Lions looking to extend Hock & AO

I haven’t noticed bad body language, but I saw him get smashed a couple times because Goff threw him a couple hospital passes. He looked like he was in pain trying to get up. He’s also dropped a couple passes, we need more out of him for sure.

2 Likes

You can have a chance at an outstanding TE prospect with a third rounder. I like Hock, but at this point he doesn’t seem to be a player that adds a win to the total. Just a good guy who can play great at times.

1 Like

I feel like they need to pin him down and cut off his Quacker Oats guy haircut. Maybe then he will snap out of the spell of mediocrity

4 Likes

Natty has the solution for Hock…

Sport Mma GIF by UFC

1 Like

Dan, a former TE, seems to really value Hock. That says alot. For me, he needs to show more, he’s under-achieved since his rookie year.

1 Like

I think Dan like Hock more than our UDFA 2nd year player and our rookie coming of an ACL for the moment.

He is a former TE… so he might have some bias built in… but I also hope they are seeing the concerns sone of us have mentioned… that he doesn’t show much RAC ability… and he is no where near the blocker he was hyped to be so far…. which makes him a JAG.

He is playing his way out of the top 10 over his career span.

Not impressed.

All hair team…aint worth a bad deal though

Gotta do one of two things if you’re a TE. Block or catch. And that’s usually not big money.

42 games

167 for 1737 and 12 TD

4 catches 43 yards TD every 3 or 4 games.
Blocking has sucked
Missed 11 full games of 51 and quite a few not started due the concussion kid gloves…

TE is very top heavy, so if you arent top 4 with Kelce Andrews Waller amd rotate guys across Hocks 4 years as Gronk or Ertz whoever, you could be #5 one year and 15/16 the next.

Not.paying this guy to be a long haired good dude.

3 Likes

Seems like it’s easier to get TEs in FA too.

1 Like

Interesting video on TJ

2 Likes

Not impressed with the commentary.

3 Likes

No - the guy sounds like he is just making things up to prove his point.

2 Likes

Excepting his spectacular debut, the number of 100 yard receiving days Hockenson has had in the 41 games since then?

Games with more than 75 receiving yards? 4.

He’s not as good as the second tier TEs like Andrew’s & Waller.

I’m admittedly biased because I don’t think the Lions should’ve drafted him in the first place at No. 8 overall. But, he simply hasn’t produced at a level to warrant being paid like top tier TEs.

Quite frankly, I think his level of production could be easily replaced.

2 Likes

The guy makes some valid points, TJ was Stafford’s security blanket. The passes he gets from Goff aren’t as good of throws and many are in strong coverage (his punching bag definition).

Some of the passes are Goff’s fault, but TJ needs to make more catches. He’s not being utilized to his potential because of the success of Saint/Swift/running game.

There’s blame for TJ, Goff, Ben Johnson

3 Likes

The guy drinks and smokes and then just goes over game Film so he’s a bit exxagerated and sloppy. But even watching it on mute should be enough.

I know this isn’t the Goff thread but it shows the accuracy issues I’ve been personally concerned about. And also mirrors some of my thoughts on hockenson frustration with Goff.

3 Likes

I am no expert but I am pretty sure that if I sat down and watched film of two full games, isolated on a single player, I would be able to pick out 3 or 4 plays that I could build an argument around. Hock and Goff have left plays on the field. Two games into the season I am not surprised. I would also agree that Hock’s body language as not looked good. But to be fair both Amon and Swift have earned Goff’s trust. We have read numerous articles on how much effort they are putting in. I am not saying Hock is not putting in the effort but I have not seen one article about him. I have no doubt that Hock has the talent and skill to be a valuable player in this offense. It is up to him, Goff and Ben to figure it out. But saying Ben and Goff are responsible is weak sauce. Ben WAS the TE coach. I am pretty sure he knows what Hock can do and how to draw up plays to use his skill set. MC WAS a TE, I am pretty sure he knows as well. Having the ability to film a youtube video and play football snapshots does not necessarily qualify someone to be a good football analyst.

1 Like

Watching that video reminded me of listening to Aqib Talib do his thing on the broadcast, and I mean by do his thing, I dont mean all of the yelling and shooting a guy in cold blood in front of his kid at a football game but but using his vernacular to Connect with people and have some decent insight.

Decent in this case is the ceiling.

The point I’m getting from discussion here that isnt being looked at is that if Stafford made Hock look better… than really how good was he at all?

maybe this is the real Hock and if that’s the case there’s no way I want him on a second contract.

2 Likes

Yeah…and neither does typing on a message board, respectfully. This particular YouTuber has been following the lions for a while. He even made a Detroit lions song. I’m not going to bat for him but just providing some context.

I think he watches games and then goes to all-22 to see what’s really going on. I don’t think he said “let me go see how I can shit on Hockenson this week.”

So you are saying multiple truths can exist at once?

Confused Joe Biden GIF by CBS News

2 Likes