Mac Jones?

Will he declare for the draft? Is he a legit 1st round pick? Could he be in play for Lions in R-2?

With so many QB needy teams this year I wouldn’t expect him to slip out of the first round. That 5th year option is so much more valuable for a QB.

Yeah, I think he’ll get taken over Lance now. He needs an amazing O line (well maybe not but we don’t know that), so if he has that wherever he goes he’ll be great. I’d be taking a very hard look at trading up if I was Indy right now.

The one thing I liked about Jones was the pocket awareness he displayed and how quick he was able to identify his primary play was not there. He is a quick read.
I did not see the same trait in Fields. IMO Fields is a bust waiting to happen.

4 Likes

He has a first round grade right now. He was considered a late round flyer before the season. I know there are steeler talk show hosts who would love to see the Steelers take him…but they have a more pressing issue at Center and RG.

I wouldn’t want him. I like him more then fields.

Everything you’d want but the athleticism. He’s going to be a good pro IMO.

This film is interesting

I wouldn’t want him even with a second round pick but I would think that his rising draft stock is surely a good thing for the Lions if they are to stick with Stafford for the medium term. If there are three QBs off the board after 6 picks then surely the Lions are a prime candidate to trade back with one of the QB needy teams in the teens and get some draft capital especially as the Panthers will surely give significant consideration to drafting a QB with the 8th pick.

So the more hype the likes of Lance and Jones get the better.

I’d say he will probably go in the 3rd round. He’s probably got a little bit of a higher floor as a serviceable backup in the nfl, but I just don’t see a ton of upside.

His floor is 19 IMO. There just isn’t anything other than unproven, so potentially valid, skepticism that says he shouldn’t be a 1st rounder

With the new CBA, they’ve changed the 5th year option so that it basically costs as much as the franchise tag now, depending on how they play.

Thought he made a bunch of NFL level throws in the video posted.
I love how everybody else on Alabama is amazing, but Jones is an unproven backup journeyman at best with a low ceiling.

Lol

1 Like

Jones has all the time in the world to throw and a field full of open receivers to choose between. This has always been the problem with QBs on stacked rosters. Everyone points out how Ohio State QBs always failed, but it has much more to do with the talent around them than the logo on their helmet. The same is true of Alabama QBs. Has there been a good one since Namath/Stabler? Tua looked as good as Jones last night in pretty much every healthy game he played.

So Alabama is the only good college team to have a couple of winning college QBs not star in the NFL? Okay, I’ll make a note of that.

Not sure your theory precludes Jones from being a good football player.

Hence why this was said:

It just makes for a harder projection. There have been plenty of good Ohio State runningbacks, but also some duds. What makes it tough to evaluate them sometimes is the gaping holes they get to run thru during “normal” games when they have an overpowering team vs the competition. Its hard to project what the kid can do on dirty runs that are required to be successful in the NFL. It doesn’t mean they can’t do it, its just harder to look at the stat sheet and highlight reel and say “oh yeah this guy is the next big thing!”

That’s a fair assessment … and applies to a lot of Alabama, OSU, Clemson players.

A lot of them are going to be very good.

Belichik will draft him in the 1st an restart the Pats dynasty.

I also see him as a 3rd round QB, I think he’ll go in the 2nd, but I wouldn’t make that pick.

I think when you get into the big programs, you have a subtle problem. Are the players great on their own, or as a result of great talent around them.

I use what I call the “Rutgers Test”. You take a good look at a kids tape and then watch a perennial doormat team that runs similar plays. You superimpose that player from the great team onto the doormat in your mind. Ask yourself if they still stand out. As he drops back to make throw, is he going to adjust and get the ball out, or is he going to be on his back admiring the sky.

Is that all conference DE going to be able to get to the QB with that spin move, when he’s getting double teamed?

It’s hard, it’s difficult. Which of these kids are the real deal, and which are good players on a team filled with great overall talent? Which of these kids would get swallowed up and spit out if not surrounded by superior talent? Hard questions.

That’s where your best scouts really earn their money.

1 Like

Ex-Detroit Lions assistant gets why 49ers like Mac Jones: ‘He’s sharp’