Lions building for the next QB

Should have defined what is “meaningful” before doing any work…

Look first. Then shoot off mouth.

Much less humiliating.

Easy, tiger.

Not humiliated at all man but thanks for the concern…lol

Runyon, [quote=“BRICKLAYER, post:20, topic:1113”]
Your right guys I said one game and you proved me wrong.I just cant help but sit here and think that shouldn’t we have gotten more from a #1 pick after 10 yrs
[/quote]

I can certainly empathize with your frustration . As a long-suffering Lions fan for the last fifty plus years I’ve wished that Stafford brought the Lions more success than we’ve seen. However as people are fond to point out about misses In the draft, consider this ; had the Raiders not chosen JaMarcus Russell ahead of Calvin Johnson in the 2007 draft I believe it’s very very likely that Matt Millen would have taken JaMarcus Russell. Ya think about that for a moment lol. And had Sam Bradford made himself eligible for the draft in 2009 as was expected the Lions could very well have taken him as opposed to Stafford. I think Stafford stacks up more than favorable against either of those. Then consider all quarterbacks taken as number one pick overall for the 20-year period up to and including 2009 when Stafford was drafted by the Lions. They are Jeff George 1990, Drew Bledsoe 1993, Peyton Manning 1998 Tim Couch 1999, Michael Vick 2001, David Carr 2002, Carson Palmer 2003, Eli Manning 2004, Alex Smith 2005, JaMarcus Russell 2007, Matthew Stafford 2009. The vast majority of those had less success than Stafford in my humble opinion. Obviously Peyton Manning is the exception and Eli has had his moments but overall frankly I believe Stafford to be a better quarterback just on a worse team.

1 Like

Of the list of QBs that are in your post only three have had less success than Stafford. Between winning division titles and playoff games and getting to or winning Super Bowls Stafford pales in comparison to all on that list except for Russell, Carr and Couch. He’s about even with Jeff George.

It feels like you feel the team & coaches that someone is surrounded with don’t matter.
Am I on or off with that?

You must be joking right? LOL Jeff George had a career record of 46 wins with 78 losses. A total of 154 touchdowns with 113 interceptions and had an amazing knack much like Cutler was throwing an interception at the worst possible time for his team. His career completion percentage was under 58%. In a 12 yr. Career He managed a grand total of 8 4th qtr comebacks as QB. Stafford already over three times that many with 26 4th quarter comebacks 33 game winning drives in two less years in the league. Even with Stafford? I don’t think so. Lol

1 Like

What your surrounded by does matter depending on your ability. If your Tom Brady, Peyton Manning or Aaron Rodgers it doesn’t matter who you are surrounded by you achieve success. If you Matthew Stafford it does matter because you don’t have such ability to elevate those around you

1 Like

Great logic. And by great, I mean not great.

2 Likes

Well mister Wesley you are free to tell me where I am wrong. Tom Brady has had the same success in playing with guys like David Patten as he did with Randy Moss. Oh but he didn’t even win the Super Bowl with Moss. But he did with Patten. Some of the guys Brady played with no one had any idea who they were before Brady turned them into productive players if not stars. We have seen Rodgers play with different receivers, an almost non existent running game, and still practically dominate the NFC North. Manning, he had Harrison and James…yes. But he also had guys like Terrence Wilkins and Jerome Pathon. But never has anyone made an excuse for the circumstances surrounding these guys. It’s why I said just yesterday that Stafford is good but not great.

He leads the league in 4th quarter comebacks. There’s a lot of games that can be pointed to. But that game in London where he came back down 3td’s sticks in my mind.

I get it that you don’t like Stafford but with out him there’s a lot of games we would have lost. Many times we won because we turned Stafford loose.

2 Likes

Man puts out a fire.

What a hero.

Nobody mentions that he also caused the fire.

1 Like

Caldwell’s entire philosophy was to keep it close with low risk offense, then let Matt win it in the 4th. That was by design. Piss poor run game, and predictable offense are much more to blame than the QB. IMO, he was just doing what was asked of him, and then some (playing through pain & injuries). I think Stafford is a winner, and a leader.

1 Like

No I’m not joking about Jeff George. Again, I said as far as Super Bowl wins/appearances, playoff wins and division titles Jeff George is about even with Stafford. I didn’t mention anything about overall regular season record or TD/INT ratios. George has actually won a playoff game with Minnesota. He led Atlanta to another playoff appearance. So if I was joking then the joke would probably be on Stafford.

They did this for Stafford and the team that is playing now. This is the best way to win with this offense this season, and next season, and the season after that.

1 Like

Yup! Win as a team. Take pressure off of your QB. Win the “fist fight” every week, and wear on opponents (especially late in the season). I feel like this is a good overall strategy, but also the best design to win our particular division, where emphasis is on D all the way around.

If you and I are being chased by a mountain lion, I don’t have to outrun the mountain lion, I just have to outrun you. Same applies in winning the division - just outrun 3 teams, and that’s the clearest path to the basket. Cousins, trubisky, and especially Rodgers (weak OL) are in deep shit, this year.

Hope we can extend Daineils’s contract and get Bryant healthy. Keep the heat on for years!

1 Like

There sure was a lot of passing going on for a low risk offense. Also a lot of shot gun. You’d think someone deliberately trying to kill the clock would be running the ball a lot, yet we were near the bottom, if not THE bottom of rush attempts. I’ve seen stats that show the long ball attempts going down when Caldwell got here, so maybe you have a point.

Chicken v egg. Did we have poor run game so we didn’t do it? Or did we have a piss poor run game because we didn’t do it?

Put yourself in the shoes of a lineman. You’re being asked to pass pro in shotgun 75% of the plays (one year it was 84%). How exactly are you supposed to build up a momentum in the run game if you’re backing up most of the game?

Then the guy you run with is 5’9", 198, who you deliberately acquired to catch short passes and make things happen in the open field.

And I think they did everything to “fix” Stafford. Caldwell came in saying “I’m going to fix Stafford”. He also said “We have an arm and we’re going to use it” when asked about the run game. The way I see it is that they purposely robbed from the run game to assist the pass game. There is ample evidence of this intentional behavior.

The logic of building a pass heavy offense around a guy with touch and accuracy issues seems flawed to me… But they all did it.

2 Likes

If you’re going to reduce the role of QB, then why do you need to pay him 15% of the cap? Maybe we could get us a cheaper one a even further beef up the team?

1 Like

IMO Stafford will prove a lot this year. I don’t think he’s going anywhere soon.