Lions meet with Tua

Due diligence, nothing more. They met with Kyler Murray last year too.

2 Likes

Tua is a redshirt rookie. That is not for DET in 2020, unless they think there will be no season.

1 Like

He was hurt during the season the year before with broken bones in his back. Our dumfuk coach trotted his happy ass back out there though and he played like garbage. 'Trisha should have gotten fired for that alone.

True, but you still should be looking to the future. The Pats had Brady. The GOAT and still had Cassell, Brissett and Jimmy G on their roster at various times!!! We trot out David phucking Blough and now 36 year old Daniel as our answer. Why not just strap a freaking grenade to Stafford and if he gets hit, the entire team explodes, because that’s essentially what they are doing for the past 11 years and counting.

Every player is a risk. Tua just happens to have a higher ceiling than most. Hockenson was a much bigger risk in my mind. Tabor was a much bigger risk. Davis, Tavai, etc. Guys that take away picks and have no chance of helping make your team better.

I’m flat out tired of starting every year off where if Stafford gets a hang nail, we fast forward to the following year. Let’s at least try to address that position group with a legit draft pick. Not b.s. wasted picks like Kayaa and Rudock who were CFL practice squad talents.

Tua is not just a risk like every other player, he’s a much bigger risk than the normal player and had a hip injury that has rarely been seen. On top of that,.he’s had finger, knee and ankle injuries sprinkled throughout his career that hobbled him. He’s brittle and when you’re drafting at #3, that’s a huge risk you’re taking on.

It’s possible that he overcomes his injuries and has a long productive relatively injury free career like Stafford did after his first 2 seasons when there were lots of questions about his durability but it’s a risk, a big one. The upside is enticing but the injury history is frightening.

2 Likes

I know. I really do. I just fear passing on him and having him transform the league would be too much to bear.

I have no fear on passing on Okudah. Guys like him grow on trees and get lit up by guys like Tua.

For the boards sake and for the Lions as well, just get Young and we can all be happy.

3 Likes

Good they should … Will he be available at #3 I think so , teams behind us need to believe Detroit is a possible destination. It would be highly disappointing if we did not meet him or express interest.

Tua is damaged goods , the idea that you draft Tua as an insurance policy early on and to replace Stafford down the road when Tua can not stay healthy in the little league is a plan that is majorly flawed .

2 Likes

He’s the definition of boom/bust. Usually players that are this risky aren’t taken this high. I can’t remember the last high profile player (and this guy is as high profile as it gets) that has such an extensive injury history.

I’m not going to lie though, there’s always a small part me with Tua that feels the way you do in that he’ll be the next great QB and that the Lions missed the boat. I just don’t think Quinn can afford to take such a risk at this point in his tenure. It would make for some very entertaining conversation if they did take him though.

2 Likes

Tua here with us on the Lions would be my 2JZ 3.0-liter inline six 94 Twin Turbo Supra of today . Incredible car , performance that would not quit …Is today the day it dies out of the blue , no warning , constantly sitting on eggshells .

I want no part of it week in week out especially when a guy with a higher ceiling in Herbert would be available .

I must say: At this time…Stafford has had less injuries, lately, than Tua.

1 Like

If you guys think there is no chance the Lions take a QB…you are not looking at this objectively.

1. Back injuries linger. 2 back injuries in 2 years is not good.

2. Stafford could retire anytime. Hes got to think long term about his health. I’m sure he has at least thought about it.

3. Selecting a QB high and convincing old Mrs Ford that they need more time is a smart move on the part of this regime. Not saying I like it…but its smart.

It’s not my favorite…but if they do it I would understand.

Also…if Tua stays healthy he is as close to cant miss as any QB prospect in the last 10 years. You cant teach accuracy. Some people have it. He also has the IT factor. He is the total package.

Of course that is a big if he stays healthy. If it wasn’t for the hip we would be talking about Burrow at 3 instead.

1 Like

Great, hopefullu the Lions were just trying to get a date with a china doll and not an injured bitch for a QB.

Smokescreen. But if there was one GM stupid enough to do that, it’s ours. Any QB that high would send the team a message that the Lions are building for the future, BQ might not have a future here. Besides, Herbert is the better prospect

1 Like

It has some merit

1 Like

The real question is have they met with Herbert too?

And/or keeping up the façade. You can’t trade the pick to a team that wants a QB if nobody thinks you’ll take the quarterback and all they got to do is wait

2 Likes

Not his back injury , his back injury is not a linger scenario . No different then cutting your finger and it healing up .He is no more likely to suffer the injury again then any other person playing QB .

He is healthy and still young in comparison to others who have played or who are playing …Stafford could easily play at his same level for 5 more years . His game does not revolve around traits lost in your early 30’s

Ok explain away the other 2.

My understanding is what Stafford suffered in both seasons 2018/2019 was a Transverse Process Fracture , painful it’s a fractured bone but with no long term effects once healed , those comparing it to soft tissue or discs or nerves are missing the actual issue here …
This was bad luck hitting twice with no relevance to each other. No back stability issues , no loss of mobility , no loss of function or strength or flexibility …The length in healing between this year and last most likely due to how may fractures he had and how long they were …My Ortho Doctor buddy of mine told me he is no more likely to suffer this injury again than any other QB who never had this injury . How hard you get hit and bad luck are the determining factors . This is not a case of now he has a bad back and this is something that will bother him …it heals stronger than before it was fractured .
Romo suffered this injury but also had disc issues , nerve issues long before he had suffered these fractures, They are not related . Discs and suffering herniation is a much worse issue to deal with as far as being debilitating or long term and for re occurrence . The two not remotely similar. Surgery on a disc often has trimming to elevate the bulge but when you trim you lose a % of Disc eventually you are looking at having vertebra fused if re-occurence happens more than twice or three times .

2 Likes

It reminds me of Romo but I dont know the details of Romo’s back vs Stafford’s.

I hope Stafford’s has a different ending

1 Like

See above… :wink:

1 Like