Lions want athletic football players, not athletes who play football

Players at Miami and New Orleans reportedly loved DC. Doesn’t hurt that DC hired coaches that also have a track record of being extremely well liked by players. Your concern is unfounded.

1 Like

The thing that has me most excited, after not being thrilled by the choice initially, is something we talked about the other day on another thread: Campbell’s emotional intelligence. It’s absolutely the most important character trait one must have to not only work well with others, but also to understand the people he’s been charged to lead.

That trip to the Ford plant really showed it off, and whether having the Ford employees sign the hat for him was calculated or not, it showed a very advanced grasp of human psychology, not to mention a level of respect rarely shown towards the ‘little people’ (us, lol). I’m truly excited by it.

Good man, and good leader. How will it translate to football? Dudes will be max effort and inspired. Have seen it time and time, and time again.
We WILL win the fist fight portion of the games often, if not this year, then soon.

Hoping he can get help w/strategy, and have said that a lot of times.
If you think energy doesn’t matter, I find that to be an interesting take. He’s already supported by his staff and many who know him. There has been a lot of talk about that already. He’s already inspired people. To miss that is to choose to miss it.

OF COURSE it’s wishful thinking. C’mon, man. LOL. You are having 2 separate conversations and assuming they are one in the same.

100% of humans project how they feel into the world. Wanna know how someone feels about life and themselves? Watch how they act toward people, things, and situations.

Judging is a way of being. Those who judge, judge themselves twice as hard - ALWAYS. When we piss in someone else’s cheerios, we’re really pissing in our own. If more people could see that, we’d have less Cheerio pisser-inners.

Optimistic people are optimistic.
Happy people are happy.
Pissers of cereal piss in cereal.

Living with passion means living out loud as yourself. I’m not going to “temper my enthusiasm,” and half-ass my life to make others feel comfortable. I’m living full out and having fun. You can never truly fully live without risking disappointment. We are supposed to get disappointed, feel pain, sadness, anxiety, etc, as that’s how we grow.

I’m not gonna pretend I don’t care, or that they suck, so others identity doesn’t get challenged. I’m going to be me, and in doing so, it WILL challenge some people’s identity…guaranteed.

It’s important to love people enough to not care what they think - all people.
…Especially yourself.

This isn’t even necessarily directed toward you, though your post is a prime example of seeing what you want to see (not a slam…ALL people do it). We reside in our comfort zone and speak to a “truth” that makes us comfortable.

We all use the world to support the stories we already believe to be true.

2 people go to a party that has 100s of people at it. A fight breaks out. One guy says, “See…peopel are assholes.”
The other guy says, “Wow, hundreds of people, many drinking, and only one fight? People are amazing, and hope those who fought get it figured out, as one or both of them is obviously having a bad day.”

By my blueprint of the world, “realist” does not = pessimist.

I’m not even saying that you believe that, btw. I can see where this convo could head that direction and am putting out some thought provoking (or boring) ideas about the topic.

Dan IS a leader of people. He already inspires people. Can he coach? Dunno? Does he have the right assistants to make up for his blind spots? Dunno.

Do I think he does…Hell yeah, bro!

Go lions!

3 Likes

Dang 'Natty, you’re pretty good at the motivational speeches yourself!

1 Like

I was thinking the same thing until I remembered how different the Dolphins looked once Campbell took over. It was a small sample size but Campbell had that team ready to play every Sunday. Win or lose. That gives me hope.

2 Likes

Recieved, my brother. Thank you

Dude. You’re just going to ignore everything else I said. Well, ok, I looked up the history (bcuz I’m chill like that).

What I found is that when Parcels shows up big turnarounds happen. Belichick was his understudy and a good DC until he went to a decent Pats team and stumbled upon Tom Terrific. A dynasty ensued but Belichick literally never turned around a team, and Parcels turned garbage into SB contenders 3 times whether Belichick was on the team or not.

