Malik Willis at #2?

So over on Twitter, there has definitely been buzz building over the last few days of the Lions looking seriously at Malik Willis at #2. I’ve also noticed him climbing up mock drafts, for whatever that’s worth, but I’m seeing him show up in the top 10 a lot more lately.

In theory, I’m OK with it. If you rate a QB prospect as a legitimate top 10 player, or just somebody you’re convinced can be the guy, it makes sense to grab him at 2. Hopefully we won’t be drafting this high next year right? And for me, having John Dorsey on staff, the guy who drafted Pat Mahomes when he was not considered a sure thing, I’d trust his judgment if he thinks we should go for it. Especially if Hutchinson’s gone, and we’re deciding between a handful of guys, none of whom has emerged as the clear, obvious pick.

Two questions for the board:

1. What would you think of this move?

2. What should I think of this move? I did not catch much liberty football this year, would love to hear the draft gurus on the board give me your takes.

3 Likes

I hope we can somehow organize all the Malik Willis chatter on here into a single thread like this can be. I almost thought about doing one myself but this works.

I personally would be ok with the move. I agree that they need to plan to not be drafting this high next year.

I really think though that they like Goff enough to give him a shot to be our long-term starter, and I don’t think they’re going to get his replacement until he doesn’t pan out that way.

You should think that if the coaching staff is legit, then we are going to have a top 5 QB. If you trust this coaching staff, you should take Willis.

3 Likes

I would think Holmes and MC/DC have no faith in Goff at all to be reaching for a QB #2 overall.

It would also mean we are going to suck next year again, having your top draft pick hold the clipboard all year. I want an impact starter @ #2. Someone that can help us immediately, like Sewell did.

7 Likes

I think if you can project Willis on a Steve McNair development plan, and actually give him the bonus of being able to sit for a year, its doable. Personally, with the development of the Lions offensive line, it’s a very enviable situation for a young QB to be in coming into the league.

6 Likes

I agree that it would seem to run contrary to everything they’ve said and done with regards to Goff. Though realistically, if they’re not sold on him as a long-term solution, it’s not like they would come out and say that directly.

More to the point though, I’m struggling with the “reach” angle. I mean, the consensus here seems to be that if Hutchinson is gone, anybody we take at #2 will be a “reach.”

It is, of course, also entirely possible that the Lions are the ones fueling these rumors with the goal of getting trade offers.

5 Likes

The Den when we passed on Herbert at 3

crowd riot GIF

The Den when Goff is 0-10-1

crowd riot GIF

The Den when we look at drafting a QB 2OA

crowd riot GIF

17 Likes

Fair play, but Malik aint anywhere close to Herbert.

And to my surprise Goff actually played pretty well the last 6 games of the year. Everything in me thinks he’s getting another shot with more talent on offense with MC/DC and Johnson running the offense.

7 Likes

You’re right, and I believe all of the people who believe in that angle are also right. Nevertheless, someone will get their name called, whether they deserve it or not.

2 Likes

I do too. Though other than maybe Hamilton, i’m not sure that any of the non-Hutch edge guys in that top group will be that much more immediately impactful than one of the DEs we could take at 32. (Unless Thibodeaux is absolutely the real deal, in which case that should probably be the pick.)

2 Likes

That’s the big question mark for sure! What does B. Holmes actually think of Thibs. He could be Von Miller, that talent is there. But, he might be a huge bust as well.

1 Like

So, since I’m deeply lazy and not poring over draft evaluations, what do you think of him as a prospect? Athletically, what he brings with his game, how he might fit with what we seem to be doing on offense? He does seem a little short for a top-of-the-draft QB…

Hopefully it’s all misdirection orchestrated by the Lions to get someone to jump in front of Houston to get Willis… Maybe Atlanta, Seattle or Carolina?

5 Likes

No doubt, that is entirely possible! And also pretty smart. Remember when we were drafting at 3, and Bob Quinn announced to the league, for absolutely no reason, that Matt Stafford was his guy and we were not going to draft a QB? Good times…

3 Likes

Holmes buying bot networks to do a little bean pumping…

animation dance GIF by Lisa Vertudaches

2 Likes

My biggest fear with taking Willis at No. 2 overall is that he turns into Akili Smith, who had million dollar physical traits, but a ten cent head and work ethic.

1 Like

Is there stuff you’ve seen from him, or read about him, to make you think that’s the case?

1 Like

Quite frankly, my evaluation on his career path is more Akili Smith than Air McNair. However, I ascribe to the school that many QB prospects come into the league with equal talent base and the direction of success and failure is dictated to a large extent by the surrounding talent and the ability of the drafting team to keep them from getting shell shocked.

That being said, I think the learning curve will be steeper then people would like to believe. You can dominate at a lower level and have bad habits that will absolutely get your rear end handed to you in the pros. Especially when teams are disguising coverages and baiting with running lanes.

Can Willis be the real deal? Absolutely. Could he never reach his potential? Absolutely. It really boils down to work ethic and ability from the neck up, and that’s what Holmes has to make the call on.

2 Likes

Dang man! Get out of my head! :laughing: :rofl: :joy:

1 Like

The issue with drafting QB’s high, it’s a crap-shoot, the bust rate is extremely high in QB’s.

1 Like

That all makes sense, thanks. The one potentially mitigating factor, I guess, would be that Smith did get thrown right into a godawful situation. Goff will start next year, his contract won’t allow him to be moved. So barring injury, Willis would have at least a year where his job is solely to watch and learn before he’s playing with live ammo.

3 Likes