Lions beat writer Kyle Meinke: Lions go 3-14 this year

Nice one iTopher… backlash on the optimism?

1 Like

I say 6 at best.

1 Like

I say 10 at best, most likely 7…

2 Likes

I just think the pass game is going to be exceptionally bad.

I’m not blaming this regime for the talent level. I don’t expect them to be in the playoffs, but 3 wins? Come on. This is still the NFL. They should be at least double that number or this staff isn’t getting the best out of what it has. One more offseason and I would expect them to be competing in the division.

If Campbell walks away with 3 wins, and we’re not down to Martha at QB, I’m going to question whether he can get this team there even with more talent.

2 Likes

Speed kills! We got speed!

Talent wise Meinke is a 3-14 beat writer

10 Likes

Nah. Meinke’s one of the better beat writers out there.

3 Likes

The problem with both beat writers from that article is that they just looked at last year’s records on paper and just extrapolated win and (mostly) losses from that. I mean technically, that makes them optimistic, as I am pretty sure Vegas has the Lions as underdogs in every game.

But that is the problem with these pre-season guess a thons. Jared Goff goes down and the Lions are 1-16, and 0-17. Then again, Jared Goff goes down during week 1, the Lions decide to sign Cam Newton, and the Lions probably end up 5-12 or 6-11.

Yeah, on paper, the Lions lose twice to last year’s Vikings. But Cousins is only going to get worse, and a Dalvin Cook injury makes them a 0 dimensional offense. More than likely, they split. But then again, who knows?

Week to week predictions are hard enough, but these guess the entire season essays are just space filler, meant to fill the void until they have something meaningful to write about.

As I used to say on the Mlive comment section on a weekly basis… ah, predictions.

3 Likes

Perhaps the best writers just haven’t seen anything that makes them think this team is any better than 3 wins :man_shrugging: I mean it’s one thing to in-line someone’s work because they aren’t giving a team you root for a favorable prediction. I mean Mlive was around in the old Millen years and if you gave a remark every year like “ah predictions” then the beat writers nailed every single year

1 Like

I’ll predict a scrappy 7-10. We start 0-3, get it back to 5-6, then run out of gas to go 7-10.

2 Likes

I mean, I am not trying to malign (I assume that is what you meant) anybody’s overall work, just these season prediction guess articles. I thought that was pretty evident with what I said.

1 Like

I’m usually mr doom and gloom but I’m oddly optimistic this year. To me the key is the right side of our line. Goff with time is one of the best QBs in the league. and they are all going to play with a chip on their shoulder

I say six wins minimum. 8-9 if the chips fall right

2 Likes

Then I guess no one should make a season prediction because it’s just a guess… :man_shrugging:

1 Like

With the change in leadership the Lions have gone through, I would love to predict them for 5-6, even 7 wins, but this schedule is brutal.
10 games are against playoff teams from last year.
Then we have the 49rs, Cardinals, and Vikings twice. That leaves the Falcons, Eagles, and Broncos.
NFCW is considered the best division in the NFC.
The Bears were wild cards, so maybe they fall a little.
I think we better be happy with being competitive and growing.
5 wins and Campbell and company will have done a hell of a job.
3 or maybe 4 is more realistic IMHO.

1 Like

To each their own. I’ve never been a fan of Kyle or his writing.

1 Like

With the benefit of hindsight, I’m actually going to back you up a few games. In the preseason before his first game it was clear the guy was over his head. That was the least prepared Lions team I’ve seen since Mooch.

5 Likes

Thank you!!!

The Lions are either far better, or just as bad as some are predicting, but predicting means absolutely nothing.

Watch- I’m on record for 9-8…. If I’m correct, then I’m clearly smarter than motor city maniac and Kyle Meinke. If I’m working, it was expected based injuries etc, and maybe campbell isn’t the answer???

Is DC a good leader?

Is A Lynn a good OC who can manufacture a run game?

Is Goff the 2-3 winningest QB over the past 3-4 years in the league?

Was Swift considered by many the top RB in his class last year?

Does T Will have a 1,000 yard plus season under his belt?
S
Is TJ Hock a pro bowl TE by year 2, and growing?

Is Brockers a stalwart DT in the league?

Could Romeo and Trey combine for 16 sacks this year?

Could Amon Ra St Brown have a rookie year like Keenan Allen or Stefon Diggs?

Could Okudah prove worthy of a top 10 pick?

If Okudah is worthy of a top 10 pick, what could that mean for AO?

With Brockers, Romeo, Flowers and Collins in the front 7, could that lessen the attention on Levi O or McNeill and expedite the learning curve?

———————————————————————

Look at 2013 Chargers.

Rivers
R Mathews- RB. 1,200 yards rushing

Woodhead and Mathews - 780 yards Rec

Rookie K Allen 1,000 yards
Wr1 E Royal 630 yards
Wr3 Green 375 yards
Wr4 V Brown 475 yards
Gates- 875 yards

They had 2 guys with 5 plus sacks- but 7 with 2or more….?

Romeo and Trey…. Levi, Brockers, Julian, Barnes and McNeill I put a dollar on 2 plus sacks each!

So….

Amon Ra- 1,000 yards
Ty Will- 630
Cephus- 475
???- 375 yards
Hock - 900

Swift- 975
Williams- 450
Jefferson- 275

Rec-

Swift- 450
Williams- 250
Jefferson- 150

By those numbers we are better at most spots than 2013 chargers- Rookie RT Fluker too’

Can Swift and Hock stay healthy?

That’s it

2 Likes

How many sacks please

Comparatively speaking, did you feel this team this year looked at least better prepared than the previous staff in the preseason even though we lost?

My personal but also amateur observation was I felt the team came out with a plan, and they executed that plan for better or worse. But, it looked like players were put out and given time for very specific purposes, but also I doubt regular season game planning looks anything like the preseason. If my memory serves me correctly (which it probably won’t) is the team often looked like the preseason game plan in the regular season. There was no great change in strategy, the only thing that changed was the players. As always feel free to correct me if wrong, and I know this staff has yet to prove anything, but I would like to think they are going to be much more savvy in game planning and adjustments.

2 Likes