Lions interview Ravens QB Coach James Urban

NFL Network’s Tom Pelissero reports the Lions interviewed Ravens QB coach James Urban for their vacant offensive coordinator job.

Urban began his career working under Andy Reid and has done a fine job with Lamar Jackson over the last two seasons from afar. Urban drew interest from the Eagles last year, so his name has been thrown around now in back-to-back seasons. There doesn’t appear to be a direct link from Urban to new Lions head coach Dan Campbell.

So we might hire an Urban after all

There hasn’t been a lot of direct links besides Dan Campbell and Aaron Glenn. I like the thorough process though.

1 Like

This hire might bring back 2 wrs… jones and sanu

1 Like

I had seen their reaction on twitter, too.

Interesting choice.

1 Like

Does it mean our preference is dual threat qb like Jackson ?

How is Jackson a dual threat? Running left or running right?

5 Likes

WR coach in Cincy for those two, in case anybody is wondering…

1 Like

I am not against Jones back one year deal at fair price could make it 2 years to spread out cap hit. Sanu was cut couple times in 2020 so he likely could be back on the cheap one year deal.

1 Like

Signing both Jones and Sanu back on cheap deals could definitely shore up a depleted WR room. Then add draft pick(s) and/or FA and Stafford has people to work with

Best comment I’ve seen in a while!

Urban did work under Andy Reid for a decade. Dude has a lot of experience. This interview seems to be overlooked, we just might hire him.

As coach: