Lions trade for DB Duron Harmon (Patriots)

I shouldn’t had put the smarter part, i’m no better or worse than any other. Sorry on that guy’s, not how I meant it. Was more frustrated with some comments in other places. This place is more down to earth. And definitely wasn’t calling any single person out.

3 Likes

From PoD:

As usual, Harmon was a productive player as a versatile rotational defensive back for the Patriots: forming a solid core at the safety position with McCourty and Chung, he finished the year with a combined 38 tackles as well as four interceptions; tied for the team-lead with All-Pro cornerback Stephon Gilmore . Furthermore, he surrendered only one touchdown into his coverage area and allowed just 7 of 13 passes to be completed for 90 yards. He also recovered a fumble.

And more on how they used him:

Harmon, as has been the case in the past, will once more be used as a deep-field defender in single-high or two-deep coverage schemes by the Patriots; he will also give the club both depth and flexibility at the safety position that will allow Devin McCourty to be moved around the formation to create coverage advantages.

The Lions will assume the final year of Harmon’s four-year $17 million contract, which includes a $3.5 million base salary for 2020 and a roster bonus of $750,000.

Harmon fills an important role for the Lions as Detroit desperately needed a veteran presence considering their youthful secondary. Guys like Tracy Walker and Will Harris will benefit from his guidance, though this trade could spell the end of Tavon Wilson—who is due to become a free agent on Wednesday.

4 Likes

This is your Quandre Diggs replacement.

1 Like

Speaks to their belief that the coverage was an issue and why they ran so much 3 on the line everyone else in coverage last year.

1 Like

Holy shit! What the Lions need now is to answer the Slay question, does he stay or does he go. If they get Okudah in the 1st and a DL rusher in the 2nd then this defense starts to be like, I don’t know, passable?

2 Likes

The ex Patriot thing is annoying and does seem like lazy management but it’s not like they are signing/trading for crappy ex Patriots. Collins, Shelton and Harmon are all good players. If they fail here, that will reflect real poorly on Patricia not Quinn IMO.

1 Like

Patriots have quite a few late round picks: Nos. 195, 204, 212, 213, 230, 235, and 241.

Lions only have (or perhaps had) No. 182 in Rd 6.

According to Overthecap, Patriots only had $3.28 Million in salary cap space. May just be a salary dump by the Patriots to facilitate signing a FA QB.

2 Likes

I get the annoyances of how every other player that comes here seems to be a former Patriot, maybe as high as 3/5s…

It’s annoys a few that the Lions do it and it annoys others to hear that from those few… Me personally, I’m in the middle, don’t care either way. Just win a SB!

1 Like

I keep pronouncing his name in my head:

Dur-AWN Harm-AWN

Landing hard on the last two syllables. It won’t stop. It keeps repeating. Someone. Make. This. Stop!!!

…Dur-ON Harm-ON!!! Dammit!!!..

Nice work
Rather than being lazy, Quinn is skimming productive players in that system
Maybe it’s smart, not lazy?

2 Likes

I’m still hoping

2 Likes

Agree, this is a major upgrade former Patriot or no

…Or, the Patriots are the pinnacle of sports and they run a unique defensive hybrid scheme. They also are very tough on their players mentally and physically, and there are many players in the league that do not perform or react well under said tough coaching.

So IF you were a starter for the Patriots, you probably have several traits. One, you likely have at least one Superbowl Ring as a starter. Two, you’ve been yelled at… maybe even (gasp) sworn at and have been able to operate regardless of that. Three, you know a difficult scheme to learn inside and out. Four, you’ve probably spent at least one season with our HC as your DC. Five, you understand that the team is bigger than you and me first divas need not apply.

I struggle to see the problem with any of this.

5 Likes

That move makes too much sense to make.

I don’t get it. We keep signing backups and paying them like starters.

Can Duron run run,
Can Duron run?

2 Likes

A flip of late round picks what does this mean? Lions send our 2nd round and the patriots send their 7th round? I am betting something almost this bad.

Dur-ON…Harm___ON!

S$#@#!!