Lions resign Josh Reynolds

Good signing
No doubt the structure makes sense for both parties

1 Like

This could also be a product of the Lions kicking the tires on the top FA WR and finding the asking prices not to their liking.

Better the devil you know :grinning:

Aren’t they not allowed to negotiate until later though?

I have to think agents get word out there what their clients are looking for before the official UFA tampering period.

1 Like

Good move, was really hoping we would bring him back. Goff had a connection with Reynolds clearly. Goff also had a connection with Cephus early in the season. And clearly St. Brown is a stud. WR core aint half bad all of sudden.

Now, we still need a true #1 WR to cap off this position group.

Another off season box checked. Bravo…

2 Likes

Good move. Low cost, low commitment. Now we have a floor at receiver and can go after whomever we want through draft. My only worry is if Holmes actually wants to build a team around Goff.

I hope his plan is to restore Goff’s respectability, draft his superior (this year or next), then trade him for a decent pick at end of 2023.

I could be wrong here, but that would shock me. I believe the intention was always to re-sign Reynolds regardless of what they do in FA.

The agent for one of the top pending free agent receivers said the Lions indicated in a meeting last week they value his receiver in the same financial ballpark he expects his player to fetch in free agency, and multiple other sources view the Lions as legitimate contenders to sign one of the position’s premier free agents.

I’m sure that factored into it, but Josh re-signing with the Lions was just a hair less certain than death and taxes.

Solid signing… he fit right in, and fits for the short future at least. Reynolds checks a box off for one of the WRs Randel El wanted this off-season. Now sign or draft another option, and they’ve made strides in the WR room

4 Likes

The offense is pretty close. We need one more legit WR and a 2nd TE to pair with Hock. Other than that, the offense is ready to rock.

The defense on the other hand, lol. I’d imagine we use 75% of our draft picks on defense.

2 Likes

We better or I will be extremely dissappointed

2 Likes

That is possible an I think they are also showing other FA they will try an get on one year show us deals that if you show us we will reup you.
This shows league they want players who play there best an if they do they get refresh deal.

This also improves starting depth heading into FA market. Unlike WR rooms was lonely for Cephus last season at this time.

Why if he plays really well would you want to move on? By end of 2022 his price will look great an if he plays really well why would you move on?

He is young an I was not his fan early but second half he showed he can lead the team. If he plays good I keep him why trade him?

One word. Pressure. Goff handles it poorly. It’s why he led the league in pix when he had a much better set of receivers in LA. It’s why we were screaming at him for throwing the ball away on 4th down early in the year. DC’s play calling schemed away much of the pressure on Goff in the 2nd half and our OL blocked out the sun.

So, I’d like to get a QB who reads faster, needs less scheming to be effective, and can turn on the jets when all else fails - rather than throwing to the other team or to the change of possession refs on the sidelines.

Well you better not hold your breath looking for that.

1 Like

There’s a more active thread on it here for those who wish to continue to discuss.

I’m not going to merge them. At this point it would be too confusing.

Here’s the link to the other thread.