Lions prospects you KNEW were going to bomb

I think Chuck Longs arm strength was his downfall. Smaller, tighter, faster closing windows in the NFL, and he just didn’t have the arm to compensate. Crazy accruate, but not very strong. Then after coming to Detroit, Longs accuracy suffered greatly as his arm proved ineffective throwing from the supine position.

1 Like

I’m going to echo Ebron, Stanton and Fat Mike. I already gave an earful about Erry Day Chuck…

So I’m going to go with Mike McMahon, Mikel LeShoure, the obvious Teez, Alex Carter, kinda Ryan Broyles, Shaun cody, Kalimbust, and going way back I kinda hated the David Sloan pick.

1 Like

I mean, what did you expect from a 5th rounder from Rutgers?

He was such a beast on NFL2k. Young me never understood the disconnect. :laughing:

Oh yeah, I definitely railed against him. He was one of those guys who’s measurables and traits made you think you might be able to turn him into a football player…when the film was clear that he wasn’t a good football player. And this is where I think some people, experts and even NFL scouting departments don’t give enough credit to college coaches. College coaches make money too, some more than NFL coaches. All of the major college football programs are flush with cash, this isn’t the 1960’s. If THEY couldn’t get it out of him, you have to ask yourself why. Sometimes there is a perfectly good explanation. Other times? Its that the kid simply isn’t a good football player, regardless of the body he’s in.

I played with a few future pros and many guys who went on to play college ball. I remember many moons ago one of the guys I grew up with and eventually played ball with ended up “getting scouted” on our forum as a deep sleeper candidate at LB. And why wouldn’t he? He was 6’3” 240 lbs with a 6 pack and ran in the 4.4s. His highlight film looked good and anything you didn’t see on film you thought “well we’ll just teach him when he gets here.” To that I said…not exactly. He had tremendous work ethic and some natural gifts as an athlete (he was always the fastest kid in our school since elementary school)…but he simply wasn’t “good” at football. When it came to phone booth area explosiveness, he wasn’t very good. He also lacked some of the basic instincts necessary for the game, but overcame it with athleticism and hard work…not something you can do at the NFL level when everyone on that level is as athletic and works just as hard. Now you are left in a situation that you can’t simply just “out work.” You either have it, or you don’t. And he didn’t.

But football was always just one path he thought he could follow. He was extremely smart and his athletic dedication was matched in the classroom. As a side note he’s got several degrees, a good job and his wife is a fitness model. Things worked out for him. LOL

2 Likes

The anti-Foster.

Right? You’d think that if he were the man, he’d have had 16 starts.

But he only got 8. Only 55% of the offensive snaps (1 special teams snap)

Lots of targets bunched in a few games. Still only 60% catch rate. (lower than with Lions).

He’s still a bust. He just got press because the media likes to bust our balls. It’s super funny to kick a team when they’re down…

2 Likes

The piano man, Harrington with his Billboards on display in Oregon. The sad thing was that Millen loved Brees the year before and never picked him which would have meant no Harrington. That move more so than picking all the 1st round WRs was his major blunder!!!

2 Likes

I wonder why Millen liked him so much…

1 Like

Maybe that comment to Johnnie Morton was Millen projecting …

That is some funny stuff.

1 Like

Yep. Once you hear his description of UNICEF, it’s in your brain for life.

Next to Sam Kinison, that routine is the most memorable of all of the acts that were at Rodney’s. (to me anyway)

Here’s a name @Yooperlion brought up in another thread.

Maurice Clarret.

Boy, I thought he was going to be a really good one. Man did I miss that one!

1 Like