Lions will take Kyle Pits because Dan is a tight end?

Is it possible if Kyle slides to Lions ?

I would guess that Hockenson is much more the type Dan wants over a non blocking Pitts.

1 Like

Especially since he explicitly said “if you can’t block, you can’t play for me”. He was talking about RB at the time but still. I’d assume that sentiment extends to TE as well.

1 Like

The lowest PFF pass-blocking grade of his three seasons at Florida was a still respectable 69.6 overall, and he allowed a total of just seven pressures across 105 pass-blocking snaps. His work as a run-blocker was a little more hit and miss, but he enters the NFL off the back of his best season in that regard, and his tape shows a player who is willing and also capable of some high-level blocks. There is nothing there that makes you think he is simply not able to hold his own in that area of the game. He is certainly the equal of most tight ends entering the league in 2021.

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2021-nfl-draft-florida-kyle-pitts-is-the-best-receiving-prospect-in-the-draft#:~:text=His%20work%20as%20a%20run,of%20some%20high-level%20blocks.

I very much doubt that Campbell being a TE will have anything to do with who they draft at #7 or anywhere else. I do think having 2 good TEs that can both block and catch the ball downfield would be a major plus. They’ll have to weigh that against the outside WRs that are on the board when their turn comes up, AND the trade down offers they get, if any.

Pitts may not be there at #7 anyway. .

1 Like

If our new HC let’s his past position dictate who he takes then he is the wrong guy for the job.

I expect him and Holmes to draft the BPA at a position of need.

Personally I think TE is the one group we’re fairly set at.

2 Likes

Campbell has said that he believes you have 1 breadwinner as the #1 TE, and then all of your backups have to be able to play special teams to justify their roster spot. Hock has solidified himself as the breadwinner, so any backup has to be able to play special teams.

If the Lions take Pitts…it makes Campbell a liar and a fraud and I’m over him.

1 Like

Yup - he was talking a lot about dudes having specific skillsets in a different convo, and how to use dudes for exactly what they are good at. Hoch is the full package. Other dudes will most likely be varying degrees of role players.

Agree

I’d definitely not give up on him for it, though I’d be disappointed. Look how long it took me to give up on Patrica…OUCH!!!

1 Like

Me too bro… I hoped and it was in vain with MP… but the past is past!

1 Like

There is nothing about this draft that will make me “give up” aside from drafting Pitts in the top 10. I try not to even equate coaches with draft picks so directly…but this one would put an albatross around his neck from the second it was made. It means he either wanted him…or he couldn’t even talk Holmes out of picking a guy at his own former position and the position he coached. Thats weak sauce and I would look forward to the next regime.

2 Likes

Using 2 top ten draft picks on a position that is way down the list on where you should use first round picks on would be asinine.

I can already see the “ Fire Holmes & Campbell “ post now.

1 Like

LOL - I’m always the last in line on that wagon train (embarrassing up to now)

Watch how good this kid is going to be. We will rue the day we passed on him, Best skill player in this draft class in my opinion. He will likely be picked 4, 5, or 6. He will likely line up in-line probably 35% of snaps. He’s Darren Waller’s more skilled little bro. And Waller is on the precipice of becoming a top 10 pass catcher in the entire NFL. I will be pissed if they don’t at least get assets in a trade down for him if he’s there at 7.

1 Like

Drafting BPA at a position of need is drafting for need, not drafting for BPA

1 Like

We won’t pass on him cus he won’t be available.

Pitts is is a generational pass catcher. These guys hating on him just cus his position is tight end haven’t done their own research or watched the guy play.

1 Like

Lol he ain’t drafting a TE just cus he played TE. If Pitts is available at 7(which is unlikely), he will likely be the BPA.

Pitts is a top five player in many/most pre draft rankings. He’s not your typical tight end.

Also, Pitts is a pass catcher. Lions need pass catchers.

Teams that draft BPA don’t take players at positions they are completely set at.

The Lions won 5 games. There’s not too many positions we will have crossed off our board but I guarantee you there’s some.

I’ll bet you that LS, P, QB, and C are and TE should be too.

I think people fail to understand what BPA really means. Here’s a good article on it.

Uh… not gonna read a bears forum.

You can have a different definition from me.

My definition is exactly what is explicitly stated. Best player available is whoever is at the top of your board and you take him regardless of position, hence not drafting for need.

That’s not how it works … sorry.

That link is from SB Nations bears page. It’s a good article you should read it.

BPA means BPA on your board yes but they take guys off their board that don’t fit team needs.

Do you really think the Lions have a Center high on their board? or a Punter on their board at all?

1 Like