Lions wide receiver Room ranked dead last by wide margins

With the 2021 NFL draft a few weeks away, Matt Harmon analyzes which teams will be looking to select a wide receiver when they’re on the clock.

1 Like

I agree that Holmes will more likely draft 2-3 WRs down the draft a bit instead of with #7.

All those 1 year guys are there to be vets in the room so that whoever is drafted can grow into the position.

2 Likes

As it should be. This is the least talented receiver group we’ve had since Hakim and Schroeder were our starters

4 Likes

181 Rec, 2,988 yds, 20 TD’s LINK
192 Rec, 3,024 yds, 21 TD’s LINK

The stats above are from Kenny Golladay (2017-2020) and Tyrell Williams (2016-2019).
*T.Williams missed 2020 with injury

Which one is which? Try to guess before you click the link. Almost identical stats on paper. How much are we really losing in the Golladay/Williams swap?

Perriman and Cephus will make up the production of Marvin Jones. And we have a ton of speed in that locker-room, ready to stretch the field and open up the underneath for Hockenson and Swift.

3 Likes

I tend to agree that the WRs aren’t as bad as the article suggests. I like (on paper) who Holmes has gotten for cheap. No longterm obligation but some good competition to let the new coaching staff have some options.

1 Like

Damn, I really need to start paying attention to teams outside the NFC North. Embarrassingly, I had no idea T. Williams put up half of those numbers.

I have been VERY bullish on Tyrell Williams since we signed him. Great catch rate too. I am not thinking he is going to be amazing as I am concerned about his injuries and his recent lack of production. But if he is healthy he can play. He is a good player and that is why the Raiders overpaid to get him.

I am drafting a WR high though. 1st or 2nd round as you need 5/6 solid WRs now, just like CBs.

I can see and I understand and even agree with our WRs being bad on paper. That is why I want at least one top rookie in here and we will likely see 2 WRs drafted. Add that to this group and I think the group will be better on the field than on paper.

3 Likes

Oh please don’t remind me of gator arms Scheroder, I broke at least a few TV’s back in the day because of him.

2 Likes

That matters. Even if they don’t catch everything, you have to honor that speed (see Hall). one catch for 50 yards in 2/3 of games, or so. If you mess up, it costs you points.

1 Like

Our WR room sucks and should be rated dead last because we are that bad.

Williams is coming off a serious injury that players tend to struggle to return from. We can cross our fingers and hope he works out but odds are he may never return to form.

Perriman isn’t that good. He’s very inconsistent and can’t stay on a team to save his ass. There’s a reason he’s been bouncing around. He’s a decent speed guy and that’s about it.

We desperately need at least one solid WR from the draft. Maybe two… I think we have to go WR in either round one or round two this draft.

9 Likes

Add Chase to that room and it’s all of a sudden a helluva lot better. We’re taking a WR in the first round folks. 4QB’s, Sewell and the TE go top 6.

3 Likes

W e can an likely will take one in first 3 rounds . Depending on how draft goes we could get two.

There are teams that have like 8 or 9 WRs an some are at least average an they will be released .
I will admit i didn’t know much about the two we signed but they are not dead beats more like #4 an 5’s on teams that never got a lot of playing time.
They will earn playing time with Lions an they know they have a chance of a lot more playing time.
WR Kalif Raymond 5’9" 160 pounds a return guy /Slot WR
WR Damion Ratley 6’2" 200 pounds
Both are fast
The article likely never even looked at what we had just what we didn’t
I honestly hope they play Cephus in slot he gets open not the fastest guy but big an sure handed an finds open space watch him from last year an only reason he didn’t get more catches is Matt looked at Jones an Hock first.

1 Like

That’s true as long as you call Calvin Johnson an entire group. Because we’ve definitely had years where the cupboard was bare beyond him.

2 Likes

Shroeder-inger’s WR. Paradoxically he could at the same time be open and yet not be open whatsoever.

2 Likes

Back in those days (before game rewind on demand) I used to record every Lions game on DVD so I could rewatch and analyze them (dorky, I know). Iremember spending a bunch of time going thru every single game and putting together a dropped ball highlight reel. I remember being amazed at easily Az Hakim could get separation on a route, yet not catch the damn football. There was one slant that stood out to me, where it seemed like he shook the CB so bad he had damn near 3 yards of separation. It was crazy. And then he dropped the ball!

1 Like

Yeah, it’s even more true of Az but didn’t fit the play on words. I remember Schroeder also getting plenty of desperation and having the drops as well. Although he was much more linear of course. Az with decent hands really would’ve been a treat to watch.

That is a lot of cornbread, yo.

bread cornbread GIF by Gifs Lab

1 Like

Here is an exercise to separate the cornbread from the shit sandwiches

Give me YOUR combined games played by Williams and Perriman out of 34 for next year.

Here, I’ll start.

23, which I consider a bit fresh out of the oven ready for butter

2 Likes

… why is golladays 2020 season being used when he was out for most of it

3 Likes

Is it really though?

Production per calendar year (regardless of injury or games played). Total production /years played = career average

Marvin Jones career averages (9 years) - 47 receptions, 670 yards

Breshad Perriman (6 years) - 21 rec, 344 yards
Quintez Cephus (1 year) = 20 rec, 349 yards

47, 670 (Jones)
41, 693 (Perriman & Cephus)

I didn’t include averages per game but rather (per season) because you allude to Perriman not playing a full season in your other post above. So I thought it would be better to look at the averages this way…Production vs Calendar NFL season including missed games. This is what they produce whether they’re on the field or not.

I don’t think it’s “a lot of cornbread”,

…far from it yo.