Lions new defensive scheme

Because I’m a lions diehard… just because I rely on other sources (particularly for college scouting and analytics) as well as this board doesn’t mean there’s nothing to gain… I understand there’s a tribal mentality here that I go against that grain towards at times, it’s fine with me. Funny when certain people say the same thing but a few get credit. Part of being human. I get my dopamine elsewhere

This sums up my view accurately, off field concerns aside. The value is not there compared to other picks. No tremaine edmunds is not a bust, but we should be able to do better at #7 given the available options. I feel like part of the board is so desperate to fix what’s been an issue in recent years that long term vision and appropriate roster building strategies get ignored. Such as the cost to sign a competent MLB in free agency vs a LT or top WR.
To clarify, people don’t say he’s bad in coverage. They say he has very little experience which provides a small sample size and strategic concepts to build on and integrate on field over time. As I said he could knock it out of park, it’s possible. I rely on PFF frequently which raves about his potential. Also recognize they’re not a foolproof authority. I see this as a very clear poor value choice for us at #7. The extra comparison should drive home my point.

There’s nothing in that article that claims he’s bad in pass protection. Because he isn’t … in fact that article says a lot of what I said.

And I never said you said he’s bad in pass protection… I’m saying he’s inexperienced and for a MLB the way this draft is shaking up taking him at #7 is an obvious mistake. As much as he fits with MCDC’s persona I don’t think Holmes will select Parsons. We’re looking at this from different angles

Your the one who said he’s bad in pass protection… I refuted that and supported it with the facts.

He’s the most gifted and versatile LBer to come out in a very long time. He’s a stud and a true 3 down LBer … if you don’t like him fine … but get the facts correct at least.

Personally I think he’s the most talented defensive prospect in the draft and his ceiling is extremely high.

My thing with Parsons isn’t about his talent or capabilities. My biggest issue is that as much as we need off the ball LBs, my belief is that they don’t value them as much as other positions. Certainly not enough to justify a top 10 pick. At least that’s my two cent early take…

1 Like

Accept he’s not just an off the ball LBer. He’s a pretty good pass rusher too.

His versatility I do not question. I question his value for us at 7. Pretty good pass rushers don’t go at 7, elite ones do and they play positions where all they do is rush the passer. That wouldn’t likely be the plan w Parsons. So will he cover like guys who will go later like JOK or even Jamin? Don’t know, because he didn’t do it much. It takes more than being a great athlete to cover NFL backs and move TE’s. You have to have great instincts. Jarrad Davis was very athletic, but he couldn’t cover worth a crap. Is ANY 3-4 WILB or 4-3 MLB worth 7OA? Versatility is great, but you can only man one position per snap. That ain’t worth 7 when you can get better pass rushers if that’s what you want, and better cover guys if that’s what you want at a lower cost. If you can’t get both in one guy, who cares, because you can’t be in two places at once anyway. Give me JOK and Jordan Smith and whatever else you can get for passing on Parsons at 7. I’ll give you a better pass rusher and a better cover backer.

Watch the Cotton bowl and tell us he can’t be in two places at once. Dude 14 tackles, two sacks, three TFLs and two forced fumbles, one of his pressures led to a pick six and he almost had an int himself on one of his two PDs

Could you get the facts correct? Where did I say he’s bad in coverage? Right, I didn’t.

I said inexperienced, riskier than alternatives, and shitty value at #7 when you look at building an entire team and long term implications.

I know people are emotional because Quinntricia were bitches, it showed in our D and some fans are dying for instant gratification to rebound. I see it as clouding judgement. Shown by Air misrepresenting my point. The more I think about it the more confident I am Holmes will pass. You don’t take MLB as 3rd positional player in the draft unless he’s proven he does everything at the highest level. Which Parsons couldn’t have because he wasn’t asked to fill this role at penn state. Given league trends this is especially important.

Let’s say we have elite projected WR, LT, and MLB to choose from with similar grades. Correct theoretical move is avoid the MLB, by a lot. The more often sound theory is ignored the thinner the margins in room for error.

