Lions awarded DT Cominsky

Coach him up boys
Obviously they’re interested enough to give him a chance, so … maybe we should as well?

2 Likes

I assume that he wears white socks. Although Calvin Ridley probably tried to convince him to wear black socks.

1 Like

Very popular guy, never heard of a player receiving so many waiver requests.

11 Likes
2 Likes

:beers: :beers:

Interesting in that article, Risdon notes that he would fill a similar role to Brockers and Okwara, along with Levi and Paschal.

I’m reading between the lines but I have a hunch Brockers might not be sticking around and R Okwara is going to start the season on IR. I think this guy has as good a chance as anyone to make the final 53.

1 Like

Been on this board for 10+ years, only offense I take from coyote is his spelling and if that is the worst thing, we’re in good shape.

I did see several other teams put in a claim for him, maybe coyote and wolfcub saw something I didn’t. When you’re the “gutter pussies,” churn the roster. Sounds like a good insurance policy for Okwara.

1 Like

If we keep him, which young guy gets cut?
I guess it doesn’t hurt to look?
I wouldn’t buy a house just yet, if I were him.

1 Like

That’s at least a sign that he has potential, otherwise 8 teams don’t put in a claim. He played college ball in Division 2 at Charleston, so I’d imagine the adjustment to the NFL has been massive. He’s got the physical tools if he can figure out the mental side of the game.

He should still be practice squad eligible as well.

1 Like

If they cut him hoping for PS, he probably would get claimed

1 Like

I think that was the worst “highlight film” that I’ve ever watched.

5 Likes

Just for Your Interest The DE we picked up last year played with Cominsky .you know are leading Sack DLman Harris last season who we resigned.

I like bringing this type young player he has a high RAS an you never know if last stall didn’t like him or he didn’t like the team.
We all know Lions picked up Harris an he had a great season an earned another contract an he is young.

He doesn’t make it fine but based on size an athletic score he should have done better. The Lower end guys make a team solid the starters are what they are but you need depth to help cover for injuries. I don’t see throwing good cap space at places looking for a big pay day for doing next to nothing for team.

Pay the ones who earned it, an thats what they are doing. If he was making the stop that far down field he at least kept playing when runner bust past line. He didn’t quit. Some here just find a negative with everything Lions do an thats what they do best RIGHT?

1 Like

Falcons DC last year was Dean Pees… who used to coach in New England under Belichick… and didn’t think Cominsky was a good fit for his scheme.

Dan Quinn was coach when he was drafted and he wanted him as the big DE in a 4-3 (Think Michael Bennett in that Seattle scheme).

2 Likes

I guess Lions were not only team interested seven other NFL teams placed waiver claims on Cominsky. Per Fred Yates ESPN

The Bengals, Browns, Cardinals, Colts, Commanders, Texans and Vikings. I guess other teams seen more than some of are positive posters. Does he make who know but maybe he can be traded if that many claimed him.

Maybe that guy who made the highlight tape was trying to get him cut? I can’t believe those are really his highlights. Nobody who makes the NFL is that bad. I could put together a better highlight tape of Joey Harrington than that.

1 Like

That would seem dangerous if eight teams were putting in waiver claims to get him.

edited to add: Well, shit. Maybe I should’ve just read @MotorCityMadhouse’s post immediately after.

2 Likes

And what about ST play?

I love that you can see BH is never slacking with looking for players ….

With 3 yrs in the NFL- is he eligible to be protected while in the PS assuming he made it?

It’ll all come down to how he plays in preseason.

We already have a very similar player in Eric Banks, the DE from UTSA. A converted QB to DE in college, just like Cominsky.
2019 ALL-CONFERENCE USA HONORABLE MENTION (COACHES): DE Eric Banks, Sr., UTSA,…Banks finished his UTSA career as the program record holder in games played, suiting up in 48 outings. Banks finished the year with 23 tackles, three sacks and 3.5 tackles for a loss, helping the Roadrunners shatter the program’s single-season record with 96 stops behind the line of scrimmage. A native of Memphis, Tenn., he added three quarterback hurries, two pass breakups, one forced fumble and a fumble recovery. Banks posted four tackles apiece versus Army West Point, Florida Atlantic and Louisiana Tech. - Texas-San Antonio Football

John Cominsky
MEC DEF POY, 1st team All-MEC w/67 TT, 16.5 TFL, 3 SCK, PBU, 10 QBH, FR, 2 FF, BLK in 10 gms, DNP vs Notre Dame College (Oct 27) and UVA Wise (Oct 20) due to right knee strain/bone bruise vs Findlay (Oct 13) in '18. 1st team All-MEC w/73 TT, 23 TFL, 6.5 S

I don’t know what Banks RAS score is and I’m not saying that one is better than the other, I’m just pointing out how similar Banks is in comparison.

Anyways,
Who do you think we keep for our D-line?

Hutch
Paschal
Levi
McNeil
Brockers
Penisweenie
Eric Banks
Bruce Hector
Cominsky

1 Like

Cominsky had a good year in '20. Other than that, this signing doesn’t mean much other than he’s better than the 90th guy on the roster

He’ll get some reps in camp and preseason. He is useful depth. He gets to flash. If a couple of guys get banged up he’ll be a decent replacement test for the offensive line. Very little chance he wins a roster spot out of of preseason, IMO

2 Likes