby, but I just don’t see us being able to get him without overpaying him big time.

1 Like

Gotcha. Yeah there’s a long list for his services he’ll probably take a deal for a contender. Perhaps he asked for his release for not wanting to be around for a rebuild.

Seattle’s got rid of their 2 biggest cap eaters. Not a full rebuild, but just retooling. They were just passed up by the other 3 teams in their division last year and saw the writing on the wall.

Imagine that instead of 11 NFL teams looking at you it was 11 chicks. This is what Wagner is seeing when he looks the Lions way.

The Lions called his agent and he hung up.

1 Like