Lions Mt. Rushmore

You’re right. Schmidt has to replace Barney, as tough as that is.

Layne
Schmidt
Lary
Sanders

1950s NFL All Decade Team: Those predominantly with the Lions:

Layne
Christiansen
Lary
Schmidt
Stanfel (4 with the Lions; 3 with the Redskins)

Karras
Barney
(*Although he was with the Lions from 1960-1965, Night Train Lane did not make the team while with the Lions).

Charlie Sanders was the only Lions who made the 1970s team and that was the Second Team:

Eddie Murray tied with Gary Anderson for Second Team honors in the 1980s:

https://lionstalk.com/t/lions-mt-rushmore/5390/17

You may not remember or have never seen some guys but Doug English, Bubba Baker, Ed Flanagan, Chuck Hughes were some of my favorites. Shaun Rogers, Dick Lebeau.
And, even though he never played, Fred Bilitnikoff was drafted by the Lions and the American Football League Oakland Raiders. The competing leagues drafted from the pool of players.

We should definitely start a Lions history thread. There are some good finds on youtube these days. Old games and stuff.

One crazy factoid: Bobby Layne’s journey to Detroit. We traded for him with a team that had paid the Bears for his rights, so we assumed the contract and paid the last three installments. Big sum of money in those days. Halas once said, “they should have kept paying me installments” because he was so good. lol.

Doak Walker is another Lions player that retired early. Still made the HOF though. Won two championships. Was also like the kicker or punter. Crazy thing about him was he retired after 5 years at 28, making 5 pro bowls and 4 first team all pro. Had “business interests” to attend to. wut?? Guess they didn’t pay 'em back then…

1957 always gets talked about but the Lions won 3 championships in the 50s, and went to one or two more.

Why did Bubba Baker retire? I’m guessing injury? He didn’t play long. Vaguely remember Doug English. Didn’t fully commit to being a Lions fan until they drafted Barry.

Not me, I have seen them both play. I have seen football change from what it was, to what it is. We could argue about Doak Walker, too. The guys from years gone past. Heck, Lomas Brown was great, but Creekmur was more accomplished. You would be hard pressed to find many who knew about Creekmur. I have an historical perspective many do not. The three best OL to play during the modern era, Jeff Hartings, Lomas Brown and Kevin Glover.
Bennie Bllades. Jerry Ball.
Eddie Murray, Jason Hanson, Herman Weaver…

Loved me

Still wonder how good Eric Andolsek could have been.

Joe Schmidt and Bobby Layne should be on every Lions Mt. Rushmore and I’m a relatively young Lions fan saying this. Having Stafford over Layne is insanity IMO.
For me, it’s a pretty easy 4…

Bobby Layne
Joe Schmidt
Barry Sanders
Calvin Johnson

The first two are Hall of Famers who won Championships. The latter two were two of the most dominant players to ever play the position in relatively short careers.
Whoever is #5 is a pretty distant #5. Alex Karras, Billy Sims, some of the other great 50s Lions.

I wouldn’t argue with those four.

If Stafford leads the Lions to a Super Bowl, then we can re-visit the Layne vs. Stafford discussion. Until then, the guy who led the Lions to multiple championships stays.

Bubba Baker was one of my favorite players. I saw him on Shark Tank get funding for his ribs. None of the Sharks knew who he was. Thought that was sad. I would like to try his ribs though. All the sharks said they were really good.

Joe Schmidt
Bobby Layne
Barry Sanders
Matt Stafford

the end!

Best defensive lineman in Lions history.

In my lifetime…
Barry Sanders, Herman Moore, Chris Speilman, Jerry Ball.
Why yes, they are all from the only team to win a playoff game for Detroit.

I’m surprised nobody has attacked Stafford being on some Rushmore lists
He’s been here 10-11 years and has never won a playoff game
Unfortunately, with the exception of Sanders, I think the Mt Rushmore of any team has to come from championship teams – that precludes Stafford and Johnson
Unfortunately most of us were nothing more than twinkles in our daddy’s eyes the last time the Lions last won anything

I attacked the idea of Stafford being on Lions Mt. Rushmore partially because he has never won anything which has to count for something and was never a top QB in the league outside of a few brief periods. Having him over Layne seems crazy to me even though Stafford had better stats (in a much more friendly passer league).

I put CJ there because he was a much better receiver than Stafford was/is a QB, same with Barry even though he didn’t win much. I say this as somebody who thinks the Stafford criticism by some is over the top.

I’m gonna go with the Lions top 4 scoring leaders.

Jason Hanson
Eddie Murray
Matt Prater
Barry Sanders.

2 Likes

A Lion Mt. Rushmore would be as popular as the largest ball of yarn.

1 Like

“A Lion Mt. Rushmore would be as popular as the largest ball of yarn.”

I have that on my bucket list to see!