Lions Release Zach Zenner

If he was “good” at special teams, I’m pretty sure they’d have carved out a roster spot for him. He plays them, yes. But he’s not a “good” special teams player.

1 Like
2 Likes

Media has been reporting quips like this for a while.

"as Zenner is a standout on special teams"

They talked about his snaps on special teams, and I get that part. I think he ended up doing like 60-70% of the special teams snaps when he came back in 2018 and had a similar number during the 2017 season. But he’s not really “good” at special teams. Have you watched him? Sure he’s willing. Sure he’s not going to do something stupid that you told him not to do. But he’s not “good” at it. I think if he were actually good at it, they would have kept him.

1 Like

ZZ was a great role player and I think he will be missed… sometimes. But it is a young player’s role to come take his job.

It’ll be interesting to see if he’s picked up by another team. I read Houston’s down a running back.

Honestly guessing that Ty Johnson will make us forget all about him.

1 Like

Yup, that’s what I’m thinking, too, NatMan. In the larger scheme of things, Zack won’t be missed. We love his story, we love the long shot, the underdog… If the Lion’s brass believe they have an upgrade over what Zack brought to the table, the choice becomes really easy.

2 Likes

Not especially. I don’t watch any film or anything, so I cant really tell.

1 Like

James Williams (Washington State) is a faster and more decisive runner than Theo Riddick — he had 83 catches in 2018 — and would offer the Lions a different 3rd-down option if Riddick’s contract becomes burdensome.

Wow! This dude is a completely different animal from ZZ. I’ve heard Quinn reference building team speed on multiple occasions, and I’m sure he sees much of the value that ZZ can bring in Bawden. This dude is more like competition for Ty. Maybe he’s a ST ace? Hard to say? Maybe he’s a dude that they view as nothing more than an upgrade to try to win the preseason game (doubtful)? Quinn truly leaves no stone unturned. Dude is constantly trying to improve the bottom and middle of the roster with developmental guys and flat-out upgrades (or perceived upgrades).

1 Like

Yes…and this from same write up about RB’s.

“Ty Johnson (Maryland) offers a similar skill set as Hill, but at a lower price tag (likely in the late rounds). Despite being bigger than Hill he is more apt to run away from contact but he also has the vision to execute that approach.”

3 Likes

It lookeslike the Lions want a faster backfield overall and probably released him now so he has time to latch on with another team before camp ends. With KJ, CJ & Bawden already locking up roster spots there isn’t much room for another back unless he brings something unique to the table which is where Ty and/or Williams come in to play. We need a 3rd down pass catcher which does not play to Zenner’s strengths as a RB.

Didn’t last long.
James Williams – per NFL Transaction wire