Lions tried to trade up with Falcons while they were on the clock in Rd 1

Video starts with a call from the Lions at 2:03 and ends at 2:25

1 Like

Looks like Pitts was their guy and they didn’t want to risk losing him by trading down to #7.

We were really targeting players this year.

Man, glad Atlanta didn’t accept. Holmes saved from himself it seems. Pitt would have been gone to Miami one has to believe.

To trade up from 7 to 4 costs what? More than the second this year right? Maybe the LAR FRP next year or is that too much? Would ATL have turned down #7 and LAR 2022 FRP? So I assume #7 and #41 for #4 was the offer. Detroit grabs Sewell, Cincy goes Chase and then Miami goes Pitt over Waddle? That leaves ATL with ??? I think they’re happy with their guy over not their guy at #7 and what whomever at 41.

1 Like

I think the Dolphins were locked in to Waddle. So in that scenario Pitts drops to 7. Not only do I think the Dolphins were locked in to Waddle, I think they considered Pitts redundant to what they have. They wanted a new type of weapon…particularly one connected to Tua.

2 Likes

Yeah, I think all 7 teams would have had their same guy. By virtue of them stepping over Sewell to get receivers their QBs played with, I’d assume they also would stepped over Pitts.

I don’t know what Atlanta wanted or how high Detroit was willing to pay, but it is good for us that we stayed put.

So the funny thing is, Atlanta did exactly the thing that Quinn was accused of… Holding such a high price on their pick that a trade cannot materialize. What extra pick or picks of Detroit’s did they miss out on?

4 Likes

I feel pretty confident Miami would have done the same thing they did but its still a wild card. The Bengals were locked in on Chase, and even told their QB who told Chase what was about to happen. The only way to keep the Bengals from taking Chase was to take Chase at 4.

I wanted to mention this but left it alone. Its definitely the same thing were pissed at Quinn for.

1 Like

Right. And before we start throwing stones their way, we should remember our own front office admitting there was an offer for 7 close enough that they would likely still have gotten Sewell.

I don’t think Sewell would have been there. I wouldn’t have played that game of chicken. Sometimes you get lucky and just walk away happy. That is what this draft is like for me. I am happy with our picks (knowing full well they will not all work out) but I see value at every pick. I even like some of the UDFA’s we will have in camp.

As much as I like the direction we seem to be going and I am starting to believe we will be better than I thought we would, I can’t see us with more than 7 wins. Hope I am proven wrong. But I thought we would have a top 5 pick next year and am thinking it might be more top 10.

I might need to lay off the Kool aid.

I’m with you. And I can’t really fault Atlanta either. I’m just pointing out that one of the things we’re breaking the noose out for with one guy is the same thing we’re overlooking with others.

And just to be clear, Quinn sucks. LOL.

Hard to see Carolina passing on Sewell with CMC. Fuck the dude might hit 3000 yards if that were to happen. Speaking of, remember the chatter about him falling to us?! That woulda been fun to watch and stafford still here.

I can.

1 Like

LOL Of course. You have no appreciation for Pittsmagic.

It’s not that I endorse the pick, rather I can respect their position. Considering the next 2 picks were receivers it kind of validates their concern.

1 Like

Pitts isn’t a receiver. And Cincy was specifically locked in on Chase.

1 Like

catcher-of-the-ball

Pitts isn’t just a receiver.

Good point. He’s also OT, which put him play for us.

1 Like

I don’t know about you guys, but I like Holmes’s aggressiveness. If you truly believe in a player, and believe that he’s a step up of what you could get with any of your picks, then you move up and take him. I’d take less amounts superior talent over more amounts of mediocre talent every day of the week.

It’s the same philosophy with some of us and trading down. We don’t want to pass up on superior talents to acquire more mediocre talents. That can apply to some (me) in the other direction too.

Probably not a serious inquiry on moving up

I suspect the Lions offered a 3rd round pick this year or a 4th this year and a 2nd next. Something they were willing to part with but was underwhelming to Atlanta. At the end of the day (and with the benefit of hindsight), it would have been a mistake to give up capital to move up to get the guy who fell to us anyway.

Hoping Holmes learned a few lessons this year about restraint and delayed gratification. It was his first official rodeo at the wheel. But he sounded super jacked up. He attempted to trade up in rounds 1 & 2, and did trade up in Round 4.

Sounds like they got their guys regardless of the failure to move. So the lesson is: hold your water and let the draft come to you!

Solid first performance from Holmes BTW.

3 Likes