Lions have the truest fans

This pretty much sums up my time as a lions fan

Another link supplied by starman91 thanks

https://archive.ph/7snfh

For those who can’t open it here’s the beginning. It’s very long

DETROIT — For decades piled upon decades they have dwelled in a desolate vein of fandom unique in its hopelessness and hope while the nation around them has noticed this by barely even noticing. Seldom if ever has such devotion gone so unrewarded and unacknowledged. They’re the truest fans in America by playoff arithmetic, and they seem sorely in need of an ode while loath to crave one.

They’re those fans of the Detroit Lions who never have yielded to an obstinate gloom of scoreboards, whose sustained fervency counts as a marvel, if not a primer on the human condition, and whose downtown passion might startle an outsider.

On Thanksgiving morning, amid the tailgate hubbub and the sunny cold just before the very good Lions of 2023 (then 8-2, now 9-4) would lose unexpectedly and yet totally expectedly to the Green Bay Packers (then 4-6), one 74-year-old man stood on a sidewalk. Donald Harper’s Lions days began when Dick “Night Train” Lane visited his fifth-grade class.

“Ah, it’s been miserable,” Harper said later by phone about his 64 years of Lions fandom, but then, of course, it has been also far more intricate than that.

He has watched since ninth grade among a caring crowd at the home of his second family, the Beauchamps, whose adored patriarch, David, died in May at 73. His chair is left purposely empty for the gatherings this season. “Every time we jump up with excitement, we’re like, ‘Is there a flag?’ ” Jaber said. “Seriously.” He reels back through an old scar, the famed Calvin Johnson catch ruled a non-catch in 2010 against the Chicago Bears, then continues: “I can’t tell you how many times that we just, we go bonkers, and: ‘Is there a flag? Is there a flag?’ And someone will joke around, ‘Flag!’ And they’re just like messing with you. It’s such a trigger. It such a huge trigger. Huuuuge trigger. … You’re scared to get too excited because you’ve been punched in the face so many times.”

Other fan bases feel that, but life has shepherded Lions fans to a rarer precinct: misery as almost part of anatomy.

“I cannot wait for that moment [of a Super Bowl berth]. It’s going to be the best moment ever; I’m going to be jumping on rooftops. But it’ll be hard for it to ever feel the same,” Jaber said. “It’ll change everything. I feel like of course I’m going to be the same die-hard Lions fan, but it’s like — it’s almost like the yearning will be gone, and maybe we’re attached to the yearning. … I would trade it for it for sure, but at the same time, it would change things for sure.”

“You have that anxiety within you,” said Katrina Jeffreys, a Lansing resident and Lions fan since fourth grade in the 1970s, “and you’re not sure how you’re going to feel when you wake up the next day after [a championship] happens. We’re so used to having [the yearning] there, we don’t know how to act. There’s that part of it: ‘What do we do now?’ ”

5 Likes

…who have absolutely zero faith

4 Likes

@Karras you got an excerpts. Can’t open. Thanks for sharing some of you can.

1 Like

Sorry I thought everyone could open it. Idk how to do those nice multi quote pieces. Maybe some smart guy here can do it.Here’s how it starts.

DETROIT — For decades piled upon decades they have dwelled in a desolate vein of fandom unique in its hopelessness and hope while the nation around them has noticed this by barely even noticing. Seldom if ever has such devotion gone so unrewarded and unacknowledged. They’re the truest fans in America by playoff arithmetic, and they seem sorely in need of an ode while loath to crave one.

They’re those fans of the Detroit Lions who never have yielded to an obstinate gloom of scoreboards, whose sustained fervency counts as a marvel, if not a primer on the human condition, and whose downtown passion might startle an outsider.

On Thanksgiving morning, amid the tailgate hubbub and the sunny cold just before the very good Lions of 2023 (then 8-2, now 9-4) would lose unexpectedly and yet totally expectedly to the Green Bay Packers (then 4-6), one 74-year-old man stood on a sidewalk. Donald Harper’s Lions days began when Dick “Night Train” Lane visited his fifth-grade class.

“Ah, it’s been miserable,” Harper said later by phone about his 64 years of Lions fandom, but then, of course, it has been also far more intricate than that.

…and are manic-depressive.

3 Likes

this is an excellent piece of journalism. you can sign up to read it without paying, they allow free access for a couple articles.

This paragraph struck me as something we’re all going to have to deal with (I’ve thought about it before, but it is expressed well here):

“I cannot wait for that moment [of a Super Bowl berth]. It’s going to be the best moment ever; I’m going to be jumping on rooftops. But it’ll be hard for it to ever feel the same,” Jaber said. “It’ll change everything. I feel like of course I’m going to be the same die-hard Lions fan, but it’s like — it’s almost like the yearning will be gone, and maybe we’re attached to the yearning. … I would trade it for it for sure, but at the same time, it would change things for sure.”

7 Likes

Powerful. Thank you for sharing.

1 Like

The bipolarity it is strong here.

Yes an excellent piece and it hit the nail on the head for me.

1 Like

Some people just like to bitch.

The only thing worse is the people who constanly bitch about the people who constantly bitch.

Not on here. The loudest voices on here are fully bipolar, last week it was fire everyone and this week we can win the Super Bowl.

1 Like

https://archive.ph/7snfh

If want to read it all and getting paywalled.

2 Likes

Thanks buddy. I added it under the original post

So are the Lions on a week-to-week basis.

So is every team in the league. This is the NFL 2023. There are no sure things, anywhere apparently.

Great article. I have to agree…winning the Super Bowl will be somewhat bitter sweet. We’ve dedicated decades to climbing to the perilous summit of Mt. Lion and have been bound together by the seemingly never ending punches to the potatoes. But we will be able to replace those years of outright football malice with the pride of knowing we are NFL champions.

1 Like

Yep, in my lifetime the wings, tigers and pistons have all won multiple championships. It will indeed be another level of emotion when the lions finally get over that hump. I hope I’m still here to see it and would appreciate it more than all the others combined.

3 Likes

B4IDi !!

2 Likes

Watching Yzerman hoist the Stanley Cup for the first time is something that I will never forget. I will always remember who I was with, and how I felt.

And you are right. That would be a distant 2nd to the Lions winning a super bowl.

I think Detroit has always been a football town first. We just never had a chance to show it.

6 Likes

If you can’t read the full article and have an iPhone, you can bust through most paywalls by doing this on your phone

Settings
Safari
Scroll to bottom …
Advanced
Turn off JavaScript
Hit refresh on blocked article
Viola!!
You won’t see images, but can read entire article

You’ll have to turn JavaScript back on to see this site (and many others)

1 Like