Lions pass defense surges into top 10 over the last 3 weeks

Some more good, thought some my like this.
With the injury’s and UDFAs playing, this is quite a accomplishment.

7 Likes

He has them playing hard, which is more than you can say about Patricia.

Good will come, when you least expect it I suppose.

4 Likes

Eh… Mason Rudolph and the ghost of Baker Mayfield, out doors in the cold. Then give up 300 to Andy freakin Dalton.
Maybe things are progressing, but this should probably be filed in the “nothing to see here” category.

4 Likes

I think they are progressing some especially the increase in interceptions. AO has 5 by himself. But, 2 games in the pouring rain have helped pad those stats.

4 Likes

Still, the Rams with Jaylen Ramsey and a pro bowler Darius Williams have looked very poor.

Lions with nobodies? Playing better and better without a great pass rush. Doing very well in everything except rush 3 and drop.

It all comes down to coaching…

2 Likes

Fair. Things could really be looking up. But I’m still skeptical. Cause, Lions.

1 Like

Patricia had them playing hard… chasing receivers across the middle in man coverage over and over and over and over…

3 Likes

am I being Catfished !? no way is this April Fools…holy hell !

I have to give Dan credit for them playing hard after they folded vs Philly. It’s definitely an accomplishment to turn it around from that debacle.

However I wonder if the improved play is the result of opponents being so banged up when we faced them. Still with as banged up as we are at Edge and CB it’s still surprising the defense is playing so well.

You have to give him and Glenn a lot of credit for that.

But I’m a tad skeptical…. The lions fan in me has seen short lived progress many times that reverted back to SOL.

And we’re winless - not a lot to be excited about until they start to close out some games. It’s our defense that couldn’t close it out lately.

Careful - MP did too that first year.

And MP never fielded a winless team in December.

1. Opponent injuries at key positions.

2. Bad weather games outdoors on grass.

3. Lions anemic offense didn’t require opponents to take unnecessary chances on offense.

Expecting a revision to the mean with the Lions facing the Vikings, Cardinals, Seahawks, Broncos, Falcons, and Packers passing attacks. You’ve got 4 teams with veteran QBs (Cousins, Wilson, Ryan, and Rodgers), one of the young stars (Murray), and Bridgewater, who while not great, has a bunch of WRs to throw to.

1 Like

With re to #3, eh…none of those teams blew us out, every game was close.

Sucks we are still winless but I’m happy with DC

Man, if Dan Campbell isn’t the right guy, the Lions need to act quickly to get rid of him – by no later than the end of next season – so they don’t miss out on Aaron Glenn.

What he and Aubrey Pleasant (who could then become D-coordinator) are accomplishing with what they has to work with is pretty damned impressive.

I fear both are going to join that long list of NFL coaching greats who were on the Lions staff and got away: Shula, Knox, Belichick …

Facing Mason Rudolph, Baker Mayfield down to 3rd string WRs, and Andy Dalton can make a pass defense look pretty good.

1 Like

I do think they’ve made lemonade out of lemons in the pass defense, but I’m far from anointing them HC and DC material.

McVay passed on making Pleasant his new DC for some reason (That may have been a huge mistake).

Glenn has shown steady progress with a lot of young pups so I’m very encouraged by that trajectory. On the other hand, we still see a DL that can’t get to the QB and a tendency to drop everybody on 3rd and long or 4th and forever and it’s killed this team.

Beside, being a great head coach has so much involved that is not the same as being a great coordinator. It looks like Duce Staley is the one they are grooming to be a future head coach…

Agreed, And I think it’s a very misleading stat to say the pass D has been great the last 3 weeks when 2 of those games were played in rain throughout the game. The only game in a dome, Dalton had well over 300 yards passing.

I do give Aaron Glenn credit though for holding 5 teams under 20 points this season with a bunch of young kids on the field. If we had even a decent offense, we could have won a few games. Add some actual talent to this defense and they could be pretty good in the future.

Have to consider the weather in 2 of the 3 games played was in the rain and not too passing friendly…

Teams don’t really have to score a lot to beat Detroit. While I think the defense has played better than I expected, especially with the injuries, it’s still not a very good defense.

No it’s not but it’s light years ahead of the offense witch I think has more talent.

Actually the most impressive thing I’ve seen this year has been a decent running game at times.

1 Like