Lions waiving 7th round TE Isaac Nauta

Report: Lions waiving 7th round TE Isaac Nauta

71SHARES

TWEET

EMAIL

By: Erik Schlitt | 1 hour ago

Dave Birkett@davebirkett

Can confirm @NFL_DovKleiman’s report on Nauta. Lions are waiving both of their 7th-rounders.

2:45 PM - Aug 31, 2019

Twitter Ads info and privacy

See Dave Birkett’s other Tweets

The Detroit Lions are waiving seventh-round tight end Isaac Nauta, first reported by independent reporter Dov Kleiman and confirmed by Dave Birkett of the Free Press.

Nauta was regarded as potential top-100 pick coming out of Georgia, but a disastrous NFL Combine caused his stock to plummet and the Lions put a stop to his slide in the seventh round.

Nauta struggled in Spring camp and in the first week of fall training camp, but after only a few practices the light switch appeared to come on and he began routinely making big plays.

In practice, Nauta looked sharp, but during preseason game action some of his shine wore off. The potential is there. He improved each game — like he did in those early practices — but he was still running at least fourth on the tight end depth chart.

What we don’t know just yet was is he a casualty of a roster numbers game or if it was it performance-based? Either way, if he clears waivers, he will likely be a priority player to add to the Lions practice squad.

Detroit Lions :heavy_check_mark: @Lions

Touchdown for our guy, @isaac_nauta! 👏#DETvsCLE | #OnePride

This comes one day after this:

Stock report: Isaac Nauta up, offensive line depth down for Lions

By Benjamin Raven | [email protected] | Posted August 30, 2019 at 08:20 AM

0 shares

41 Comments

The Detroit Lions end the preseason winless for the first time since 1989 after a Thursday night 20-16 loss on the road to the Cleveland Browns. As cut day looms Saturday afternoon, this post will take a look at who is trending up and who’s not as the door closes on the preseason.

This list is going to feature a lot of names fighting for spots on the 53-man roster and practice squad as the starters were held out of the preseason finale.

Observations: Lions cap first winless preseason since 1989 with loss against Browns

Lions sacked 7 times against Browns, go winless in preseason: Live updates recap

TRENDING UP

AP | Ron Schwane

WR Brandon Powell

Brandon Powell didn’t show up in the box score on offense, but his return ability stood out in a game lacking any big plays. Powell had one punt return for 10 yards and four kick returns for 132 yards.

In the second quarter, Powell returned a kick 67 yards but was caught from behind as he shifted his way through the middle of the field. He added a 32-yard return later on in the quarter that was called back due to an illegal blindside block by Mike Ford.

Powell added another 32-yard return in the fourth quarter also called back for an illegal double team block. The receiver made the Week 1 active roster in 2018 as an undrafted free agent after leading the league with 16 catches and 15.7 yards per punt return through the preseason.

While sixth-round pick Travis Fulgham had three catches for 80 yards in Thursday’s loss to Cleveland, Powell might have moved the needle enough on special teams to make the 53-man roster two years in a row. He is trending up thanks to a couple of explosive plays in a dud of a game.

I have to say, I’m a bit surprised by this move. All we heard was what a steal he was and reports at mini-camps was that he was the best catching TE …and then this.

What the heck did Logan Thomas do to garner a roster spot anyways?

Maybe he can double as backup QB I guess.

Powell and Thompson both got released. I had hopes for Thompson, especially.

What we normally hear is writers’ opinions. The coaches obviously did not see enough, or, they want to stash him on the practice squad.

So who is our RB’s now? KJ, CJ, and TJ?

Yeah but what did Logan Thomas do?

Did Logan actually make the team and why?

Stafford likes him. He foreshadowed it in an interview

And that’s good and all but when does someone say they don’t like a player in an interview?

A reporter was mentioning other TEs, and Stafford specifically said “don’t forget about Logan. He’s done a lot for us, now.”

It’s not like he was asked, “how do you like so-n-so”. He called him up in a positive way.

Is it possible that the reporter was naming all the TE’s and didn’t mention Thomas because he was the forgotten long-shot? I mean, he might have been an after-thought since the reporter was asking about all the “new” guys?..I’m asking, I wasn’t aware of the article.

The best hands in the draft got cut. He got cut because he dropped the ball multiple times. End of discussion.

Wasn’t an article. Was an interview I was referring to. And yes. That is exactly what was going on.

There goes my board meltdown prediction of Nauta having more catches and yards than TJ. Could you imagine if our 7th rounder had more productivity than our top 10 TE?

Hey what do the Lions and a pelagic marine mollusc of the cephalopod family have in common?

They are both Nauta-less

1 Like

I had not heard he was having problems catching passes. Oh well, not every 5-star highschool prospect can become our late-round sleeper gem.

That’s what happens on “good teams,” so if we want to be one we better get used to it. Go look at the Packers draft history for example. There are some late round gems they found that would have never even hit the field if their 1st and 2nd round picks at the same position would have panned out.

It would suck to blow the 8th pick in the draft, but as long as you got the kind of player you thought you were getting (just in a different round), it is what it is. Now, even both of them suck and our 7th rounder just sucks a little less…that’s a problem!

I only saw him drop three but three in limited work is enough. Look, I think they will put him on the prctice squad