The chances that Parsons is the pick at 7 are exceptionally remote (IMO)

1 Like

I think he’s one of the options the Lions have on their board. The fact that they met with him multiple times tells me they are considering him seriously

I bet the Lions draft priority is something like this:

Trade down
Sewell
Parsons
Chase/Smith

Depending how the draft falls I wouldn’t be surprised it he’s the pick

I don’t believe Parsons is anywhere near that high on the Lions board. Not even sure he’s on their board at all for pick 7.

Between all of the offseason talk about character and the fact that both Dorsey and Holmes have generally avoided going off ball LBer early leads me to believe he has very little chance of being the pick.

I don’t know. Parsons seems like a knee-biter if there ever was one. You’re welcome to your speculation of course. But I doubt Campbell meets with any prospect multiple times and scouts their pro day if they don’t have a keen interest

We’ll see. I’m fairly confident that isn’t the direction. If I’m wrong I’ll eat my crow. He’s a supreme talent so I’ll get basins it.

I just don’t think they’d draft perhaps the biggest character question mark in the draft after speaking ad naseum about the need for high character.

We all are speculating of course. I don’t happen to think the team doing due diligence on the most talented defensive prospect is necessarily suggestive of him being under serious consideration. Could mean a lot of things.

What I do know is that aside from Ogeltree at 29 the key decision makers have avoided the position early in the draft.

I’ll ask you this …

Do you think the Bucks regret taking Devin White at 5OA?

Do you think ARZ regrets taking Isaiah Simmons at 8OA.

What about the Steelers taking Bush at 10OA?

This is just the last two drafts. Parsons is more polished coming out than both White and Simmons. He’s more versatile than Bush.

Watching the super bowl and how White and that Tampa Defense held KC to just 9 points makes me wish we had a LBer like that.

LBers with these kinds of abilities have been very coveted in recent drafts. For good reason.

I think Parsons has the ability to change our defensive Identity much like White did for Tampa.

2 Likes

Your saying he can’t cover. Which is false. He’s more polished than Devin White was at it coming out. He’s actually graded well when covering.

Your comparing him to Jared Davis who was a below average pass defender and making claims he will have to come out in those situations like Davis did. Which is false. Parsons is a 3 down LBer who won’t come out on passing downs. Because he can both blitz and cover.

Your calling him average to below average here when the truth is he’s been above average for a LBer in coverage.

Your making him out to be a problem in coverage when he wasn’t. His actual coverage grades are pretty good. This is why I questioned you on it.

I liked White coming out better than I like Parsons. But they from a talent standpoint alone both are elite prospects.

This is just silly.

He has no drug issues, didn’t abuse anyone, hasn’t been arrested or even accused of a crime and hasn’t been in trouble the with NCAA

Unlike these guys listed below.

Cam Newton stole a lap top went 1OA
J. Winston was accused of rape and went 1OA
R. Moss was kicked out of FSU. Got in a fight and still went 21OA.
W. Sapp failed multiple Marijuana tests and still went 12OA.
Aqib Talib failed drug tests and went 20OA
Dez Bryant violated NCAA rules, lied about it and was suspended. But was still drafted 24OA.
Joe Mixon punched a woman because she rejected him.

The Lions last HC was accused of rape by the way. We have guys are our roster with far bigger character concerns than Parsons.

Let’s pass on Parsons … he’s too risky.

You have no idea if it’s silly. You can be such a damn know it all sometimes. There clearly are red flags with him. There is no denying that. Precisely to what extent is unknown but he is widely perceived to be one of the larger potential character risks in the draft. All your aspersions regarding other posters’ silliness doesn’t change that.

As to your draft examples you have two QBs and the rest went several spots below where we are picking. And Parsons is no Warren Sapp or Randy Moss.

I’m not suggesting that Parsons doesn’t go 9th or 11th or 15th or whatever. I am however quite confident that he’s not getting picked by the Lions at 7. If I’m wrong then so be it. I’ll admit it and won’t call other posters out while doing so.

1 Like