Summary Evidence: Parcels came to a Giants team that Belichick was already on but the turnaround didn’t start til he arrived. Parcels went on to turn around a terrible Patriots team while Belichick was bombing on his own in Cleveland (and was fired). Parcels picks Belichick back up and the Pats finish the march to the SB the same year (but lose). If you’re keep score, that’s 2 dramatic turnarounds where Parcels is transforming teams and Belichick is not. He’s the understudy and a good DC. Parcels brings Belichick with him to the Jets and this is the only team they worked on together from beginning to end but Jets don’t make it to SB (they are AFC champs tho). Parcels retires (again). Belichick then went on to take over a Pats team that was averaging 9 wins a season before he got there and he and Tom Brady made a dynasty.

Detailed Chronology
-Belichick was an assistant coach for the Giants for 2 years (79-81, they finished 6-10 & 4-12) before Parcels was hired as DC. Parcels is made HC in '83, he promotes Belichick to DC in 1985, they outscore the Broncos 39-20 in '86 to win the SB. They win another in '90 and Parcels retires.

-Belichick is hired to run the Browns in '91. From '91 to '95. They average 7.2 wins a season before Belichick is fired.

-Parcels comes out of retirement in '93 to HC a Patriots team that had gone 9-39 the previous 3 seasons. 2 years later ('95) they’re 10-6. In '96 Parcels hires the fired Belichick as DC and they continue the turnaround Parcels started 2 years earlier and make it to the SB but lose in '96.

-Then bizarre shit happens between Parcels and ownership and he bolts to be HC/GM of the Jets and brings Belichick with him. Just as he had done with the Giants & Pats a fast turnaround happens with the Jets and they’re AFC champs when Parcels retires again.

-Belichick moves on to Pats. He and Tom Brady start a fantastic dynasty. Win 6 superbowls and average over 11 wins a season until Brady moves on to TB (who then win the SB) and Pats finish with worst record since Belichicks 1st year there where they went 5-11 (he inherited a team that was 8-8).

-Parcels comes out of retirement again to take over a cowboys team that had gone 15-33 the previous 3 seasons. They make it to the playoffs twice but don’t win in the next 4 seasons. He retires again, for good.

Conclusion: Parcel’s “genius” for the incredible turnaround is something Belichick just doesn’t have and now that Belichick also doesn’t have Brady (who keeps winning rings) it’s unclear if he can even turnaround a team with a 20-year win record. Thems the facts as I see 'em. The prosecution rests.

1 Like

Wow… where do we start?

Belichick was the DC for 10 years under Parcells, and those teams won 10+ games in 7 years.
The 1987 season was limited to 15 games, with replacement players playing 3 games, and starting QB Phil Simms only playing 9 games.

Parcells’ record as HC was 105-54 in those 10 years with Belichick as DC… and 99-45 if the 1987 strike season is not counted.

Without Belichick as his DC… Parcells went 67-76-1 as a head coach in 9 years.
Parcells won 10+ games only 2 times without Belichick as DC (1994, 2003)… and they were both when playing against a 4th place schedule.

Playoffs?!?! Lets talk about Playoffs!!!

With Belichick as the DC… Parcells went 10-4 in playoffs… went to 3 Super Bowls…and won 2 of them.

Without Belichick as DC… Parcells was 1-4 in playoffs… and went 1-1 when Belichick was “only” the LBs coach with Giants. Parcells NEVER won a playoff game without Belichick on his staff!

Now… as for Belichick as a HC.

Although you gave the average wins for Belichick in Cleveland… that kind of leaves out a big part of the story. The Browns won 3 games in 1990 before Belichick arrived.
Under Belichick… they improved to 6 wins in '91, 7 in '92 and 93, and then 11 wins in '94.
He had directed a turnaround in Cleveland.
In 1995… the Browns were 4-5 thru 9 games… and then Art Modell announced the team would move to Baltimore! The fans turned on the team, and the players were distracted as the circus atmosphere surrounded the team. They lost 6 of the last 7 games after that happened.
Belichick was fired a year after winning 11 games… and after Modell torpedoed the team.

