Lions signing Jamie Collins

Saints offered also offered it seems.

He’s still very productive and one of the best OLB’s in the league.

What do you guys think about Collins or Tavai in the middle and moving Jarrad Davis outside? If Austin Bryant shows anything, he and/or Davis could replace Kennard and the Lions save $5.675 mil in cap.

2 Likes

Fans need to look ahead in 2021 an some of the LBs that will be gone an there cost now.

Its not just cost this year ,take a look a FA in 2021

1 Like

I’m not a big Kennard fan but at this point you aren’t taking his money and getting a better player.

And I haven’t seen anything from Bryant that tells me he’s ready to take that step.

Combine numbers from a decade ago are irrelevant.

Basically a two year deal. Happier about this one since it’s much shorter term.

The comment about signing former players being lazy does seem a bit true. I get bringing in your guys but not exert member of the band news to come back on the reunion tour

2 Likes

I like to look at the measurables to try and get a sense of what kind of guys BQ/MP target. I never said it was the reason.

But those aren’t his measureables anymore. Likely the only accurate one is his height.

I was thinking we would go Fowler but I get this signing.

We have ti hope Collins is a London Fletcher-type player. A guy who just knows how to play. And we know he knows this system and we need that and we needed an upgrade to the LBer core in a HUGE way.

London retired in 2013 when he was 38 I believe. And he was a really solid player for the Redskins for 7 years meaning when he came to the Redskins he was 31.

Is Collins maybe London Fletcher? I don’t know but in the last two seasons Jamie has 11 sacks, 185 tackles, 4 INTs and 1 pick six. He had 7 sacks and 3 INTs last season for the Patriots. I’ll take that if we can get that here in 2020.

2 Likes

I like this better than the OL signing.

Also, this guarantees Isaiah Simmons is NOT their 1st rounder.

5 Likes

example about FA Kenard is getting just over 7 million this year his cap hit he is FA next year that 7 mil would help cover Collins cap hit he will not be huge hit this year an like someone posted its likely a 2 year deal to play an they will take a cap hit in 2022 if he is worth more than his play. What we need is two good years from him.

Davis cap hit this season $3,490,197 next season he is UFA just how this works maybe they resign maybe they don’t

13th ranked linebacker overall per PFF last year, including 14th in coverage and 10th in the pass rush. The Lions LB group needed upgrading, and this is it.

7 Likes

Maybe. But I like to compare the measurables to linebackers/positions on the Lions and Pats. This may help us assess what kind of linebackers the Lions target via draft or free agency.

According to OTC, the Lions don’t save any cap space by cutting Davis this year, and under the new NFLPA agreement the Lions can exercise the 5th year option if they want to and then back out of it. But my guess is, they’ll try to sign him as an FA next year IF THEY WANT TO. Cuz if they exercise that option then that’s what they gotta pay him if they want to keep him around.

Kennard is the guy they could cut this year and save some cap space, like $5.675 mil.

It’s just one play, but kind of funny.

Good signing. I wanted him last year and scratched my head when we didn’t do it, yet NE took the gamble.

1 Like

NE also signed him to the vet minimum.

2 Likes

This is a really good move for BQ/MP. They need to win now. Collins is still a really good player, knows the system, and one would assume respects Patricia. The last is important because as long as you don’t get the Cleveland Collins experience he’s been a consistently excellent player.

Was also a stud pass rusher at Southern Miss and he can do a bit of that if you choose to use him that way.

1 Like