Lions Interest in Titans DT Jeffery Simmons

The difference between pick 6 and 11 is 350 points… Which is exactly the value of our second 2nd rounder (55OA). Can they get more than a 2nd rounder for a top tier DT who needs a megadeal? I’m not so sure, heck Jalen Ramsey only fetched a 3rd, but he’s older.

2 Likes

My lame contribution to this thread
No way Lions do this …

It would be waay out of character for them

1 Like

While true no one is trading for him without signing him to an extension. He’s not going to agree to an extension if he doesn’t want to be there.

Who we are gonna have to Paaayyyyyyy soon (1-2 years)

Goff (40)
Sewell (20)
ARSB (20)
Jonah (15-18?)
maybe one of the two 1 yr DBs we brought in (15-18)

I would pay Simmons(20) over Jonah and over the DBs (age health)

I think this can still fit as well, because the other 2 bigger contracts are Decker and Ragnow at like $35m AAV between them?

That’s 150 for these 6…it’s top heavy for sure, but doable. You keep rotating out guys like Walker and AA and Okwara etc who are on 2nd contracts but you can’t get them a 3rd and you have 20 guys on rookie deals and 15 more cheap vets and 10-15 ERFA/UDFA kind of guys…

But yeah, this is why teams want premium QB play on rookie deals. $40M means you have to be right an awful lot on your picks and cheap FAs

4 Likes

The Royal Tenenbaums was such a great movie. I’m an existential philosophy buff.

Hahaha i even got the movie wrong that i was thinking about… i was thinking about I Heart Huckabees

Just the media?

I said and morons who repeated the media. Most importantly to the equation was zero gms agreed with those people with bad draft takes.

And when I said “And to think some were arguing for his selection at No. 2 overall”–that statement is obviously true. Your response disproves nothing.

1 Like

Yes your response was 100% true and so was mine. They are not mutually exclusive.

:grimacing::grimacing::grimacing:

Well, at least no one here advocated for trading up for Willis:

So some Den members can say:

Thor was absolutely effusive in his Willis love, to the point I actually might have lost respect for the guy as an evaluator. I get it, you have to stick to your guns on evals, but he essentially became a take artist by the time the draft rolled around.

1 Like

Left the poster’s name off but this argument should be recycled every year. Applied to Willis last year, just stick Richardson’s name in this year:

1/ Culture fit. Willis seems like a good guy and he carries himself like a QB1. He comes across as confident and sure of himself without being arrogant. He’s easy to love.
2/ Elite tools. He has the arm and the wheels to be really exceptional. He’ll also sell some tickets.
3/ There’s no one else screaming to be picked at #2 and they’re all a bit of a reach one way or another.
4/ They can sit him behind Goff for a year and hopefully boost Goff’s trade value. With a good O-line, Willis would not be on a hiding to nothing from day 1. This also shelters the impression of a gradual rebuild which seems frugal, measured and sensible.
5/ Opportunism. The Lions may well not be picking this high again soon. It could be now or never. And trying to trade up is something they can only really afford to do when they’re nearly ready. And they’re not going to be nearly ready for at least 2 years - they might conclude that’s too long.
6/ The biggest reason though for me is structural. Having a QB on a rookie contract for 5 years frees up significant resources. And those 5 years coincide with Holmes’s and Campbell’s window to succeed. If this rebuild is going to be successful - they might calculate picking Willis is a risk but possibly their best chance.

3 Likes

Somewhere I have a screenshot of a poster here who was being particularly obnoxious and said they were going to laugh at all of us when the Lions drafted Willis at 2

Funny how things work out sometimes

3 Likes

C’mon, nobody here would act like that. I call BS!

It wasn’t me was it?

Star Trek Lol GIF by Jason Clarke

1 Like

That’s me also, after one too many glasses of tranya

1 Like

very stylish! Love the matching bandanna

Dean Winchester What GIF

2 Likes

What you never see a very young work photo of this guy?

Clint-howard

His niece is a hawtie tho

His brother is some dude that sits in a chair and yells at people all day…total dick.