Lions bring in S Marlowe for visit

The Lions brought in free agent safety Dean Marlowe for visit.

We appear to be scraping the bottom of the barrel for S options. I’m convinced S is a high priority come draft day and we’re just looking for a cheap insurance policy incase things don’t go our way on draft day.

I’m very confident we will take a safety before the end of round 3. And I wouldn’t be shocked if we took two safeties. I think S is a strong possibly in round two.

2 Likes

Looks like they signed him as well!

Marlowe recorded his first two interceptions, three passes defensed, 1.5 sacks, and a fumble recovery last season.

That’s better production that any of the Lions safeties from last year and Marlowe only played 20% of the snaps.

2 Likes

I think the Lions have done very well in their efforts to rebuild this team. Obviously they have more work to do, and there’s only so much you can do in one off-season, and there is still the upcoming draft. I am looking forward to a more competitive team, but I am not drinking koolaid by the gallon until I see something on the field.

1 Like

Why? This guy is not going to help. Why sign him?

Lions still hanging on to those projected 3rd, 5th, and 6th comp picks for 2022.

1 Like

He provides depth, started 4 games for the Bills last year and plays special teams. He had 240 snaps on special teams and another 200 snaps on Defense with the Bills. He’s also immediately better than Will Harris. We clearly still need to draft a safety early though, probably round 2 or 3.

1 Like

Holmes drafted S John Johnson in Rd 3, No. 91 overall and S Jordan Fuller, who started 12 games for the Rams as a rookie (and played well), in Rd 6, No. 199 overall.

I honestly don’t think Holmes is going to start looking at safeties until the Lions are at around pick No. 101 or later.

Looks like a decent depth signing on a vet minimum contract.

Chris Burke @ChrisBurkeNFL41m

The Dean Marlowe signing puts the Lions’ roster at 66 players. Also (and no surprise here), Corn Elder’s contract is for the vet minimum ($920K).

2 Likes

Well maybe the system and coaching had alot to do with our guys not performing. If guys playing bad in what probably was the worst coaching and system the NFL ever seen. Makes you get excited over a guy like this I just don’t understand. We must be at the stage were every signing is a great signing. But this is as meh as it gets. And if he our starting safety then we’re not very good back there.

I’m far from excited. I was making fun of how bad our defense was last year in comparison to Marlowe intercepting more balls than anyone on the Lions while only playing 20% of the snaps. lol

He’s a depth guy, and will play special teams if he makes the team.

1 Like

Exactly

I think these signing are mostly insurance depth and roster bubble guys who are easily cut if we find a better option in the draft. They also provide enough experience to help in training camp.

We really are weak at safety and CB depth and our approach to it in FA makes me think that we will be targeting DB’s.

Look at what we did on the DL. We resigned Okwara, and traded for Brockers. Which makes me think DL is less of a target in the draft.

Then at WR and LBer we signed some low level starter types.

I believe we will be targeting WR’s, LBers and DB’s based off this. Just a hunch but that’s what I’m thinking.

5 Likes

& for WR… the ability to get QUALITY, fast slot WR help LATE in the draft is incredibly viable this year. This team (any team) can get a day one starter at slot WR in round 5 this year…

This.

You sign guys that are better than what you have for what you want to do.

They’re filling holes so they have somebody. Can’t fix everything this offseason to the desired level.

It allows them their maximum flexibility come the draft.

Still have holes to fill, but I’d expect them to not pass on someone who they expect to be long gone but is still sitting there when they’re on the clock.