Love/Hate: What ya saying Jamaal?

I get that and that’s part of his identity, but there’s also the emotional speech on Hard Knocks and the emotional interview after we knocked the Packers out of the playoffs. That type of emotion is infectious.

7 Likes

I hear you but watch Jamaal’s TD runs, and I think you’ll see why it won’t be that hard.

• 13 out of 17 were from 5 yards or less,
  • on a whopping 9 of those he wasn’t touched until AFTER he got to the goal line.
  • The OL got at least 9 of JWills TDs, literally.

Now, I think we’ll have fewer Goal-to-go situations going forward, but our conversion rate won’t suffer.

No one has ever approached Barry’s records because we have never had an OL like this in my life. Not even when Barry was here.

Behind THIS OL, I seriously think Barry could have scored 30 TDs in a season.

6 Likes

If we kept Jamaal you have to believe his production would have gone down in 2023 & 2024. Swift is a FA after 2023 and not likely to be on the team which would have forced us to draft/sign a feature back in 2023.

Instead of being forced into something, they made the decision to jump now. Montgomery is our RB #1 for at least the next 2 years.

3 Likes

You snooze, you lose.
Love ya, Jamaal. Hope you do well.

The good: The Packers post-game.
The bad, that I can never forget: Fumble on the goal line that completely drained our momentum in the Dallas game, ensuring our loss. Ya, he almost never fumbles but picked a really bad time to have one.

Sounds like he needs a new agent. His agent wanted to shop the market for more money and ended up signing for less.

1 Like

I’m not sure why people are so quick to believe an unsubstantiated report that the Lions offered him similar money to Monty when Swaggy is saying they didn’t.

The story about his agent playing brinkmanship and then lying to Jamaal seems unlikely.

The Lions haven’t said anything. The reports are split, with no named sources saying anything specific. Why wouldn’t you believe Williams?

2 Likes

Did he say they didnt offer the same or close to monty or even what he got from NO? All i saw him say was it was disrespectful… how low is disrespectful for a 28 year old running back that signed for 4 million per year? 3 million? If we offered him the minimum it is 1-1.2M, so how much did we offer that is quote “disrespectful”… i have to imagine it was at least between 3M and the 6M we gave Montgomery, would find it hard to believe it was between the 1-1.2M of vet min and 3M range.

Honestly when we see what he signed for i really am unsure how the lions offer could have been disrespectful unless it was just a throwaway offer that wasnt done in good faith, which i dont think brad or dan would have even made an actual offer at that point based on the way he seems to carry himself.

1 Like

People didnt like me for suggesting he would feel this way…

Who’s this Jamaal?

1 Like

Love Jamaal but let’s be real, he’s great at getting a yard or two and he’s a great blocker but he’s nothing special as a runner other than he runs hard. Great kid, great attitude, great heart but the Lions knew he only had all those TD’s because our WR’s kept getting tackled inside the 5 yard line, if they don’t get tackled he doesn’t have this inflated TD stat…and he’s not a great receiver out of the backfield.
Montgomery has a lot more shiftiness to his game, is younger, and is a better pass-catcher.
Like I said, I love Jamaal but he thought his agent and him overshot what his value is. I’m sure if the Saints had the money they’d rather have Montgomery as well.
I wish you all the best Jamaal, you are a one of a kind guy and a class-act and served Detroit well for the couple years you were here.

Watch the highlight at 36 seconds, that’s not Jamaal’s game at all…and the clip after that one, Jamaal can’t do those things.

4 Likes

Love to have the actual facts but I think the Lions offered more than he ended up with.

Brad should respond to the being disrespected quote. Other players may hear that and it could turn them off. By releasing a statement that gives the exact offer the Lions made will then put his agent on the spot. IF the lions aren’t lying and Jamaal ain’t lying his agent will have some splaining to do?

If his agent is trying to make the Lions look bad…they NEED to return the favor.

Isn’t it punishment enough that he’s in NOLA?

1 Like

I feel like the shots Jamaal is taking from our fan base with things like questioning his character ( nobody questioned it when he was playing ) is going to mess with the karma and we’ll have some lions’ fan type luck.

It’s like a player can’t say anything but fans are so entitled to crap on the players like when fans told me Calvin wasn’t a first ballot hall of famer and questioned his character.

It’s a cruel business. These players can be hurt by that. That seems kind of humanizing but when fans can get all in their feelings , the players are held to some other standard

He was great for us.
Lions look improved but we’ve seen lions improve on paper before and go 6-10.

Knock on wood.
Good luck Jamaal , welcome DM.

Karma Love GIF by Power of Positivity

1 Like

I think without those Short touchdowns his ypc goes up to 4.6 ish

2 Likes

Releasing a statement, i believe, would be the entirely wrong move to make. The nfl is a business and you dont want it out there that you arent negotiating in good faith etc. Regardless, as i just said it is a business and the lions were 100% within their right to offer a contract or not either way. The thought that it may have been disrespectful only works for me if the lions didnt actually want him back and in that case i dont believe brad or dan make an offer… it likely was between 3-6M and considering he signed for 4M per I dont see that as disrespectful, if it was below that than i dont know why they would have even made an offer honestly. Perhaps this is more to do with years on the deal?

1 Like

Interesting stat… yards before contact for jamaal last year 2.5 per attempt and swift was at 3.8… Montgomery was at 2.1 per attempt. The lions offensive line sure seemed to set the rb up for success.

Additionally, montgomery broke 20 tackles to jamaals 11 and swifts 5 while being tackled for loss 13 times compared to 20 and 12 times respectively.

To me this would indicate that given the olines ability to provide at least a half yard of separation more than the bears gave Montgomery and his higher break tackle rate that we may have just felt that jamaal couldnt make enough out of the plays in front of him and that montgomery will be able to do more…

He also gave an extra possession to the Bills on Thanksgiving. We lost that game in OT by just a FG.

I’m not trying to bury the guy, jussayin’. A very average powerback with a wonderful personality.

1 Like

I was just going to post this myself about his agent but you beat me to it.

1 Like

Yea, don’t buy that he would be a distraction with his “antics” not sure what that means.

Never saw that in GB and didn’t see it in the 2yrs in Detroit, enjoyed watching him and his connection to the fans, wish him well.

5 Likes