Lions to meet with Quentin Johnson WR TCU

He is expected to be the 1st WR off the board and a top 10 pick. Interesting that we are possibly looking at WR that early in the draft

1 Like

You have to think if he is there for the NYG, then thats their pick.

1 Like

Chark walks in free agency, Holmes goes WR again in round 1, and then let the Matt Millen jokes begin.

I’m really not against it though. Take stud players. Don’t just draft a corner because we need one. Draft impact players, especially in the 1st round.

7 Likes

My take….he goes to Houston to pair w Bryce young.

His 40 will possibly move the needle on him in a positive manner bc I think he has fallen outside of the top 10 as of right now.

7 Likes

I would expect the Lions to meet with almost everyone at the combine. I highly doubt this is a signal of interest one way or the other. They are simply doing their due diligence.

11 Likes

Top 10 is pretty rich for Quentin Johnston, IMO. The Lions need to be aware of his value and he may enter the picture around 18, but I think he’ll be snapped up before he becomes a bargain for the Lions.

3 Likes

If he blows up the combine I have been hoping Houston tries to move up the board. They need to pair thw QB they take with a legit weapon and Johnston profiles as a future #1.

2 Likes

WR could actually be a target earlier than we think.

Think about this…

Chark - Currently a free agent, injured very often
Kalif - entering last year of his deal
Reynolds - entering last year of his deal
St. Brown - 2 years left, clearly getting a new deal
Jamo - Huge talent, but we still need to see it, under control for 3-4 more years
Cephus - entering last year of his deal, always injured

This time next year several of these guys will be free agents. The guys in bold will be here long term. All the others, who knows!?

9 Likes

While not the way I would hope that we go at 6, we could do much worse.

Positional value: check
Talent: I have no reason to doubt.
Fit: I trust Chris, Dan and Brad to get that right.
Need: If we are playing chess.

I still think the interior d-line is what we need and I will trust the brain trust to get that right. Willing to go edge if the talent aligns. I like CB if we have slight trade down or one of the prospects elevates to the draft position.

Lots of moving parts right now.

Due diligence and all that, but personally im not all that excited about him as a prospect and i dont want a WR in the first. If we had last years wr talent in this draft i think he would be a 2nd rounder.

3 Likes

So, if you are behind us and are thinking that you can wait to get Johnson, you might have to start thinking about what it would take to get him.

3 Likes

Agree 100%. The only guy who interests me early (and I still wouldn’t take him unless the board falls for us in a catastrophically bad way) is Jalin Hyatt. And he’s a really flawed prospect too, it’s just that what he’s good at (speed, ball tracking) fits so well with us specifically that I’d be fine with adding him.

2 Likes

you know I hadn’t thought about it but now seeing it it’s a great reason for a WR to get drafted, especially a talent with speed.
While I think our offense is really set and doesn’t need high picks and would rather build a stupid dline, chark and cephus are honestly questionable at game time imo.

1 Like

I think JSN is going to be the star of the first round wrs. I think id rather have him. Basically like having 2 sun gods. Redundant… yes. but having 2 guys who are always open and the speed freak Jamo would be constantly dangerous. Johnston is a freak but not a great or natural wr yet.

To me he has by far the highest floor. I struggle to see him failing unless he goes to the wrong spot and is used the wrong way.

That said having two guys like ARSB makes the short area of the field really jumbled. Yeah it will help Jamo but I prefer the inverse, the deep guys clearing out the short areas of the field so the short passing and running game can thrive. If you have too many receivers in short areas it keeps more defenders in close and the running game will suffer.

That’s why I think whatever receiver we add to go along with Jamo and ARSB needs to be able to attack the deep areas of the field, similar to Chark. It’d be great if he was a blazer as well.

5 Likes

Yep, and when you look at the consistently good teams around the league, they keep stocking the cupboard with young talent so if they lose guys, they have guys to promote.

1 Like

Calvin was quite the blazer, matter of fact, still is!

2 Likes

Gotta replace Cephas.

We also met with Jayden reed and Jacory Rankin too

I do like me some Jayden reed and think he could be better with a good QB in Goff over the drizzling shits that MSU put out at qb

1 Like

I will add top the voices here that Holmes HAS to make this move. IF Holmes spends Chark’s free agent $ on say a CB…adding a top WR replaces Chark while CB (or say DT) gets better.