Lions were only team that saw him as a RB. Now Sione Vaki out to prove them right

I could actually see a combo of Pearsall and Jennings giving them 80+% of what Aiyuk does. Enough for them to get to a Super Bowl? I don’t know. But their schedule is pretty favorable, so they should at least have a good record.

1 Like

Vs SF in NFC title game
-Easy, easy pick dropped by Sutton in first QTR
-Sutton blew contain on a sweep and gave up an extra 7 yards
-Big holes on open pass plays that made for some easy passes to guys that should not have been open
-Sutton getting slaughtered on a simple predictable route down the middle of the field to open the 2nd half…followed by an inexcusable missed tackle on the very next play
-Reynolds decided to turn into Az Hakim in that game…dropping several big ones, a couple were drive killers that likely cost us at least one score…but when your bread’n’butter plays succeed, it keeps the other offense on the bench with sustained drives. Reynolds helped Purdy a lot…probably the biggest factor, because it was consistent and drive-killers.
-Vildor literally gave them a TD
-My boy Gibby fumbling was a freak occurance…OUCH
-…that first BIG scramble by Purdy could happen to any team -just a great play by him…as well as a couple of others…just good elusiveness
-Chase Lucas ruining Fox’s nuclear punt sure helped SF…
-Iffy had a missed sack that was almost Barnes level (v Dallas), that turned into a big first down late in the game
-Went for it on a 4th & 5 because of not trusting to put the K out there for what should be makable
-Some of Purdy’s elusiveness was poor tackling lanes and too much space, even thought the pocket collapsed…that will be tightened up a lot

This year…
He will be more forced to succeed, because we will be even better vs the run
-Jamo was very good, even in clutch…buuut…he did have a TD pass that should have been caught. This will be a huge upgrade from last time they faced us
-ST upgraded & DBs massively upgraded.
-More press coverage, and playbook will be dialed back. They’re gonna have to be white hot on point with their blitz beaters next year.
-Our Defense will be much less predictable next year
Gibby’s expanded role in the passing game will be a difference making factor as well

…I think there is a strong likelihood that we face them in the NFC Title game again next year…in Detroit!

SF has a favorable schedule, for sure. We are a better team. Let’s see how this thing shakes down!

2 Likes

Would that really cut it?

80% of his production would be:

60 catches
1,083 yards
5/6 TDs

Kittle helps but if that scenario unfolds they better get 2021 Samuel (is that guy even still in there) or they’re in some trouble offensively.

Now with Kyle pulling the strings “in trouble” probably means the number 12 offense or whatever, but I do think their margin of safety becomes rather finite sans Ayiuk.

1 Like

I do think we might find it easier to run on them this year, which, given how easily we ran it against them in the NFCCG could spell their doom. That one matchup really tilts things in our favor. Of course they’ll know that and will try and stack the box to stop us, but that was true in the NFCCG as well, so it might not work. Even when you know it’s coming, with us, you still can’t stop it most of the time.

Though them having Hufanga back will help, he’s great against the run. They really missed him defensively.

Again, to me, the one area where they might have an advantage is QB mobility. We can’t afford to pin our ears back really, not of it’s gonna leave the gaps Purdy exploited last year. Or we have to rush smarter. I wouldn’t even be averse to putting a spy on him, it’s not like he’s a threat to take off running for 30 yards, he’s just really slippery in the pocket.

1 Like

Without an improvement from the defense, probably not. But they made it to the Super Bowl with worse WRs and QB play back in 2019-2020, and again I think their schedule’s favorable enough that going into the playoffs as the #1 seed is definitely possible, and from there they could fall into the SB. Honestly kinda like they did this past season.

I do think he’ll be a good RB. He’s got the size, and strength to be a tough runner. 20 bench reps is good. The speed isn’t there, but he’s got good athleticism. Hoping he’ll be that special team ace though.

No hating but I don’t see the Ekeler comp slightly.

I’d almost bet he has more NFL tackles than receptions when it’s all said and done.

The pressure will be coming more from the middle and there will be more chaos. He had some luck with receivers getting ridiculously open, as well as a couple of floaters across field that were dangerous AF. I think the combination of better rush with better DBs…as well as the likelihood that game is played in Detroit…

I like our chances a lot.

You’re right! First player in nfl history to have 700 tackles and 600 receptions in his career. :laughing:

man prevails GIF

1 Like

Wasn’t a comp. I said Eckeler level good. What I meant is I think he can both be one of the league’s better pass catching backs and still be able to do the dirty work in the run game. He’ll never see Eckeler level volume of course. The point being Vali’s upside is extreme. If you don’t see it, that’s fine. Brad, Ben and Dan clearly do.

You should see if you can get a prop bet on your more tackles theory. Odds would be insane. Doubt anyone would offer lines on something that obscure and that long of duration of course.

Did you watch any of him on offense at Utah btw? He really was quite amazing when you consider that he hadn’t played offense in nearly four years and hit the ground running.

I was impressed with how he played as a backup shoved into duty against sieve defenses in the PAC10 (especially USC) but I just don’t see the athlete who’ll translate to a pass catching NFL running back… Samaje Perine is my ceiling for him and a more apt comp me thinks:))…

The prop bet would be excellent – I know they have wonky lines on crazy props in the Europe. I remember reading somewhere how Rory’s dad bet on him to win a major when Rory was in elementary school…

Perine? Really? Huh. We’re definitely pretty far off here bc I don’t see any similarities outside of Perine having solid hands in check down scenarios. But Vaki has leaps and bounds more potential as a receiver and while Perine was a thumper at OU, Vaki is more of a slasher. He runs more like another DB convert in Robert Edwards IMO. Or in contemporary terms more like a Melvin Gordon type.

I think you are discounting how much of a train wreck Utah’s offense was without Rising and Kuithe. That should counterbalance some of your PAC 12 concerns. Also the conference was actually fairly solid last year. Perhaps not especially defensive focused but it was significantly better than prior iterations. For example, Cal allowed 3.8 YPC last year. Vaki had 10.5 YPC against them in his first game on offense full time in four freaking years. To me that screams high level of difficulty.

As for the athleticism concerns, the guy hit 21.5MPH. In between the lines his athleticism will hold up just fine and dandy.

We’re all guessing at this point. As stated I’ve been a big fan since the fall. I’m a Vaki-stan so I’m likely too high on him. I’m pretty confident however that you’ll be adjusting your opinion of him upward within the next year or two. :beers:

2 Likes

If I’m going for a comp in total for Vaki it would probably be a more explosive better playmaking Rex Burkhead.

It’s mostly the receiving game where I think Vaki’s potential is through the roof.

1 Like
1 Like

yeah, it would be a lot for a rookie to be learning all three phases of the modern NFL at the same time

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.