Lions restructure Big V to create cap space & Campbell on Fraley & OL

2 Likes

Doesn’t change much but I think they’ll work with him to keep him here for another 2-3 years.

1 Like

Before anyone freaks out about this. This doesn’t mean anything about Vaitai. Converting money to signing bonus doesn’t change how the Lions feel about Vaitai going forward.

If we restructured Vaitai’s contract and cut him the Lions would be at $40M under the cap in 2022. If the Lions restructured someone else and left Vaitai’s contract alone . . . and cut him after the season, the Lions would be $40M under the cap in 2022. EXACT SAME SPOT.

Despite what some in the media might say . . . it doesn’t mean anything.

14 Likes

Thanks DS. Is it possible they are trying to carve out some money to resign someone who’s performing like a CH or JRM? Doesn’t seem like much, but wonder what the motivation would be?

1 Like

Why would the team be worried about 2021 cap space with 2 games left? left? Do they really expect to sign someone?

Maybe a TE? The dutch kid got his kneecap broken (is that somehow ironic)

1 Like

I looked a couple days ago and OTC had us at less than 200K under the cap. If we IR’d someone or cut/sign someone, we may not have had enough cap space to do it.

They won’t be extending anyone . . . they’ll handle that after the Superbowl.

2 Likes

Josh reynolds?

1 Like

What’s wrong with grabbing someone now or locking one down that you see as a players long term?

This is why we needed the space . . .

1 Like

gotta be some kind of pinknee biting joke in there somewhere…

1 Like

We have a Pinckney, MI here in the southeast corner of the state. Because of that, the name probably goes in one ear and out the other for most of us Michiganders.

2 Likes

This comes as a total surprise, but apparently Holmes and Friends thinking several moves ahead of me…

1 Like

Man o man. I read your stuff and realize how much I have to learn.

1 Like

Regardless I can’t help but think big V will be back next year. Him and Sewell are having too much fun, the Lions want to build the Oline, and his pay hasn’t exactly hamstrung the lions Cap or anything

2 Likes

I find the restructure somewhat interesting.
Only a 1.3 million restructured? Agree this does not affect much long term cap hits, but what does it really say?
Here was an opportunity to restructure a deal that benefits both player and team. Maybe cut back the salary a good chunk per year moving forward and throw in a healthy sign bonus. Add in a year or two with heavy back end salary to appease the ego.
It could help the cap for the next 3 years and offer some security for Big V.
The minimal restructure makes me think Big V is not in the long term plans. Maybe I’m reading too much into it…

We still have him for three more seasons. He is signed through his age 31 season. Not need to extend him at this point and with his recent play I don’t see him willing to restructure. His 2022 salary is reasonable, but in 2023 and 2024 it is a little expensive compared to his quality of play. With Ragnow back and his best buddy Sewell next to him I see Vatai making another jump in 2022.

1 Like

It was only done to make room for some necessary signings. It doesn’t say anything about Vaitai or their plans for him.

1 Like