Lions QB Jared Goff: 'I feel like I am playing the best football of my career right now'

There are a lot of fans who feel his play can’t get better because he is who he is…. and he sucks.

I saw a kid who was playing pretty good ball straight out of college. Whom seemed to have a falling out with his coach. The relationship was clearly strained and it effected his play. But I still saw signs of life there.

I do think he’s playing better, almost as good as 2018 and at times last year he was too.

This guy we see now is who he is. He’s the guy who lead the Rams to a Super Bowl. He is not the guy we saw early last season…. I also think he can continue to improve and build on it.

I’m not opposed to upgrading if the right QB comes along but I’d prefer to keep building around him and wait and see if he continues to improve.

I do believe we can win with Goff. I always have.

10 Likes

I think he can too. He is a cerebral guy who can o the smart guy stuff.
I can live with it as long as we’re winning. He’s never gonna be the gunslinger or tough guy…but he’s EXTREMELY likable, can make all of the throws.

I can see him continuing to improve at the smart guy stuff, as well as feeding on the energy of his teammates an getting a bit better at the tough guy stuff too.

I believe we WILL win with him…THAT question being answered was SO cool…as this is the fastest path to competing for all the marbles, possibly as soon as next year.

3 Likes

I agree. I’ve been preaching this.

I want to win now. I do not want to suffer through the growing pains of a rookie QB. So few are the studs many of us dream they will be.

We can win with Goff and I think he can get even better. He has the tools to win it all and as long as he’s playing smart football I’d like to give him every opportunity to succeed until he does or proves he can’t do it.

7 Likes

He’s kinda the forgotten man, but he could be Ben Johnson’s mentor for all we know. Johnson gets all the credit it seems, Brunell had a great nfl career and has won playoff games. I really don’t know how much impact he’s made or not. It’s all speculation. Brunell could be a complete stud as a coach.

2 Likes

Exactly where I’m at… Rookie QB’s suck 90% of the time, maybe 95% of the time. This roster can win now if we add studs with magic beans next year. This roster is loaded with young talent before they get paid off in free agency. The time to win is now and the next 2 years!

4 Likes

…with one exception.
We truly know that our HC is the engine behind everything…

2 Likes

Maybe, but guys like Duce, Brunell and Randel El were even better pros than MC/DC ever was! I think it’s a group effort and the impact those guys have in the locker room may be way more than we know.

2 Likes

I promise it’s HUGE (what she said )
Those guys were better players for sure…but the only reason Coach Campbell got to play was guts’n’grit…that’s why he’s such a great teacher of the philosophy, because he built his entire career on it.
He wasn’t very talented compare to top tier guys.

Those other cats are huge impact too…for sure. I promise you that our HC is impacting an boosting them all.

3 Likes

I’m good with it all brother!! I’m just trying to give all the offensive coaches credit. Fraley too… shit we have a top 10 offense and most of our best players have barely played.

I just pray to baby jesus this continues!!

1 Like

I LOVE them all too.
I just hope we on’t lose 'em to promotions on other teams.
Top to bottom effort on this level of growth - GLORIOUS

3 Likes

I actually hope we lose em all, that means the Lions are kicking serious ass, including several playoff wins to lose all those guys!

2 Likes

The true test will be to see a game when the Lions trail by 10 points in the 4th quarter… and to see Goff sling it when the defense knows they have to throw.

When the defense can pin their ears back and rush… things speed up a lot. That is where I want. to see Goff take the next step.

He did show he could handle it against the Bears late in the game… so will be interesting how things turn out if he has to get a TD against a better team when trailing by 4 or more.

2 Likes

I think it’s too late…tha’ts a boulder rolling down a hill. The ass-kicking is already “a thing”.

LOL.
Next year - Juggernaut!!!

X Men Running GIF

2 Likes

Like the Vikes game last year!!! But yes agreed for sure.

It sure is nice to be fired up about the Lions for the first time in like 5 years.

Happy Monday Night Raw GIF by WWE

4 Likes

Goff never had a chance for me to acknowledge his level of play as a Ram, due to perception. Becoming a Lion was the ultimate litmus test. We know this team front and back. He has earned my respect.

1 Like

I don’t know brother….

He gets up after a hit faster than most I can remember…. That’s tough-

I’ve never seen him screaming at his teammates for not being where he expected… that’s discipline.

He celebrates success with enthusiasm and brotherhood, but doesn’t get overly down or negative.

He’s up for Walter Payton man of the year award?

He convinced his Super Model wag to support our lil ole city.

• if that isn’t BDE Natty, what is?

I don’t like loud, fiesty, fiery from my QB… MLB? Sure. Even a DT or RB…

His “shitty” year was 4,200 yards… 21 tds and 14 ints with 67% completion. Prorated a tiny bit for the game he missed with the finger. He also played through that hand for weeks.

5 Likes

Jerad Goff’s toughness to me is a non issue, has been since 2017, not sure I’d define toughness by virtue of a fiery personality

Glad to see he’s doing well growing into this offense, he obviously has command

1 Like

Levels’n’layers

I have ZERO qualms with him, his talent, his intelligence, his ability to make throws, etc.

He’s just fine. He will stat out at top 5, next year. Our OL an run game will give him plenty of opportunity!
He’s growing still.

1 Like

Many ways…not just fiery personality.
he is VERY tough around injury
one of the best there is about “short memory” after mistakes
lots of stuff.
Other ways…not so much. It’s wiring.
Nobody has every single thing ya want.
Just a matter of what leadership style o ya want, an what’s best for your team?

Our guys will rally around him.
he’s talented enough to share defenses if given time.

Im a fan of J-Goff
I like him as a human, & as an athlete.
I’m glad we have him, an SUPER gal he was include in that asset switch with the asset exchange with the Ram-O’s.

The curse is broken …the football gods are smiling upon us

We got coach Campbell
We got Holmes
We got good luck baby
We got 1/2 a friggin team for Matt!

Things are extremely well in Detroit
best time in my life to be a Lions fan

2 Likes

I think he has to get credit, but I pointed out last year, When Goff started playing better toward the end of the season, and after that first win, the way he went straight to DC and hugged him to the point of embarrassment, I think Dan had a huge part in helping him get his confidence back. Brunell probably is big on helping him develop fundamentals.
McVey probably had the biggest hand in breaking him down.