Lions have to decide on Davis' fifth-year option by May 4

Here’s the down side to exercising the 5th year option. If the Lions decide to let him go before year 5, yes, they save the money, but Davis doesn’t count in the compensatory pick formula. If they decline the 5th year option, then he becomes an UFA subject to the comp pick formula.

The Lions made that mistake once already with Ebron. Let’s hope we don’t see a repeat.

1 Like

Another down side is the 10 mil number itself could be his undoing in Detroit. They might want to bring him back at a proper salary, but 10 mil sure isn’t it!

You were 100% correct if we were discussing Frank Ragnow …The new CBA and the 5th Year option becomes fully guaranteed when the team exercises the option after year 3. This applies to any 1st round selection starting with the 2018 Draft and beyond . When exercised the players 5th year is fully guaranteed for skill, injury, and Salary Cap-related termination all before they play a single snap in the 4th year. In addition any of Franks salary in his 4th year that was not guaranteed originally upon signing in 2018 (about $2 Million) immediately becomes fully guaranteed as well

As it stands now under the New CBA should we exercise the 5th year option next off season on Frank Ragnow he has already guaranteed himself & locked in the transition tender salary of the 3rd - 20th highest paid avg, which negates any chance of it being the avg of 3rd - 25th money & did so by playing in more than 75% of the offensive snaps in years 1 & 2 … Ragnow cant increase his number by making the ProBowl this season… his number is locked in.
Jarrad falls under the old CBA for compensation and guarantees for the option but falls under the new rules for being penalized for not showing up under the new CBA $40k per day missed and full game checks forfeited starting with the first preseason game .

2 Likes

Thanks for the info @NewYorkLion. I knew I had read that the new CBA was fully guaranteeing the 5th year option. This clears up my confusion.

1 Like

The other nice thing at this point …Taking T.J Hockenson a TE at #8 and under the new CBA as far as value or not value goes, has been steered to our benefit .

He is not guaranteed the top 10 at his position tender money anymore on the 5th year option as that does not exist anymore.

Under the new CBA & because he failed to reach the 75% & 50% of snaps played total in year one …He has to play in 75% of the snaps this year and next or in 150% cumulative of 200% the next 2 seasons combined in order to get the 3rd - 20th money at the TE position .
Otherwise Hock’s 5th year option will be 3rd - 25th money on the option or he has to make the Pro Bowl this year and next year to get the franchise number for the 5th year option at TE…if he does that great, if not the 5th year option for Hock based on 2021 contracts for TE’s … Hockenson will be roughly $5.7 - $5.9 which is a hell of a lot better than the roughly $8.7 it would have been by default as a top 10 pick under the old CBA.

5 Likes

Thanks, don’t know much about Lee. Thought he was camp fodder. Looks like he played some minutes with the 49ers in the playoffs.

To me, it sounds like they are done with guys who can’t diagnose, who can’t read quickly, and who make mistakes at LB. They want fast readers and decisive players flying around. Undlin sort of said this at the Senior Bowl. Davis is a smart guy, really well spoken and everything, but man it just hasn’t translated to the field for some reason. You can see the potential, but he just can’t get all the way there.

Wow, that is damning. I mean, just look at the list of defensive stars that Patricia has manufactured in Detroit:

1 Like

You know how many chicken nuggets $10 million is?

Like, 60 million, at least.

Would you trade SIXTY MILLION chicken nuggets for 16 games of James Davis?

Perspective, fellas.

2 Likes

James Davis did have 3.5 sacks for the Lions back in 2004, but yeah…he wasn’t worth 60 million chicken nuggets.

2 Likes

These guys aren’t afraid to cut bait. They are even better at getting some value for guys not fitting in for whatever reason.

If I can’t distinguish between a 1st round pick and a Mornhinweg scrub…

BOTH AINT WORTH 60 million chicken nuggets!

What does our salary cap look like next year?

I’d trade him to the Patriots and see him become the next best thing or if his perspective is right if he (JD) willing to sign for way less for 2 years just to cover his talent window?

If we don’t give him the 5th year I doubt he even looks back.

If I’m Quinn I’m not giving J.Davis $13.5 on the 5th year option & it’s not the $10 Million reported by twentyman

1 Like

EIGHTY MILLION CHICKEN NUGGETS!!!

Oh hell naw.

Not a chance. I don’t mind re-signing him at low money, but no chance is he worth $10M

1 Like

Is it McDonald’s or Chik-filet nuggets?

1 Like

Wendy’s Spicy

2 Likes

Not sure he is even a starter on 30 teams in the NFL. He would be a fine back up LB and an elite special teams player if and when he agrees to those roles.

1 Like

No way is he worth his option.

I do think our staff still loves what he brings to the team from a leadership and lockeroom perspective, and sees some value in him. Wouldn’t surprise me to see this staff come to terms with Davis on a lower salary extension. Maybe something a little more than Christian Jones makes, like $3-3.5MM per year?

May the 4th be with him…Lol.

2 Likes