In New England… Belichick didn’t just win Super Bowls because Brady was an instant star.
From 2001-2004… the Pats won 3 Super Bowls and played 9 playoff games.
The offense score 25 points or more only 2 times in 9 games.
The defense allowed less than 20 points 6 times out of 9 games.

In 2008… Brady threw 11 passes before his ACL was shredded.
Matt Effing Cassel led the Patriots to an 11-5 record.
Cassel left Patriots after 2008 and compiled a 26-40 record for rest of his career.

And then there is the 2020 season.
Brady won the Super Bowl… after his arrival allowed the Bucs to keep Suh and JPP… plus add Gronk, AB, and Fournette. Brady deserves to get a lot of credit for that to be sure. However… considering the Bucs GM Licht also added several VERY good players in drafts and free agency in last few years… to characterize his move to the Bucs as the “only” change for the Bucs or the Pats is nucking futs. Brady is the GOAT… but he also shouldn’t get all the credit in Tampa.
The Bucs were built as a team over several years… and Brady helped bring it all together.

In New England… they had no way to replace Brady with a great option at QB via draft or free agency… so judging Belichick for 1 year without Brady is ridiculous. The Patriots had $31 million in dead money against the cap in 2020… much of it from Tom Brady himself! :eyes: That’s right… even though Brady left in UFA… he still had a $13.5 million dead cap number for the Pats in 2020.

And… Belichick knew he could turn things around right away… so he left $19.5 million in cap space to carry over from 2020 into 2021… so he could reload for the next few years.

Time will tell how well the Patriots recover after the loss of Brady.
However… consider this scenario when thinking about Brady having success away from New England.
If Andy Reid retired tomorrow… and Belichick jumped to the Chiefs with Mahomes… and they win 5 more Super Bowls… does Belichick get all the credit??? That is absurd… but also not much more absurd than to judge the career Belichick has had based only on the 2020 season.

1 Like

Damn, its almost like you skipped the part where Belichick’s Browns and Parcells Patriots met in the playoffs, and Belichick’s Browns won. Naw, you wouldn’t skip that part.

That’s kind of important to the story because in 7 years without Belichick…Bill Parcells has never won a playoff game.

Thanks man. We’ve proven that we can both nerd out about football and I think your point about Parcels not winning a single playoff game w/o Belichick is a good one. I believe they are BOTH great cranky old coaches.

Parcels’ genius is that he turns around teams to a miraculous degree because he has an eye for talent and seeing the big picture whether acquiring players or coaches. That’s why Belichick followed Parcels from the Giants to the Pats and the Jets - and learned from him. I know it, I think you know it, and I know Belichick knows it.

“Out of all the strengths that Bill [Parcels] has, his ability to take an organization that’s really pretty bad and turn it around is the one that stands out to me,” Belichick said today.I don’t think anybody does it better and I’ve learned a lot being around him whether on his staff or watching him do it with other teams.”

That Parcels didn’t win the big stuff w/o Belichick calling the D is a fine data point, but that Parcels is a mastermind who taught a slew of winning coaches, including Belichick, isn’t even disputed by Belichick so I think we can admit his genius too.

1 Like

Parcells was smart enough to know he needed Belichick. We both agree. Sounds like the discussion is over.

Did Parcels pee in your coffee dude? They’re both great coaches, but you’re acting like it hurts your face to admit that about him. I got no personal stake, so I enjoyed the learning that came from this discussion, myself. Deuces.

You just said what I said. So did he pee in your coffee? We agree. Parcells needed Belichick and was smart enough to know it.

And Belichick was smart enough to apprentice under Parcels and concede his mastery of the turnaround. But you do not.

You guys should have a cup of coffee. :coffee::coffee:

1 Like

Hahaha! agreed. Moving on… Thanks Rick.

Be careful, that is frowned upon here. :shushing_face:

1 Like

We did and we are in full agreement. Parcells is a genius for knowing he needed Belichick to win.

Dog Reaction GIF by MOODMAN