Lions will coach the senior bowl

I think that this will be bigger in the udfa pool, will be amazed if they can replicate some of the impact they have had from year one in the udfa pool for 2022.

1 Like

The following QB’s are on the Senior Bowl roster:

Quarterbacks

Sam Howell, North Carolina

Malik Willis, Liberty

Desmond Ridder, Cincinnati

Kenny Pickett, Pittsburgh

Carson Strong, Nevada

Bailey Zappe, Western Kentucky

4 Likes

Between Holmes loving the Senior Bowl, and basically all the QBs other than Corral competing, and the Lions coaching… at least it gives me some level of confidence with the QB situation. At least if they pass on drafting any of these guys I can say to myself “well they had the best possible look and passed, guess they weren’t what they wanted.” Or if they get aggressive and go draft a guy, I can say “well Goff played better as the year went on but obviously they see something worth pursuing.” I’m good with whatever they do knowing they got the best possible chance to scout.

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s the who’s who of QB on every The Den armchair GM’s list. If they don’t pop for any of them, it’s either a vote of confidence in Goff or a lack of confidence in them, or a combination of both.

1 Like

Anybody else read the changes to the way the staff can coach the Senior Bowl this year. The Head coach and coordinators will not be as hands on coaching the players. They will have to appoint assistant coaches in that role so they can get that opportunity to be put in a situation they are not normally in. The HC and coordinators will be in more of an advisory role.

“For the first time in the game’s rich history, head coaches will serve in more an advisory capacity while promoting select assistants into leadership roles on the staff (e.g. running backs coach to head coach, secondary coach to defensive coordinator, etc.). This new change will offer position coaches and coordinators developmental opportunities in a setting that showcases their skills in front of peers from all 32 clubs.”

I could be off on the coordinator part, but how can you have a secondary coach be a DC if the DC is still the DC? How do you think Dan would set this up if he has to appoint new coordinators and a HC for this event? My guess is

HC Duce Staley
DC Aubrey Pleasant
OC Ben Johnson

6 Likes

I’m looking forward to seeing what Holmes does. Going back to the draft last year he had his eye on st brown as early as the second round. He was talking to shiela about it when she asked about drafting a receiver. Yet he got him in the 4th. That’s a great eye and patience.

Those kids are going to have stories for years after a week of MCDC and his crew coaching them up.

2 Likes

Perhaps a couple even after the draft. I don’t think all Senior Bowl players get drafted. And they undoubtedly will have college teammates who are UDFA. Might could have some influence with them too.

I sometimes ironically riff, “To know me is to love me”, but that’s damn near the truth with Dan.

1 Like

I am glad to hear we are coaching the Senior bowl. I feel it gives our staff a lot more information on players that they may have missed on.

Every time the Lions have coached the senior bowl we always seem to find a late round gem who participated.

1 Like

Season 3 Premiere GIF by MTV Floribama Shore

2 Likes

I minored in Hypertension and bulging veins.

1 Like

What if the HC IS the OC?

The nice thing about that roster of QBs is they all know we could have interest in one. And our cub boards are so bare that most anyone there has to think we would be interested.

Dan won’t be coaching the team. As part of the new twist for the Senior Bowl, position coaches on staff will be selected to serve as Head Coach and coordinators to showcase their skills and development. The Head Coach will serve only in an advisory capacity.

Kind of weird, but that’s what they’ll be doing. Which is probably why you won’t see Ben Johnson getting promoted to OC until after the game, if that’s indeed in the works.

Dad gummit, you stole my thunder :cloud_with_lightning_and_rain: :laughing: :rofl: :joy:

1 Like

Do the punters know how much they’ll be throwing the ball?

4 Likes

I would have liked the attitude to have been, “There is no more difficult position at which to get excellence than QB. We have Stafford, but he’s had back injuries the past two seasons, and he’s an old 32. We’re never drafting this high again, so let’s take this kid Herbert – he looks like the real deal. It will light a fire under Stafford’s ass that he hasn’t had here, ever. Perhaps 9 is getting a little too comfortable with last-place finishes and $27 million plus a year. Maybe Herbert rises quickly and beats Stafford out eventually. Or, he can get the Aaron Rodgers treatment and sit for a couple of years.”

Of course, the context was Sheila’s “you need to compete for the playoffs next season” mandate. Which meant Quinntricia were drafting for their livelihoods; not the team’s future best interest.

Just an organizational shit-sandwich from top to bottom.

But hey, we got Okudah! Highest-drafted CB in 25 years!

1 Like