Lions PFF grades vs Pittsburgh

2 Likes

I would say that was about how I saw things play out, so no real surprise there.

I was surprised that Barnes is grade was that low

1 Like

Parker has been a pleasant surprise.

And I hate drafting O linemen and then playing them out of position. But I still think Sewell will be fine.

1 Like

Hopefully it will only last for a year or two. Move him back to left side he now has more tools in his Arsenal. I think this whole 2021 season for us = preseason for 2022. I’ll admit I was expecting better from him.

He has played two preseason games against NFL talent at 20yrs old after having not played since January of 2019.

It was going to be rough at LT or RT based on the above alone. I think he will be fine and show continued rapid improvement from game to game even at RT.

2 Likes

You’re 100% right. My expectations for Sewell were probably too high out the gate.

1 Like

They should be high. He’s going to be a beast. We’re lucky to have him.

2 Likes

Campbell had an interesting and candid press conference this morning talking about Tom Kennedy and how he continues to show out, but has some deficiencies on special teams (through no fault of effort).

He was trying to articulate how hard it is to consider all the variables on these players. In his words ‘you want the guys you can trust’. Kennedy he is trusting to make plays. Blough as well. Boyle and Tavai not so much.

2 Likes

Blough said the QBs and coaches trust Kennedy.

1 Like

so did DC. He said he trusts Kennedy to make plays on the field, but on special teams he is not doing what is needed there yet so they have to find a way to get him useful on special teams…

1 Like

Alairic Jackson started 4 years at LT for IOWA, and he was the 2nd best OT on the team for 3 of those years. He simply couldn’t make the change to RT. It happens. Is it too soon to tell? Absolutely. Doesn’t mean he moves to LT, he COULD move to LG though. Brandon Scherff, who replaced Riley Reiff at IOWA at LT, was drafted #5 in the first round of the 2015 draft. He was drafted to play LT, it didn’t work out. What DID workout was WFT got a guy who has been an all pro at LG for 2016, 2017, 2019 and 2020. Sewell gets a pass but for how long? They moved Big V inside, where we are stuck with him this season because of the money. I think for me, and this isn’t just for Sewell but the entire team and staff for that matter, I give them until the bye week to see what they can do. FatPat was like a deer in the headlights, if it wasn’t working there was no backup plan. If we only win 1 or 2 games before the bye, I’m not concerned unless they are making the same mistakes over and over. To the extent that the team grows and improves is what’s most important to me. They have been moving guys all over on the OL, Matt Nelson played 100% of the snaps I believe at LT vs Pittsburg, I’m not sure he’s ever even taken a snap at LT before. Last week he played some OG, they ARE looking for combinations and depth.

They have the money for FA’s and the draft picks early and often to fix what’s broken coming out of this season. I think we’ll see some “experiments” out there this season, I don’t believe it ends in preseason. I look for some pretty ugly moments out there, but again, by the bye week that should be over. Will we still lose, sure, but we’ll know who we can count on and should know where the holes are and how big they are. Every team has them, bad teams have more, really bad teams have coaching staffs that can’t make changes in the game to cover them up. I think everyone here is prepared for what happens this season, but it doesn’t mean we shouldn’t expect to see a staff that can show the ability and willingness to not make it worse.

Penei Sewell is WAY more talented than Alaric Jackson. He’ll be fine. Everyone just needs to settle down.

1 Like

You missed the point, is he way better than Brandon?

I feel like the Lions are going to have to make some really tough cuts at RB and DT

My Comp was Ogdon so yeah #MeToo.

Yes. I didn’t miss your point. I just disagree with it.

Some of you are acting like Penei is Derek Zoolander.

You disagree when I said , “Is it too soon to tell? Absolutely.” There are players who CAN’T make the move, it happens, are you so sure that Sewell will be able to? I hope he can, he’s only 20 and only had so much time to learn. If he doesn’t, making all pro at another position…that doesn’t suck. What we got is an exceptional athlete who got drafted to play a different position. There are no guarantee’s.

Disagree, those are not positions of strength and I doubt other teams chase after our castoffs.