Malik Willis had a good showing

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=34386151

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=34386152

2 Likes

Just chiming in to comment on a phenomenon that happens every year here.

Late summer/fall comes around, and I’ll see the name of an NFL player in a thread title, and I’ll think, “Gosh, that name’s familiar, who the hell is that guy again?” And then I’ll remember that we talked about him for hours and hours and days and days leading up to the draft, and then I totally forgot he existed.

4 Likes

The backup QB is always the most popular guy, I know, but, why another teams backup?

2 Likes

So, is there another team out there with a crappier backup situation than us?

Just curious…

1 Like

Decent start to his career. A few nice passes, also a couple of terrible ones. He sure can make things happen with his feet.

4 Likes

Well Stafford’s backup Wolford has 230 yards passing total with 0 TD’s and 2 INT’s in his entire career.

Lookin’ good, rook!

I belive in him because of who he is as a man, more than his “abilities”.

I think he’ll evolve into a good one. Dude has never been around good coaching in his life.

1 Like

Getting drafted in the 3rd round might be a blessing for him. He won’t be thrown into the fire as a rookie like he probably would have been if he was a 1st rounder. This way he can learn behind a solid veteran in Tannehill without too much pressure.

5 Likes

Yup - I was thinking about that with Fields, in the Bear thread. He’s in what seems like a Stafford-like situation.

If Malik has good coaches, he will succeed. Smart, instinctive, committed, determined, good leader, great skillset, etc.

He’s gonna have ups’n’downs as a youngster, and his detractors will have thier “I told you so” moments…but in the end, Malik will be a good one.

Parallel to a Rodgers behind Favre thing…no → Tanny isn’t Favre, and nobody is Rodgers…just making parallels in principle.

Wolford is pretty good. He is way better than TB12.

His biggest issue is that on scrambles he goes in head first. Did it twice in the Arizona game and almost got decapitated. Did it again against Seattle and was taken out of the game on a gurney.

2 Likes

Based on what exactly!?

Boyle was great in the preseason with the Packers. And that doesn’t mean anything. Wolford hasn’t done anything in the regular season.

That’s Tim Boyle #12 incase that was the sticking point.

I’ve watched all of Boyle and Wolford’s actual NFL play and Wolford is a gamer. He is crafty and sees the field. He is in the mold of a case keenum. A bit limited arm but otherwise can move an offense. Boyle has a cannon but can’t aim it.

I would take Wolford as the backup to Goff on Detroit in a heartbeat. I think he can win games better than Boyle.

3 Likes

So what!

I don’t think Boyle is any good, but I think your giving Wolford way too much credit here. Undrafted guy who still hasn’t thrown a TD pass in his career.

Sure it’s only 1 play, but this is pretty ugly. Doesn’t even see the linebacker.

This is my theory: Holmes is a smart guy. I dont think he has a blind spot at the QB position. I think his philosophy is “were going to try to win now, but if Goff goes down, were tanking and going all in on a qb in the draft. “ I dont mind if this is the plan. If goff goes down, the season is over anyway, and then qb will be the glaring need for the team.

9 Likes

Watch the whole highlight video. That was his first play in his NFL career so no surprise it was a pick.

He settled down nicely and played a decent game and got stronger as the game went on. He led a nice drive and had what could have been a TD pass but Higbee goes down too easily at the 1. Then Akers fumbles.

Bad luck he didn’t get a TD or 2. If he had played as much as Boyle, I think he scores more.

I liked what I saw from Bryce Perkins tbh.

1 Like

Willis is more handsome than any of these guys!

1 Like

Yeah this highlight tape doesn’t move me or make me miss him that bad. Something off about watching him now actually. But I like that TD run

1 Like

The most difficult part is going to be getting reps. Nfl teams can’t afford to really develop players anymore like they used to with all the practice limitations they have now. I can see Willis developing into a Tyrod Taylor kind of quarterback. He has great ability and can win as a starter in the right situations.