Lions picking qb anthony richardson florida

Goff has a chance to do something in his second season here that Stafford never did. WIN A PLAYOFF GAME!!!

3 Likes

Except Malik and Richardson are not the same prospect.

2 Likes

I was on that a week ago… :rofl::rofl::rofl:

dude driving GIF

1 Like

I fully expect Robinson to be gone somewhere in the 10-15 range. If we are drafting in the 20-25 range I believe the pick should be Gibbs if we’re going RB. This is assuming we fall out of the Carter/Anderson Jr sweepstakes because otherwise I would see them going with 1 of those 2 and a DB with our pick.

Hopefully we can either nab a RB with one of our 2nd’s or somehow make a trade sometime during the draft and get a 4th rounder and have Brad grab one then because it would for sure be a stud then lol.

1 Like

Be Quiet Ben Stiller GIF

2 Likes

Why would it cause issues? It would be Goff’s job to lose, and he’d likely win easily in 23 and maybe 24. After that, you have to pay him. Pay him lots.
Dan has said every job is up for competition. Why should QB be an exception??

2 Likes

Of course. But there are similarities. Both raw, toolsy, not ready to start high ceiling low floor guys

Color me pleasantly surprised by what I’ve seen from Richardson on tape.

His pocket presence is borderline uncanny, sometimes it seems like he’s got eyes in the back of his head. He does a lot of things that are hard to teach, he keeps his eyes downfield in the face of pressure, he’s really good at subtly moving up in the pocket while keeping his eyes downfield. He also makes plenty of pre-snap adjustments and goes through his progressions far better than I thought he would.

And when he does take off and run he does it like a RB. This isn’t just an athletic QB who can make teams pay with his speed, he really understands how to set up blocks and runs through more arm tackles than any QB I think I’ve ever seen. I think he’ll be the best weapon on the ground in the league as a QB.

He has a ton to work on with his lower body mechanics as well as his accuracy and touch, but those things are more teachable. If he goes to the right place he could really be a weapon in a couple of years. Remember he’s only 20.

TLDR: I think Richardson has the stuff you can’t teach in spades. If he gets good coaching he could be one of the best QBs in the league in a couple of years.

3 Likes

If you’re going to draft Goff’s backup, you draft someone with a similar playstyle as Goff. If this person’s only role right now is to step in and control the offense as it is, you don’t want a guy you need to reconfigure the offense around by adding RPOs and eliminating timing routes.

I do not understand the obsession with measurables. It’s a complete red flag to me if you have the measurables in college and are still playing average. Considering Brad Holmes is the guy that drafted ARSB and Kupp, I’m not super worried the Lions make that kind of error.

Oh he drafts athletes, he has some of the highest RAS drafting out of anyone.

Now I agree that there are lots and lots of guys who are only athletes and never become real football players. But there’s also the flip side, guys with traits for days who only need good coaching to fully unlock them. Guys like Josh Allen, Chris Jones, Danielle Hunter, Odafe Oweh, Justin Herbert, Isaiah Pacheco, Comiskey, etc… There’s probably more of the former but the latter exist, and especially at QB it’s best to make sure.

1 Like

I like Tanner McKee as our backup but he’s been moving up boards lately. He fits the profile of guys that have been brought in. Tall pocket passers with enough arm talent to throw the long ball.

I think it’s just the opposite. The backup QB runs your scout team and helps get your defense ready. I want a guy who’s the polar opposite of Goff to help prep my defense for games.

A good OC will adjust his play calling to match his QB.

4 Likes

Pretty funny and accurate. So if/when Ben Johnson takes a HC gig, and Goff leads another top 5 offense, then DC will get credit for being an OC whisperer… well except Lynn-

1 Like

That’s less a function of Holmes and more the fact that the Lions had multiple first round picks and several players that didn’t test. That skews the results.

2 Likes

Having watched many Stanford games I have no idea why this would be the case. However if I was casting a film where one of the parts was mediocre PAC12 QB, he’d get an audition.

1 Like

He is my favorite QB this cycle (probably obvious as I talk about him a lot) and I think he’d be perfect behind Goff for a year or two. Of course he isn’t as developed as Stroud or Young but his upside is as high as I’ve ever seen a QB in terms of physical tools. I think its very important he is put in the right situation to succeed in the NFL because of how raw he is and I think the Lions would be a good landing spot.

2 Likes

This is an old mock draft. I haven’t seen any lately having us take a QB and I’ve looked.

Richardson woiuld be an awesome Taysom Hill type while he learns. That’s not why you’re drafting him of course but it’s helpful for sure.

3 Likes

Here is an exercise:

Lets say you are the GM of the Lions and you want to draft Richardson. Myabe that is unrealistic and I don’t want to get into the whole “should we”. Lets just pretend Holmes does want to do this for a second. What is the best way? The problem is twofold. First, you already have a QB that is youngish and playing well and under contract for two more years. Second, you have a defense that needs attention if you want to make a run.

How do you find a way to draft Richardson, which is a bit a luxury and a bet hedge, and still fix the defense? My guess is a small trade down to pick up a day two pick and hope Richardson is there. That way you still have that extra pick to get a defensive guy that has starter level talent. Of course, I’m still not convinced that Richardson isn’t a top 10 guy by the time the dust settles.

2 Likes

Staffords haters still hate him, especially after he won the Super Bowl they said he never would, or could.
It’s the same with the Goff haters.

3 Likes