Looking at a few numbers from ESPN

Our Pass-Rush-Win-Rate as a defense is 2nd lowest in the NFL.

Charles Harris does have the 10th best PRWR among Edge Rushers.

The Steelers, who we just ran over, has the 2nd and 3rd ranked Edge Run Stop Win Rate defenders.

None of our OT’s or OG’s appear on the top 10 list of Pass Block Win Rate, but both of our C’s have.

There’s really not a lot here to hang our hat on. The trenches remain a work in progress.

1 Like

Which is a bit discouraging but with all the injuries and backup players stepping-in, how can you really be too critical?!?

ESPN Analytics created revolutionary new metricsstrong text

Was it monday night or Sunday night the talking heads said analytics says you punt an the next play they ran an RB went 40 plus yards for a TD an hosts said well there goes the analytics.

I think they are just one tool teams can look at to say not much to hang hat on based on one tool is not fair to players or to analytics. Does it not still boil down to W’s an L’s an that i can agree on we have not done well . But even that tool doesn’t show a record FG kick that caused us a L.

That goes for all teams doesn’t show a tipped pass returned or weather conditions or officials missing calls or making up calls.

So many factors .

1 Like

I agree here. Its a good stat to have on hand, but it needs context to be meaningful in terms of evaluating players. Unless they can get with the coaches after the game and understand the assignment, the “win rate” for a defensive lineman is going to vary by scheme and role in the defense. Some guys are truly free to try to beat their man however they can. While others are just playing a role. Whether it be just to contain the QB or rush him in a very specific way to flush the QB in a certain direction. On one play it might look like Clowney “beat his man” but all he did was let the QB step up in the pocket, which is a strong suit for that QB. But against the same QB a guy like Mack might look like he lost his matchup, but what he was tasked to do was keep the QB from stepping up and flush him left.

"Our pass rush win rate metric tells us how often a pass-rusher is able to beat his block within 2.5 seconds. Likewise, our pass block win rate metric conveys the rate linemen can sustain their blocks for 2.5 seconds or longer.

In run stop win rate, a defender can earn a win by doing any of the following: beating his blocker so he’s in better position to stop the runner; disrupting the pocket or running lane by pushing his blocker backwards; containing the runner such that he must adjust his running lane; or recording a tackle within three yards of the line of scrimmage. If a defender earns a run stop win, his blocker earns a loss, and vice versa."

1 Like

This reminds me of the count to 3 conversation. :rofl:

(…checks KC stats for win rates…)

They really do. It’s a tad disappointing.

You ever notice that the teams with the best blocking overcome injuries with success.

What I am saying is that well coach teams tend to be fundamentally solid and even a back-up player on those teams often outperforms our starters.

Uh-oh.
Scared Back It Up GIF by Sinking Ship Entertainment

Yes but those are teams that have backups playing behind starting level nfl player. Not practice squad player backing up player that should be backups.