Lions power rankings show the wide divide on QB Jared Goff

Goff is just inconsistent. There are times where he looks like a top 5 QB, and times where he looks like Zach Wilson. I mean, all QBs have some inconsistency, but he looks his worst, when we need him the most. If you need a GW drive, I don’t have much confidence in him. 2 mins left in the 4th quarter, I don’t trust Goff. 35 seconds left in the 4th quarter always felt like more than enough for Stafford.

I still don’t want to draft a QB in the higher rounds, but would take a flier on a late round guy

Or get a closer… ala stafford… someone who plays just the last 5 minutes of each half

1 Like

Jared Goff has 9 4th QTR comebacks and 11 game winning drives in his 5 seasons + 9 games. To include the one this year against Chicago.

Matthew Stafford had 13 4th QTR Comebacks and 15 Game Winning Drives at this same point in his career.

2 Likes

LOL - THAT, my bro…is a fantastic idea!
“The closer” in football…niiiice!

1 Like

IMO Goff has played his way into another season for us. However, I really like the idea of having a young, long term insurance policy. Draft Hooker in the 2-3. Or Richardson. Or trade for Kyle Wilson.
Let Goff know he’s our guy. And if he bites the dust in 2023, we’ve got a legit high ceiling prospect who’s been with the team for a season.

2 Likes

Hooker has been my choice as a late round pick. I think he was already a 3rd round guy before the injury. I think we could get him in the 5th

AMAZING COACHING!!!
SO proud of them for getting the ceiling out of everyone in the ultimate “next man up” scenario!

…and some think THE COACH needs to be replaced.
Friggin’ miracle worker, so far! Let’s see what he can do, once we get som talent, for sure.

I get EVERYTHING you said and agree with it too. I truly can see both sides of this.

I really do think our coaches have not gotten neeeeaaar the credit they deserve.
Well done, boys! Keep it up!

1 Like

Great take on Goff. We argue that Campbell should have run the ball on that critical 3rd and 1 on Thanksgiving, but the line was loaded, and our two replacement guards were actually playing very poorly. So, BJ called a play that required the QB to hit an open man. He didn’t.

I thought it made more sense to run the ball cuz even if you don’t make it, you make them eat clock or a TO but they called a different play, it was there for the taking and everyone in football from Goff himself to Mike Martz says play design worked and Goff’s pass didn’t. That’s who he is.

1 Like

I think this is were people opinion very, some believe he misses key throws because of the defense , Oline and lack of good WRs. Others see it as even a bad wr gets open the QB is expect to get the ball to him. Seems the defense and Oline even WRs were good enough to stay with the bills down to the last min. But on the play to win the game now there not good enough and the reason why Goff missed the play. Truth against the eagles, vikes and Bills we had a shot and in each we couldn’t make the play when it counted.

1 Like

Lets just look at Stafford for context. Matt goes to a team with a SB roster, they add OBJ and Von Miller, the team stays healthy and they win a SB. This year injuries kick in and they have depleted roster….and amazingly Staffords not producing like he was?

I am in no way comparing Goff to Stafford but who you have surrounding your QB goes a long way in how they play.

I absolutely want a young QB to develop. We should have brought someone in last year or a Malik Willis this year even. It’s insane that Holmes hasn’t addressed it.

But I really don’t want to go into next season with a rookie QB. I’m ready to be competitive now and not waiting another season or two while we develop a rookie QB.

3 Likes

I’ve watched that third and one play a few times from different vantage points. Mike Martz nailed it. I initially thought Chark made the wrong read in not running the route for the back shoulder throw which is where Goff put it. But Martz contended that the reason the play didn’t work was that Goff threw the ball TOO EARLY. Why did he throw it early? He was leery of possible pressure in the pocket.

When Chark started his route, he hardly had any separation, so Goff figured back shoulder. If he would have waited another second, Chark blew by his guy and even put his hand up, but Goff already had made his decision to throw back shoulder.

I’m not dumping on Goff – I see why he threw it early. We had two guards that don’t pass block very well. He didn’t want to get sacked, or have his arm hit while throwing. But this kind of play kinda shows whats wrong. Stat-wise, it wouldn’t go down as a pressure or Goff failing under pressure. But no doubt he anticipated pressure which led to the incompletion.

2 Likes

I truly think it’s by design.
…just order of building, and how it impacts the future.

Goff also couldn’t take a sack there either so the ball had to come out fast. Would have been nice if Chark had been playing and practicing more….and maybe they would have been on the same page.

1 Like

Or you have a guy that plays well for most of the game but falls apart the last 5 min only to lose.

You mean like the one he took in the end zone ?

Yea that was bad enough….but now we’re at the end of the game and we can’t have a sack.

Honestly I’m surprised there’s not more talk about the defense giving up the lead with 25 seconds on the clock.

But hey we blamed Stafford for everything that was wrong with this franchise and might as well blame Goff as well.

4 Likes

Yeah but that was a laser and just a great throw when it counted, Kirby was just about a inch from making that play. Fact is there is only a few QBs that could make that throw with that kinda of zip. That was a forty yrd rope. Being able to make that throw was the difference in the game.

Absolutely. Communication is real important.

I agree on the throw and I’m not blaming any one part of the team for the loss. I thought Goff played a pretty good game but definitely missed some throws……just like Allen missed some throws as well.

Just amazes me how the QB position always gets the blame. Goff is easily the second best QB we’ve had playing for this team and people think we can easily upgrade from him in the off season. I mean I’d love to have a Mahomes or Allen playing in Detroit but what’s the odds we draft that guy and he starts next year? To me it’s not happening. Keep building the roster and developing a young QB so that when they take over they are playing with a playoff talented roster.

2 Likes

I don’t think you need a Mahomes, but you need to be able to make that throw when the game is on the line. Fact is if Jared completes that pass Allen doesn’t get to make that throw. The defense should have never had to be put in that position. But yeah they failed too.

2 Likes